SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Plenty of folks. Consensus seems to be that the Baader has better control of reflections of very bright stars, but is fussy about spacing - the Skywatcher is fit and forget.

Ah ok thanks stub. I only looked at this opposed to the SW one as I've read theres problem with the focus tube protruding into the scope chamber with it? 

I use the baader one and I can agree it is fussy about spacing. I found that starting at the recommended spacing and then just adding/removing a few mm will clearly see which direction you need to move it and then you can do you fine adjustment. I remember that the recommended spacing was not correct for mine and I think I need to add some extra.

(still not 100% happy with the results but maybe due to movement in the train as it have been moved about or just tracking.)

1 hour ago, spillage said:

I use the baader one and I can agree it is fussy about spacing. I found that starting at the recommended spacing and then just adding/removing a few mm will clearly see which direction you need to move it and then you can do you fine adjustment. I remember that the recommended spacing was not correct for mine and I think I need to add some extra.

(still not 100% happy with the results but maybe due to movement in the train as it have been moved about or just tracking.)

Thabk you spillage. That's food for thought. You had any experience with the SW one?

I had the MPCC too, but I switched it for a GPU (TS Superflat GPU).

First light is tonight. I'll report back as soon as I have some results.

What I can say for sure, it fits so much better into the focuser tube, without any play or tilt. I always had issues with the MPCC not fitting correctly or tilting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheCounter said:

What I can say for sure, it fits so much better into the focuser tube, without any play or tilt. I always had issues with the MPCC not fitting correctly or tilting.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this and how it compares to the Baader MPCC ! 👍

58 minutes ago, TheCounter said:

Thabk you. Results would be great from tonight. Do you have a link for the product please?

1 minute ago, TheCounter said:

Thank you! 

Quick question, I see a lot of threads saying the SW CC is to long for the focusser but the one linked below seems pretty small to me? 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-2-coma-corrector.html

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not sure about this, it's far shorter than the tube.

A lot of people shorten the focuser tube though.

Ok thank you. 

Yes I've seen a fair few in this forum advising it but not sure if the one I linked above is a newer version as this seems pretty small. 

Ah ha! I've just seen it's not the length of the SW Cc itself that the issue it's that it also reduces down to x.9 so you have to wind the focusser all the way down to within 7mm which then protrudes into the aight of the mirror, hence why people took a hacksaw to the fuccuser tube 🤣

Edited by Dan13
  • Like 1

All I can say is, that you can't use the GPU if you cut your focuser tube, as its too short to get into focus.

Glad I have a replacement left, will try again the next few days.

My new focuser should be ready to use next week.

I'm outdoors testing the GPU right now and BOY, its soo much better than the MPCC. Stars are sharper and more round, especially in the far corners.

I never thought it would make such a massive difference! Glad I switched my MPCC for it :)

I'll post a subframe comparison within the next few days.

Edited by TheCounter
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheCounter said:

I'm outdoors testing the GPU right now and BOY, its soo much better than the MPCC. Stars are sharper and more round, especially in the far corners.

I never thought it would make such a massive difference! Glad I switched my MPCC for it :)

i'll post a subframe comparison within the next few days.

Glad its working for you :) i found a SW CC on astro buy and sell thats not the x.09 reducer version so praying that its plug and play.

On 18/05/2020 at 23:08, TheCounter said:

I'll post a subframe comparison within the next few days.

👍. I'd like to see this please, did it take much fiddling with spacing ? I use the MPCC I find it very good but it is a bit faffy getting it set up and spaced correctly.

39 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

👍. I'd like to see this please, did it take much fiddling with spacing ? I use the MPCC I find it very good but it is a bit faffy getting it set up and spaced correctly.

I got the SW one (non x.09 reducer one) litterly plug and play. Rother valley have it , FLO doesnt 

I'm not sure what kind of issues are occuring here with the shape of my stars.

I've already drilled and tapped a third thumbscrew to reduce sag and loosened the mirror clips enough to slide a credit card underneath.

I use a 600D and a Baader MKIII CC with a Celestron EOS T ring. I've seen above and could it be down to the spacing being off on the MKIII?

The only thing is that the stars on the left side of the image I've attached are a different shape to the right side which makes me wonder what's causing both.

Any help would be appreciated 

This sub was 120s with a CLS-CCD clip in filter, guided in PHD

Matt

L_0354.jpg

Edited by matt_baker
  • Like 1

Not too sure when using a dslr but I would be tempted to say its a bit of tilt maybe from the actual focus tube and possible spacing, maybe too close.

I found adding or removing a couple mm gave me a clear indication where I was with mine.

Are the stars the same with a shorter/longer exposure?

Here's a 10 minute sub of the Elephant's trunk. The left side stars look pretty similar to me.

Was taken with a 2 inch Duo band filter on the end of the CC instead of clip in

How would I go about adding or removing space?

L_0302.jpg

Edited by matt_baker

On 23/05/2020 at 12:47, Spaced Out said:

I'll post a detailed report as soon as it's getting clear again here.

Spacing isnt a big deal thought. Not like with the MPCC.

On 23/05/2020 at 15:12, matt_baker said:

How far in is the focus?

Not at all mate. You have to come out more to gain focus as opposed to going in. It's so much better