Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

On 19/11/2019 at 02:25, dyfiastro said:

3D printed a rear cap

Hi. Meanwhile, at the budget end of the range, a black shower cap. 3 for €1.

18 hours ago, spillage said:

any images

Elegance defined!

s5.thumb.jpg.ade7e312318faa009448f36255e5983e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I managed a couple of hours on M45 the other night while very clear. Took the opportunity to do some visual with my 200p dob. Luckily the below freezing temperature inhibited dewing on the 130's secondary.

M45_FinA15.jpg

Edited by Shaun_Astro
  • Like 4

Does anyone store their 130PDS in a padded bag? If so what do you use? I've got a geoptik one for my 200PDS, need something similar but a bit cheaper! :) Cheers.

2 hours ago, bendiddley said:

Does anyone store their 130PDS in a padded bag? If so what do you use? I've got a geoptik one for my 200PDS, need something similar but a bit cheaper! :) Cheers.

I hang mine off a hook on the roof of my workshop.

My scope finally arrived. But there is something strange- a piece of cork washer under the mirror. Is that normal? I send back scope to the seller...

DSC_0002.JPG

cork is commonly used as a cushion for the mirror. if you look carefully there will be at least 3 cork pads. The one you can see might be a little out of position but the gap between the mirror bottom and the white aluminium cell should be even all round if they are in place.

search "cork in mirror cell" if you need more reassurance

If you want to see what a mirror cell looks like when the mirror is removed there is a 8 inch cell for sale on Ebay with pictures showing the three cork pads next to the collimation screws. Ebay number

Edited by Tomatobro
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2019 at 08:50, alacant said:

Hi. Meanwhile, at the budget end of the range, a black shower cap. 3 for €1.

Elegance defined!

s5.thumb.jpg.ade7e312318faa009448f36255e5983e.jpg

Hi

Does the black shower cap work OK then ? Could be just what I am looking for !

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Spaced Out said:

shower cap work OK

Hi. yes. Note, there's an elastic band to hold it in place.

These design types seem to have made the diameter of the cap stretch to the size of an average human head, with little regard for preventing light entering the mirror cell of a 130pds. Ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/12/2019 at 13:46, alacant said:

A dreamy rosette, but unfortunately running out of frame. The nebula extends further than suggested by kstars. Or -far more likely- I entered the focal length incorrectly in the first place. Maybe a two frame mosaic?

Comments for improvement always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

829116262_1-roseta(copy).thumb.jpg.8e4df3a8debc2fadce8e7b19be203e14.jpg

It's a wonderful render of the rosette and the star colour is good. 

• Like 3

On 03/12/2019 at 08:50, alacant said:

at the budget end

I think I beat this with a bin bag and rubber band 😃

IMG_20190906_194128~2.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vernmid said:

I think I beat this with a bin bag and rubber band 😃

IMG_20190906_194128~2.jpg

What dovetail bar length is that?

4 minutes ago, vernmid said:

bin bag and rubber band

I'll reluctantly give you the bin bag. However your elastic band  looks positively professional. 

Call it quits?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, matt_baker said:

What dovetail bar length is that

Just the standard one that came with the scope.

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Call it quits?

Fair enough 😃

7 minutes ago, vernmid said:

Fair enough 😃

Sorry should've clarified, I meant for the guide scope

4 minutes ago, matt_baker said:
13 minutes ago, vernmid said:

Fair enough 😃

Sorry should've clarified, I meant for the guide scope

At a guess, and after carefully studying the photo for several seconds, I'd guess it's the same length as the standard one that came with the scope 🙂

• Haha 1

What guide scope will be better- 50/190 or 60/240? My camera is asi120mm mini (3.75 pixel size).

Edited by Heizel

2 hours ago, Heizel said:

What guide scope will be better- 50/190 or 60/240? My camera is asi120mm mini (3.75 pixel size).

The smaller one will be fine, I use a 50/183 with a 120MC and guide to ~0.6" when the sky is nice and clear.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heizel said:

Last question- can i put this tube to celestron avx? Will handle it for ap well?

Yes, it's possible.

With careful balance, I've done 600s guided subs with that combination and a MILC/DSLR.

YMMV

9 hours ago, 8472 said:

Yes, it's possible.

With careful balance, I've done 600s guided subs with that combination and a MILC/DSLR.

YMMV

600 sek i think its enough lol  :) thanks

Edited by Heizel
  • Like 1

M45 - The Pleiades

50*180s 2.5 Hours Intergration

Nikon D5300, 130PDS, HEQ5 Pro

Processed in Pixinsight

247659398_M45v4.thumb.jpg.9df829f014d9735df7b29d72588c1778.jpg

Edited by matt_baker
  • Like 10

Posted this elsewhere, but after some serious rework I'm happy to add this to the thread, despite a few disasters on data collection. Binned 50%, Ha Sii Oiii, ASI1600 mono.

542423010_RosetteFalseColourbinned.thumb.png.d51d35855133aa1e8e12edf491f97c76.png

• Like 6

I can't believe that this thread is still going strong after 111 pages of discussion and pictures.

Looking to get back into the astrophotography, anybody got any tips for keeping bright stars from blowing out? Especially in areas such as the Horse Head Nebula.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I can't believe that this thread is still going strong after 111 pages of discussion and pictures.

Looking to get back into the astrophotography, anybody got any tips for keeping bright stars from blowing out? Especially in areas such as the Horse Head Nebula.

Welcome home Galen!

I've found that 99% of the time its really a case of being careful with stretches. Use curves not gamma and keep the upper part of the curve from levelling off.

image.png.491f57f8a1e6d331138dce4e294c104f.png

That way I've always managed to keep Alnitak separate from its companion, even with 5 minute exposures.

Of course it's easy with a Ha filter...

727300379_HOrsehead2yearsha.thumb.png.4848ed96c98b36831530501d51960a3f.png

Horsey Ha  faint stuff.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NallyFace
      Hello,
      Is anyone on here signed up for the SkySafari and SynScan beta testing to natively support IOS? If so how has it been going?
      https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043282514-Beta-Testing-SkySafari-6-iOS-Only-SynScan-WiFi-Read-This-To-Participate-?page=2#community_comment_360012192693
      Its 2020.

• By GavinC
      I thought the recent email exchange between Skywatcher support and myself might be of interest, as there appears little information available on this feature.
      ===========================================
      Hi Gavin,
      Regarding "Alignment Sharing", please see the description below.
      ## Alignment Sharing
      Alignment data is stored in each individual app instance. This means if you performed alignment using one app instance, only it will have the newly created alignment data. If another app instance connects to the same mount, it will not have access to the new alignment data.
      The alignment sharing feature (**Utility > Alignment Sharing**) allows one app instance to send a copy of alignment data to another app instance. For it to work, the devices running the app instances must be on the same local area network (eg connect to the same Wi-Fi network). The sending instance turns on **Share my alignment**, while the receiving instance turns off this option. The receiving instance should then see the shared alignment data appear in a list. Loading alignment data overwrites the previous alignment data.

You can use the Alignment Sharing to transfer the alignment data to another device after completing a Star Alignment. For example, you have done and successfully complete 2-Star alignment with your smartphone and then you can use the Alignment Sharing function to share the alignment data to the SynScan Pro App Windows program which is running on your PC. Then you don't have to do the alignment again to control the same AZ GOTO mount with the Windows SynScan App because it has the same alignment result as your smartphone has.
      If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.
      Thank you.
      SynScan App Team

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:22 AM Gavin Cox wrote:
      Hello,
      I have just seen you have updated the Synscan app firmware to 1.19.  I have this installed on a Win PC and Android phone and use it to control a AZ GOTO mount running the latest firmware using the Synscan Wifi Dongle.
      There looks to be some new functionality under the utility menu called 'alignment sharing', but I can't find any documentation in the help files on this?
      Please can you detail how it can be used?  If both my phone and PC are connected to the SynScan WiFi hotspot and I perform an alignment on my phone will the app on the PC recognise this too (or vice versa)?
      Thank you,
      Gavin
    • By Batesy82
      Hi guys,
      I've literally just signed up so I'm totally new here and excited to learn from all you professional astromaster... 
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so I do apologise if not... 
      I'm after a skywatcher eq3 pro goto mount for my celestron astromaster 130eq every website i go on they are out of stock and not available for a couple of months 🙄 does anybody know a stockist that has these in stock? I've only been in the astrophotography hobby 4 weeks so I've got lots to learn... 

Thank you for your help 
    • By Victor Boesen
      Perhaps the title is lying a tiny bit... After sleeping for one hour I woke up not able to fall asleep again after numerous attempts. I took the obligatory gaze outside at the bright summer sky with some faint noctilucent clouds towards the north. Jupiter and Saturn looked beautiful in the south and that was when I felt a sudden itch to get out my small grab and go setup. I quickly grabbed my tripod, mount-head and telescope to head downstairs to the parking lot where I quickly set up the scope. Cool-down was almost not a problem because of the hot 20 degree air which was very comfortable observing temperatures.
      Starting with Jupiter, after I had achieved focus on Altair, the two main cloud bands very obvious together with three of its moons hovering like pin-points around the perfect round sphere. I've previously been a little disappointed with the view of Jupiter with this small Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro but I blamed it on my own patience and this morning I proved myself right. After studying the planet for a couple of minutes I noticed the Ganymede shadow transit located just above (almost on the edge of) the northern equatorial belt and letting the planet drift through the FOV at 90X magnification with the 4.7mm explore scientific eyepiece the shadow together with the bands popped at me at times of great seeing. The moments where you're almost "falling into" a better and better planetary image is truly amazing and the small 72mm scope did a very good job also resolving the shadow transit as a "globe" rather than a dot. Only rarely could I tell the slight variations in the two main cloud bands of Jupiter but this was very difficult with only 72mm.
      Saturn proved to be equally fascinating just like every other time I point the telescope towards the ringed planet. Immediately slight banding was visible on the planet and the rings were very defined with the Cassini-division visible in moments of good seeing but really standing out in brief moments of very good seeing. The small evostar 72 has no problem on Saturn whereas more patience is required with Jupiter because of its low contrast features. Saturn never disappoints.
      Moving on to Mars I noticed how it had increased slightly in size since I observed it last time about a month ago. The southern polar cap was still very obvious but for some reason I recalled it being even more noticeable last time I observed Mars but I could be wrong. Right above the polar cap was a dark spot which extended to the planet's equator but not covering the entirety of the disk's width. I didn't notice any features on the northern half of the disk. The evostar does a surprisingly good job on Mars, which often causes problems for other doublet refractors with trouble correcting the red part of the visible spectrum. The evostar doesn't have much unfocused red light around the planet and the view isn't "mushy" like it would be in cases of a badly corrected refractor.

I love my grab and go setup but I also feel like I need a higher magnification eyepiece since my current weapon of choice is my 4.7mm explore scientific 82 degree eyepiece which delivers about 90X magnification. I've almost always felt I could easily push magnifications to the plus side of 100X and the Nagler zoom 3-6mm is ranked very high on my wish list:) August this year marks the first year of owning the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro and I haven't had a moment where I didn't love it. The size of it is perfect and the supplied flight case for the scope is airline portable together with some room for accessories. The optics are very good even for decent planetary observing like it was the case this morning, and I feel like I haven't utilized the scope's abilities entirely just because I think it could take even higher magnifications. I have also used it for astrophotography on my star adventurer which yields very good results with the OVL field flattener and my old Nikon D3300.
      This post ended up being quite long but I hope it was worth the read anyways. If you're considering the Evostar-72 I once again highly recommend it if you couldn't already tell from this post;)
      Clear skies, Victor
    • By Harshn
      Hi all
      I purchased a skywatcher 200p dobsonion from first light optics a few weeks back. During assembly I found that the package containing side handle and the tension control handle is missing. I have contacted the first light optics but they are not sure when and how they are going to make it available for me.
      Does anyone of you have these to spare??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.