SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

This is ny last session with one of my favorite targets, the beautiful eta carina nebula..  

This is about one hour and fifty minutes of 3 minute subs taken at iso 400. I'm planning on adding some more data to it. 

Besides the coma, I'm pretty happy with it so far. 

Ps:  it was a quick process with star tools, i need to watch some more tutorials to get the most out of it. 

101125826_carina(1).thumb.jpg.0125004c38e45f66fed43cf42d5ffe6a.jpg

Edited by Atreta
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

There we go with another SW130PDS shoot.

3h 10min in 5min subs of M106 and her neighbours from La Mancha fields. Taken last Saturday. QHY168C + SW130PDS + MPCC + AZEQ5 + Optolong L-Pro

Cheers.

Mario.

M106_final_50.jpg

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, rotatux said:

Not such a frequent subject. Pluging into the zoomed image to see the details in M106 is a delight.

Also zooming there are lots of small galaxies.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a astrophotography camera for the 130pds?

I am ready to go beyond the Canon 550d with my 130pds, which I must say it’s been amazing to use a DSLR with the 130pds

Is anyone using a ZWO camera for this scope that you can recommend ? Reason for ZWO is I am very interested in the new ZWO Asiair which makes the laptop totally redundant via an iPad

I am mainly a DSO imager, I also own a SW250 Quattro so investing in a dedicated camera will be very worthwhile

On 17/05/2019 at 21:20, Susaron said:

Markarian Chain with reviewed color correction.

MS50_HT50_tgv_hdmtr_curves_lhe_usm_et_DSE.jpg

Hi, which camera did you use to take this? I didn’t have any success on the Markarian chain using my Canon 550d modded and 60s exposures on the 130pds

Didn’t manage to capture any useful luminance data from these galaxies

9 hours ago, lnlarxg said:

Hi, which camera did you use to take this? I didn’t have any success on the Markarian chain using my Canon 550d modded and 60s exposures on the 130pds

Didn’t manage to capture any useful luminance data from these galaxies

Since one and a half year ago, I do use the QHY168C, moving from dslr to a dedicated camera boost your productivity.

I would recommend you either the ASI1600mm or the qhy163m ( both 4/3'' sensors). For color the Asi071 or qhy168c, these in aps-c format.

Cheers.

Mario

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. I think you'll need longer. This is with our 700d on 130pds but using 300s exposures.

Cheers and good luck.

Certain about that ?  This image is with my PDS200 and 30-sec exposures with a Nikon D7000.  Of course a 200PDS has more light gathering power, but if I can get something with 30-sec subs, shouldn't 60-sec ones then be useable with a 130PDS ?

M86 - Virgo Cluster DSS2a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Dunno. The OP didn't have any success. Maybe they would if there were more of them? Worth a try?

Cheers

That would be my guess. I used 175 30-sec subs for my image, but  we probably need the OP to quantify 'didn't have any success'. :)

Hi all! I'm excited to be joining you in a couple weeks as I've got a 130PDS on order (to Alaska!). 

I was wondering what options people have used most successfully to mount a guidescope? I'll have a coma corrector and DSLR hanging off the front end so I assume I don't want to use the built in finder bracket. Scope is going to be a 50mm with helical focuser and ASI120MC-S.

Thanks! I'm excited to get working with this awesome setup. 

11 hours ago, aatdalton said:

Hi all! I'm excited to be joining you in a couple weeks as I've got a 130PDS on order (to Alaska!). 

I was wondering what options people have used most successfully to mount a guidescope? I'll have a coma corrector and DSLR hanging off the front end so I assume I don't want to use the built in finder bracket. Scope is going to be a 50mm with helical focuser and ASI120MC-S.

Thanks! I'm excited to get working with this awesome setup. 

Looking forward to see your photographs.

To mount the guide scope I do use a steel plate from a housestore. Then a 3d printed bracket to hold the guidescope.

P_20180929_210245.jpg

13 hours ago, aatdalton said:

I was wondering what options people have used most successfully to mount a guidescope?

I got some aluminium U-channel, fitted to the top of the rings at each end using 3D-printed adaptor blocks, held ina 3D printed bracket so very similar to @Susaron's approach.

8 hours ago, Susaron said:

To mount the guide scope I do use a steel plate from a housestore. Then a 3d printed bracket to hold the guidescope.

P_20180929_210245.jpg

Very interesting setup. Would you have any detailed shots of the adapter bracket? 

2 hours ago, Susaron said:

P_20180919_193618.jpg

Great, thank you! Interesting using the 1/4" studs to clamp down the plate with the wheely nut thing. I only saw that being useful for trying to mount a standard photo ball head or some other accessory from below. 

On 24/06/2019 at 09:24, Susaron said:

P_20180929_210245.jpg

Hi all I see a few ppl have what I can only describe as insulated scope and tri pod legs? Is this an attempt to keep dew from forming on the out side? Would very much appreciate an insight 🤨. Thanks

The insulation for the tripod legs is usefull when you tidy up with -5 degrees and you don't want to frost your hands.

The camping mat around the scope keeps the scope at temperatures above zero C, so dew and frost take longer time to develop. Also it keeps focusing stable along the night.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

Looking at these wonderful setups I almost feel like I'm neglecting mine! Mine is not lagged and is guided with a 9x50 finder mounted in the normal shoe with a finder guider adaptor on it. Works a treat, though now I'm wondering if lagging would bring some improvements! 🤔

This beauty arrived in the mail yesterday and the moon was out this morning so I threw it on the alt-mount for my Star Adventurer as I'm waiting for my real mount to arrive. Can't wait to get imaging with this!

Screenshot_20190627-055333.thumb.jpg.61bc9cf11998b6a556facc216eaee86b.jpg

• Like 7