Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RIP Sir Patrick

russ.will

He'll be sadly missed but what a fabulous life he led; doing what he loved doing for the vast majority of it and to the very end. Ironically, I felt he was starting to look and sound a bit better on SAN recently.

If you have never read it his autobiography is a brilliant read and cheap too.

Hat's off to Sir Patrick!!

• Like 3

So very sad to here about his passing, he will be missed by so so many people R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore, You will live on in the hearts of all that followed you. And inspired me into astronomy as a child Thanks. :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

• Like 2

This man was responsible for rekindling my love for astronomy. He will be sadly missed. He had a great life, who inspired generations and probably millions of people.

The greatest memorial anyone can have is not made of stone or bronze, but is measured by how much they are missed.

Keith

• Like 2

I must add my tribute to Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore. The Sky at night was first broadcast in the year of my birth (1957) making it the longest running TV programme by the same presenter anywhere in the world. As already stated, Sir Patrick was an inspiration to all interested in astronomy. I remember too his presentation with James Burke of the Apollo moon landing in 1969 for the BBC. It was only this morning that I was watching the latest Sky at Night progamme presented by Patrick (before I heard of his demise) about Mercury on the BBC i-player. A great communicator and broadcaster, he will be greatly missed.

RIP, Sir Patrick.

Brinders

Edited by Brinders
  • Like 3

I met him for the first time quite recently and I am so glad I had this wonderful opportunity. He was a lovely person and had so much time for everyone.

He will be greatly missed.

RIP Sir Patrick.

• Like 1

I had no idea when I was watching SaN this week I was watching what would be his last episode. My heart went out to him, doing that last show seemed to take a great effort on his part.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Very sad news indeed. Massive influence on the public perception of our wonderful science and hobby. Just how many people bought their first scope as a direct consequence of watching the Sky at Night we will never know, hundreds I would imagine, I for one...I still own a copy of The Observer's book of Astronomy.

• Like 1

It is indeed a sad day and a great loss to us all.

Like many others all over the world Patrick has had a big influence on my interest in Astronomy.

I was fortunate to visit him at his home recently and shared a glass of wine on that occasion.

He was the perfect host and a true gentleman and I count myself lucky to have such a special memory of the great man.

Rest in peace Sir Patrick, we will miss you.

• Like 4

Astronomers the World over will be saddened at the news of the passing of the great man, through his inspiration many to-day enjoy the hobby because of his enthusiasm for the subject. The BBC Sky at Night has lost it`s foundation stone, I only hope that they respect his memory and continue what he started.

RIP Sir Patrick.

• Like 3

As has been said by many others before, Sir Patrick was an inspiration to us all. I watched the Sky @ Night as a small boy in the early 1960's and was enthralled by his presentations of the moon landings. His enthusiasm reached out to everyone and will be sadly missed. Thank you Sir Partick and God bless.

• Like 1

He lived a life that was worth living, it seems to me. He spent his time and energy treating people decently and following his passion. I hope I can say that of myself at the end.

I will miss him.

• Like 5