Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RIP Sir Patrick

russ.will

The early report said that his cat, Ptolemy, was lying on Sir Patrick's bed when he passed away.

Even if apochriphal, which I dont think it is, its pretty neat to Have Ptolemy on hand when another

great astronomer takes his leave.

Its also good to leave the confines of earth beloved simply for being yourself, and sharing your

enthusiasm of the universe with the world.

Sir Patrick was someone the likes of whom we should all aspire to be.

RIP Sir,

Mick

• Like 3

I am saddened to hear that Sir Patrick Moore has passed away. I have watched and enjoyed his program "the sky at Night" since I was a teenager and I am now 62 years old.

I don`t really understand the reason why it is that he became so familiar to me and my family, but I can say that he was like a much loved Uncle and a teacher all rolled into one. He was blessed with a mischievous sense of humor and an enthusiasm which was most addictive to watch. And he always made me feel as though I was listening to a dear old friend as well as a fellow astronomer.

Even my wife, who is not into astronomy as such, would always watch and enjoy the program. And at the end ( which always came too soon) we would both say, "Good night Patrick, see you next time" and we meant it with fondness, and respect. for a really great character and a proper gentleman, who will never be replaced and sorely missed by many millions of fans.

Robert Edge.

• Like 3

the really weird thing is that if you would have asked me when I got into astronomy until watching the tribute program, I'd have said about five years ago but I have always had a passing interest throughout my life. On seeing some of the excerpts and various other snippets of programs I actually remembered many of them and must have seen them as a youngster. clearly my interest has been brewing for longer than I remembered.

Dear all

I wanted to drop in and say thank you on behalf of the Sky at Night team for all these tributes to our friend Patrick. I know he would have enjoyed reading them himself (while denying, of course, that he was anything special). I'm another who owes a love of astronomy to listening to him speak, and many of the memories here could be mine too.

Do go out and work on the Moore marathon if you can.

Chris Lintott

PS Please don't ask about the future - there'll be time to think about that later. There's still one more program in the can with Patrick which will be shown in January.

I can say all members of this forum have posted from the heart. many thanks for taking time to post chris

• Like 1

I'm the proud owner of several books bearing Patrick Moore's name, many of them I've owned since before I can remember (I used to trace the spacecraft). I don't expect them to rocket in value (ho ho) but I certainly intend to keep hold of them even more now.

The good qualities of this country abounded in Patrick Moore (when I met him, he chastised me for calling him, 'Sir'). Generous, hospitable, humility and with a great sense of humour. Plus he loved cats too, which makes him all the more awesome.

Thank you, Patrick.

• Like 5

I've had the last episode of Sky at Night on the planner all week, couldn't bring myself to watch it until now.

The last sequence, Chris is talking about the solar eclipse and turning to Patrick, says "Don't you wish we'd been there?", Patrick: "I wish we had", Chris: "Next time".

I just broke down, my heart broke.

• Like 2

I've had the last episode of Sky at Night on the planner all week, couldn't bring myself to watch it until now.

The last sequence, Chris is talking about the solar eclipse and turning to Patrick, says "Don't you wish we'd been there?", Patrick: "I wish we had", Chris: "Next time".

I just broke down, my heart broke.

Think the last one is in January actually

You're right but it wasn't about that. Beulah got it.

• Like 1

rest in peace Sir Patrick moore a true legend of the universe.you inspired me into this great pastime and your echos will carry on into and beyond this universe thank you so much for bringing astronomy to us,the stars are all yours now go and enjoy.my new obsy build is dedicated to this great man (The sir Patrick moore observatory 1923-2012)

• Like 2

• 6 years later...