SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RIP Sir Patrick

russ.will

Real respect means real honesty and there were aspects of Sir PM which made me uncomfortable. However, he was a remarkable man, he created an utterly original media niche and he lived his life as he wished to live it. You can learn a lot of astronomy by reading SIr PM but you can also learn a lot about how to realize your own destiny and how to be yourself. Being yourself is remarkably difficult and Sir Patrick was very good at it. His death is a shock to us all even though his ill health made it something for which we could, in theory, prepare oursleves. I have to say that I don't feel all that well prepared right now.

Olly

• Like 9

A naff day at work was made naffer by hearing the news , so I am home , the scopes cooled down . I'm in the garden and the skies are clear and I have the planet suite playing ( yep in the garden) the sky is very good for my area and it seems there is a slightly brighter twinkle to the stars , perhaps they have welcomed another to join the gang. And I've just raised a glass of decent single malt to a man that whatever people thought about him , inspired me( a non scientific bod) to gawp at things so far away it still baffles me how we can see em :)

• Like 8

just heard.

What a life and what a legacy he has left.

I got to shake his hand once - when I was a lot younger, a long time before I got into Astronomy. I would have loved to have been able to shake his hand again, now with a greater appreciation of what he did for science.

RIP

• Like 1

A naff day at work was made naffer by hearing the news , so I am home , the scopes cooled down . I'm in the garden and the skies are clear and I have the planet suite playing ( yep in the garden) the sky is very good for my area and it seems there is a slightly brighter twinkle to the stars , perhaps they have welcomed another to join the gang. And I've just raised a glass of decent single malt to a man that whatever people thought about him , inspired me( a non scientific bod) to gawp at things so far away it still baffles me how we can see em :)

A good post 'breezy'. I know what you mean. :smiley:

The sky is reasonably clear here in Lancashire at the moment too, and I will soon be going out to look upwards once more. Tonight though, I will not focus my gaze on anything in particular. I will simply take in the wonder of it all, remember Sir Patrick and his boundless enthusiasm, and then I too will raise a glass of single malt in celebration of his life. :smiley:

• Like 2

Very sad, but what a legacy. Got me started and many of my friends as well.

I remember hearing James Burke talking in the mid seventies about being on the Apollo moon mission programmes with Patrick. Patrick told him just to give a signal when James wanted him to start talking and another when he wanted him to stop. Whatever gap needed to be filled Patrick Moore was up to it, talking animatedly and expertly in his classic machine gun delivery. What a professional!

I happened to have watched the latest Sky at Night on iPlayer this very morning. Hope there is a box-set.

old_eyes

• Like 1