we've all strode out minds truly fired

knowing well we've been inspired

So lets all look up

and smile in awe

and join this toast.

"Sir Patrick Moore"

Rip Sir Patrick you will be missed.

fine words, a very nice poem.

yes very sad news i had the good fortune to meet him twice and speak to him on the phone a few times! when i was a 10 year old he replied to my letter and we had a correspondance for nearly 2 years, thats the type of man he was , he replied to every letter he had , he always had time for a 10 year olds like me and sent me on my journey into our hobby of astronomy rip patrick stuart keenor

• Like 5

The legacy Sir Patrick leaves behind is the greatest testimony that he has achieved. His eccentricity and willingness to provide support and inspiration to the community knew little bounds and made him very likeable. I think the astronomical community will miss him greatly but what he succeeded in doing is in introducing his passion to a wider audience and helped make this accessible inspiring a many many people.

An inspirational astronomer, a legendary broadcaster.

RIP Sir Patrick

• Like 4

Sad news indeed.

Sir Patrick was a unique individual and an inspiration to generations of professional & amateur astronomers alike.

I have fond memories from childhood of watching S@N right up to this weeks episode, and not forgetting his amazing xylophone skills.

I will be out stargazing tonight in his honour.

RIP Sir Patrick.

• Like 4

Such very sad news, not unexpected, but still upsetting. Nobody ever seemed to have had a bad word about the gentleman. I hope the BBC honours his memory correctly and the sky at night continues for many years yet.

• Like 5

The legacy Sir Patrick leaves behind is the greatest testimony that he has achieved.

An inspirational astronomer, a legendary broadcaster.

RIP Sir Patrick

I couldn't agree more with this and in a way we are all somewhat part of that legacy and I think a great way to honour that legacy is to continue to try and inspire, educate and introduce newcomers young and old to the simple joys of looking up to the sky at night.

We already do it now which is why we have such a great community here, once again thank you Sir Patrick you will be with us always.

• Like 4

Only just heard on the news, a very sad day! He was a largerr than life person who has inspired many to gaze upon the night sky. There will be one more star in the heavens for us to see and remember him by. RIP Sir Patrick.

• Like 1