Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New 'Universe' Series on BBC2 Tonight

Peter Withey

Love the fluff, beats watching so called celebs dancing. Some fantastic cinematography , gorgeous locations . Quote  " we are living in the age of stars "  brilliant, like something from Lord Of The Rings   :) 

Jim 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

If you look on bbc iplayer you can binge watch the entire series

Cool.  I'll save it as mid week treat .  Second best quote " we will never know the name of the last star,   but we know that it will be a red dwarf".

Jim 

1 hour ago, saac said:

Cool.  I'll save it as mid week treat .  Second best quote " we will never know the name of the last star,   but we know that it will be a red dwarf".

Jim 

Except that by then it's highly unlikely that anyone will be around to give it a name, perhaps?

I found the whole thing seriously underwhelming and disappointing. Great CGI and I quite liked the music but neither were why I watched it. The whole thing felt like it was sci-fi rather than anything with actual science behind it. "Must do better" on Auntie's report!

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I would rather have Brian Cox throw fluff at me than end up catatonic with the endless stream of reality garbage on every channel.

What about Brian Cox on “Strictly Come Dancing” ? 😂

The graphics from his show would make a great back drop to his dancing ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With Patrick Moore you were pinned to the armchair by the blast from the TV speakers, forced to listen because of the high bit rate, frightened to move in case you missed something. After 30 minutes the pressure was off and you could go make some tea to recover and consider what you just heard.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wow. Having missed the opener I was surprised by the Guardian review however the majority here seem to express the same views.

I'll watch it on Iplayer later hoping to not be too disappointed. To be fair his last series was underwhelming too although I put that down to the pandemic. I wonder if he's actually passed his peak? 

12 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Wow. Having missed the opener I was surprised by the Guardian review however the majority here seem to express the same views.

I'll watch it on Iplayer later hoping to not be too disappointed. To be fair his last series was underwhelming too although I put that down to the pandemic. I wonder if he's actually passed his peak? 

If I was cynical, I'd wonder if it's just a "warm up" for his forthcoming tour?

• Haha 1

I suspect it would take a lot to satisfy the demands of the type of astronomers who frequent forums like this - you only have to read the current ongoing “is the universe infinite” thread to see the level we are talking about! (Interestingly Brian mentioned that without stars the universe would be an infinite box of gas). For bringing newcomers into the field, inspiring us and providing thought provoking content (maybe not everyone has read the latest on cosmic web theory) with cool graphics it certainly beats a lot of current TV offerings. I’ll continue watching!

It would still be great to see stargazing live back though…

• Like 5

Just watched the first episode on iPlayer and have to say I enjoyed it. Agree that there was not very much new content that hadn't already covered in his previous Wonders series, but that was 11 years ago. Have to say I did not see any reused footage.
Really not sure what people want from this series. Do they want deep astrophysics discussion, is so then that's more of a one off Horizon episode. 
The 5 mins at the end which is a common BBC trait where they show actual scientists involved in some of the covered content is always interesting.

As other people have pointed out its better than most of the garbage on TV these days.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Nit picking but the Guardian reviewer can't even get the number of episodes right. Do they not realise that maybe the audience hasn't watched all of Brains previous shows. 

• Like 1