NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New 'Universe' Series on BBC2 Tonight

Peter Withey

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Is it me? or does this thread now contain religious undertones ?

If so that never ends well no matter what stance you have. 

I read it more as a valid comment on the wording used within the program, hence not a direct comment on the forbidden topic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chris said:

Is it me? or does this thread now contain religious undertones ?

I think a FAIRER description might be the *program* (Cox) does/did?
But then it's folks who THEN discuss this, that "get it in the neck"?!? 🥳
[IMO] The (religious/political) "Dog Whistle" is quite commonly used
by TV Presenters! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle_(politics)

Don't let THEM divide US! The mods have my genuine sympathy... 🙂

Edited by Macavity

17 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Thank the stars it was not on ITV etc. They'd be reminding you what they'd just told you before the ad break.

....and what they're going to show you in the next bit.  I reckon most hour long commercial channel documentaries contain around 20 minutes of unique material.

Graeme

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Macavity said:

I think a FAIRER description might be the *program* (Cox) does/did?
But then it's folks who THEN discuss this, that "get it in the neck"?!? 

Are we allowed to discuss it though? 

16 minutes ago, Macavity said:

[IMO] The (religious/political) "Dog Whistle" is quite commonly used
by TV Presenters! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle_(politics)

Don't let THEM divide US! The mods have my genuine sympathy... 🙂

I don't know what others think, but for me if someone calls someone else's beliefs "blind ignorant" on a thread, then that thread needs steering back on course.

I'm sure we're able to do that on our own without the mods involvement right? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko61 said:

....and what they're going to show you in the next bit.  I reckon most hour long commercial channel documentaries contain around 20 minutes of unique material.

Graeme

Yep, and that sparse info will be spread well out and with inbuilt 'natural' pause moments between them , because even the ad free beeb will want to sell the series on to lucrative foreign markets where ads will be inserted . They'll be hoping Cox will make them as much money as Attenborough has.

I don't bother with much of the spectacular vista style of documentaries, the thinness of material , constant recaps, and reliance on the celeb. character doing the presenting , rather than the material itself annoys me. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I don't know what others think, but for me if someone calls someone else's beliefs "blind ignorant" on a thread, then that thread needs steering back on course.

Hear, hear 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I think it (might be!) quite IMPORTANT that *someone* is allowed to discuss the
way people - who claim (their day job is!) to "represent science" to the public?!?
I feel it is important to THINK about *personal* worldview of Scientists... CHECK
their associations with political and religious (even anti-religious! lol) groups? 🙂

When I WORKED in Science, it was important to ME, that I tried NOT to express a
view on "religion & politics" etc. The people I worked with - in my international
Physics Lab, might be from an entirely different religious/political background!
Mentioning such stuff was "Bad Form"?! lol. Contrary to the "spirit of science". 😎

Impartiality can lead to you being *percieved* as "in league with the enemy"? lol
I can't think of a circumstance where I would call anyone "blind ignorant"?!?! 🙀

I think it is *entirely* possible to discuss such ideas in this ERUDITE company! lol
It might help if some folk didn't WHINE...  "S/He's being religious/political"? etc.
I think it is a Good Policy that the MODS let things continue... within reason... 😉

P.S.  Got home from Covid Booster. A sucession of TRAINS and BUSES - Full of
Mask Refusniks?!? I might not worry too much what I/others say on SGL? lol. 🤣

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Yep, and that sparse info will be spread well out and with inbuilt 'natural' pause moments between them , because even the ad free beeb will want to sell the series on to lucrative foreign markets where ads will be inserted . They'll be hoping Cox will make them as much money as Attenborough has.

I don't bother with much of the spectacular vista style of documentaries, the thinness of material , constant recaps, and reliance on the celeb. character doing the presenting , rather than the material itself annoys me. 

Added sound really bugs me, especially the electronic tones used for underwater critters. Usually the only sound they make is a crunch from eating or being eaten.

4 hours ago, Macavity said:

I think it (might be!) quite IMPORTANT that *someone* is allowed to discuss the
way people - who claim (their day job is!) to "represent science" to the public?!?
I feel it is important to THINK about *personal* worldview of Scientists... CHECK
their associations with political and religious (even anti-religious! lol) groups? 🙂

When I WORKED in Science, it was important to ME, that I tried NOT to express a
view on "religion & politics" etc. The people I worked with - in my international
Physics Lab, might be from an entirely different religious/political background!
Mentioning such stuff was "Bad Form"?! lol. Contrary to the "spirit of science". 😎

Impartiality can lead to you being *percieved* as "in league with the enemy"? lol
I can't think of a circumstance where I would call anyone "blind ignorant"?!?! 🙀

I think it is *entirely* possible to discuss such ideas in this ERUDITE company! lol
It might help if some folk didn't WHINE...  "S/He's being religious/political"? etc.
I think it is a Good Policy that the MODS let things continue... within reason... 😉

P.S.  Got home from Covid Booster. A sucession of TRAINS and BUSES - Full of
Mask Refusniks?!? I might not worry too much what I/others say on SGL? lol. 🤣

Working in the science lab is pretty much the same as anywhere else. Religion and politics don't mix in the work place (or forums). Best just to respect others' views and all get on.

Edit: Ultimately these programmes are not made for us lot with cameras and telescopes pointed skyward, rather the millions who don't. No bad thing.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 4

I’m not so sure - there are many hobbyist astronomers without scientific backgrounds who enjoy “stargazing” for a whole host of reasons (relaxation, escapism etc. )  who enjoy chipping in to these forums - yes most of us are aficionados with Astro cams and at least two scopes but for many with busy lives, kids and jobs, programmes like the one in question should inspire or refresh knowledge and bring new people into the fold - there’s always a different angle. I’m sensing a lot of pseudo intellectual highbrow views on here with folk happy to claim they don’t like fluff and drama (of course a valid perspective) but in the end it is better we have some space science and astronomy on our paid for BBC licences than non at all. Fascinating how a seemingly innocuous educational broadcast should create so much debate - and border on the clearly frowned upon religion/political! All good in the end I guess. Personally I’m just hoping for a clear sky or two in the next few days to get back to why I’m into this hobby - and also a first light on a new scope 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johninderby said:

An interview with Brian Cox that sheds a bit of light on the Universe series.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/prof-brian-cox-i-want-to-launch-boris-johnson-into-space/

Thanks for posting that John, much appreciated.  I've just read it after, quite coincidently, watching the episode on Black Holes. 

Wow!  In my view, this episode in itself is more than enough to justify the making of the series.  For anybody with an open and enquiring mind, it's  something that could have a profound affect on how they think about the cosmos.  Observing M31 may never be quite the same again !

• Like 2

Just started watching episode 2 and was intrigued to try to view 51 Pegasi after BC described it in terms of a sun like star with a gas giant exoplanet orbiting - a break in the clouds allowed me to do this a few minutes ago, and although not new information necessarily (it will be for many newcomers) it still reminds and refreshes our knowledge and fires up the imagination - observing that star and knowing what is orbiting around it every 4 days (51 Pegasi b) is quite a treat for a Friday night (Saturday morning). 
Better head back out - M45 looks as stunning as ever…

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

I’m not so sure... 😀

just thought I'd give you a mention... I do see where you're "coming from" etc.
Aside: I'm still wrestling with others re. the "This is not for you" thing though. 🥳

I have sympathies for BC. I recall someone accusing him of "Killing xxxx" folks
... because he admitted he "didn't HATE" people who "Voted Differently"?!? 🙀
Maybe Brian is something of an Old Hippy -- "Do your own thing" after all! lol

In the past, when I went on an "Everyone should do Science" rants. I ended
with the notion that, these days, I no longer ENJOY Science... Or Astronomy.
Part of that is the (incessent) "religion and politics" of "popular scientists"?
Mostly, I simply no longer watch this stuff... But I still feel a BIT SAD tho. 😐

P.S. Reflecting on a bygon age: My late DAD staunchly refused to tell ME
who he voted for! I was bought up in a *secular* home. But when random
"religious" callers accused my MUM of "not caring about others' religion":
"I'll have you know I'm PROUD Welsh Methodist"! YAY - GO (late) MUM! 🤣

• Like 1

As the program is intended for generating interest in science among the general public and not the “converted” typical SGL member not surprising that many here on SGL feel the program doesn’t have enough hard science for them. So rather than criticise just be glad that someone is attempting to educate the general public.

And yes would love to see a new series on TV that would be pitched at the amateur astronomer.  

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, callisto said:

Lets get back to the program....If you're interested watch it...if not, turn it off :thumbsup:  :)

You're RIGHT of course... Maybe!? But when you find there is NOTHING
you want to watch? You tire of TV personalities "opining"? I guess you
beome a *Hardcore* ASCETIC Astronomer... who "never watches TV"? 🤣

Edited by Macavity
  • Haha 1

Not having watched the program yet I am unable to pass an opinion but it should be pointed out that amateur astronomers are a minority in the great scheme of things and Television programmes are aimed at the masses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1