Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you juggle astronomy and work

lee g

When I last partook in this hobby I worked late shift which meant finishing work at midnight then going home to observe. 
Now I work days which means I’m in bed by 9.30pm and up at 5.00am how on earth am I going to manage.

so I’m interested how do folk on here juggle astronomy, sleep and work or life in general.

• Like 1

For the same reason as you I tend to not observe during the summer months which disappoints me as I miss a lot of summer targets but I retire in 18 months and intend to observe the hell out of my summer wishlist!! 😀

• Like 4

I struggle, whatever my intentions I find myself falling asleep at 9 and missing out. Sometimes I find myself awake really early, 4 am ish and will set up in my garden, otherwise it's a Friday or Saturday night and I have to force myself to stay awake. 

• Like 3

Use the “Indian alarm clock” as mentioned by Bill Bradfield, the comet guy.

I asked him how he managed to get up early for comet seeking- he said fill your bladder before going to bed- you have to get up.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Indeed, it is a problem when some of us work FT+...but the pain and regret at missing out on gazing into the night sky, or missing rare astronomical events seems to outstrip the need for sleep, coupled with the rarity of clear skies at night in the UK..

Life, work and stargazing seem to take their turns in priority and somehow it works...but how I long for more free time!

• Like 2

When I was working it was difficult and I had to be disciplined about when I packed in, especially when I had to be up early to travel the following morning.

Since I retired in 2011 the hobby has become much easier to pursue even though the disposable income to pursue it dropped a bit !

Since 2011 my grown up children have moved out to homes of their own as well which has had some benefits in terms of storage space and lights on around the house late at night. Still miss them though :undecided:

• Like 3

It can be a real struggle.  I can work very long hours which is the first impediment as often I just want to go to bed.  Second, as much as I would like to focus on astronomy even more, I do have a life outside of this one hobby, which means other plans often clash (frustrastingly) with clear nights, and I have to mindful that it is not fair on my wife to disturb her trying to climb into bed at some early hour.

All that being said, I try to keep an eye on longer range forecasts to plan a night, and my wife is also very supportive, so trips away (of which there are quite a few) will often see some optical aid taken along with the understanding, if the weather plays ball, I may binge on astronomy.  A holiday to Benguerra Island in Mozambique last year resulted I think in 10 observing sessions in 14 nights (though some were just an hour or two in length). 

• Like 2

For me it is sporadic: hard to get work + family + wind + transparency + cloud cover + moon phase + ... all to align 😂

Sometimes I go out, and for one reason or another things don't go to plan, and that can be disappointing & frustrating.  But then you get a magical night that leaves views burned into memories that last years 😉

Most of the time I have to prioritise work, but sometimes for something special or if the night is too perfect to miss, I put up with being wrecked and winging it in work 😁

• Like 2

It's very sporadic for me and sometimes I can go for long periods without setting up my scope.

I've been trying to get a proper start in imaging but it's just not possible to do anything in the brighter spring/summer months as I usually have to be finished by midnight. I know I'll never be able to put the time in to capture anything like the stunning pictures posted here but what I do get will be mine.

I actually love the early nights and I'm looking forward to September when I reckon I'll start to get some usable time with my new ASI533MC...weather permitting, of course.

Edited by Philter
  • Like 2

Having only relatively recently started, I have had some very blurry eyed mornings. Since COVID-19 I have been working from home all the time as opposed to my usual schedule of working at home three days a week and in London the other 2. This has made matters easier but still there have been nights where I have had 3-4 hours sleep before getting up and going straight to my desk in the study.

Since I image more so than visual I have settled into a somewhat better summer routine. I have a very annoying street light that gets turned off at 1:13am (yes that precisely). Now I tend to set an imaging run going at about 11 and set an alarm for 1 and sleep on the sofa, near to my laptop which is connected remotely to a mini PC controlling my rig. When I wake I check progress and often also switch targets when the streetlight goes off. If PHD2 loses the guiding the beeping the software makes tends to wake me anyway. Once I have set a new target I then repeat the process and sleep 1:30-3:30 after which I then bring the rig in and go to bed and sleep 4:00-8:00 having already had 4 hours sleep. It is obviously somewhat broken sleep but at least it is 8 hours and I look somewhat human for 9am remote video meetings!

Obviously this strategy only really suits DSO imaging.

With me partially retired, I'm lucky to have 4 days a week to try and observe. 

It helps that my work shift is 4am to 1pm so on my days off my internal clock always goes off at 2am.

Everyone laughs though at me being able to go to bed at 6:30 PM with almost 2 hours till sun set. I just close my eyes and go to sleep.

• Like 1

I think that’s such a good question.  Like many, I work quite long hours, have a youngish family and other responsibilities elsewhere.  Ultimately my life is more complete for all of those things including astronomy, so it’s all about balance.  The stars won’t be going anywhere.  I used to feel guilty for not going out when it was a clear, moonless night -I would be torn between going out and enjoying things, and not getting overtired for family and work. But I’ve come to realise that it’s ok - this is a hobby, for enjoyment, and I should just go out when I feel I’m able to.  Since deciding on that I’ve had much more relaxing and enjoyable observing sessions.

All that said, I was out several nights on the trot recently for NEOWISE during my busiest time of year for work, so I found the short term answer was just more coffee!! 😂

• Like 4

I guess I'm lucky - I've always been a night owl. I happily go to bed about 2 am with no problem getting up for work next day.

I can push on till 3 am and get by on 4 hrs sleep as long as I don't do it too often ! 

• Like 1

I tend to have quick binocular sessions, very early in the morning, as I'm out of bed by 4am for work anyway, getting up at 3am isn't too much of a struggle.

But, as John and Paul have said, it's just a hobby and if I get one or two good nights per year, then I'm happy - I just try to make sure they're good nights.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

I work a normal daytime job so work doesn't clash with night time but workload means I often don't have the energy to observe and if I do I cant afford to stay up late.

I get around this by having quick set ups ready to go on an opportunistic basis as I usually can't plan an observing night, rather I take opportunities if the coast is clear work wise and family wise.

My sessions are usually short and the number of targets are few and I rarely stay up late, but I do observe all year round.

I think in this hobby sleep deprivation is something to look out for and to take care to avoid exposing yourself to over the long term, it's insidious and not something most people associate with poor long term health.

With great difficulty. 

The summer sky between Hercules and Altair and the summer southern sky around Scorpio and Sagittarius, Scutum and all that area is still a bit of a mystery to me because it is unobservable almost when I have to be up for work and it's dark so late from UK in May/June/July. 

Indeed, the best I have seen it is from Lanzarote when on holiday where it is higher in the sky and it gets dark much earlier there.  I always ask for a high balcony facing the sea with unobstructed views.  Can spend hours with the bins, it is a glorious area and a great pity I feel that I and many others currently miss out on it.

53 nearly and want to retire at 58 - as long as my pension has not bombed as a result of COVID.

I work shifts, dayshift and occasional late shift. The alarm usually goes off at 0530 and by the time it’s getting dark during the summer I’m struggling to stay awake.

Young family and other commitments sends observing down the list. When I can get some time outside observing  it is very rewarding.

regards

ian

Edited by ian2

Automation has helped alot.  Although I don't have a ROR observatory, I have a permanent pillar and the mount is polar aligned ready to go.

Set up connection time in about 10mins..... Imaging runs are all pre-programmed once the target is selected ..... hit 'play' and remember to 'goto' home position before a pier collision etc...

As long as there are no showers  or rain forecast, you can leave it til dawn imaging away and then throw a cover over it first thing whilst getting ready for work.

Makes it doable.     Although when things do not play ball, then the late nights catch up with you !!!!

I put both into the pot, brought to the boil and lived happily ever after - or, until the pandemic appeared, at least!

More seriously I think the only way to do both in normal life is to robotize your imaging rig.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I put both into the pot, brought to the boil and lived happily ever after

Show off.😁😁

If only more of us had the courage to make the jump.

Paul