Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light Optics

MikeP

Here are the facts. You make up your mind as to the level of service I received.

Ah yes, I remember that well, just about everything that could go wrong did :(

My notes are more succinct than yours. They say order placed 1st Aug, expected delivery 2-weeks, then it was delayed at customs, arrived and dispatched 25th August only to find it had the wrong flange. Fortunately Ron at Moonlite offered to arrange a solution direct with you to avoid further unnecessary delay. He's good like that. I feel sure we apologised but am happy to do so again.

Orders from the US can be problematic but fortunately your orders placed after that were less dramatic. Here they are:

2***1 : 5th Aug : Dispatched same day

2***1 : 21st Sep : Dispatched same day

2***5 : 17th Oct : Dispatched next day

2***5 : 28th Oct : Dispatched same day

2***0 : 31st Oct : Dispatched 3 days

2***3 : 1st Nov : Dispatched next day

2***4 : 15th Nov : Dispatched same day

2***9 : 24th Jan : Dispatched same day

2***8 : 17th Feb : Out of stock so refunded next working day

We don't do too badly :D

The vast majority of our orders with FLO have been trouble-free. More often that not the gear is received the next day, and any delay, I have been able to check the progress of the order online.

On the rare occasions when things have gone wrong, usually not FLO's fault, FLO has sorted problems quickly:

- We ordered an ST80 guidescope. The foucser was damanged in transit. FLO sent out a replacement immediately. Fedex delivered the replacement the next day and picked up the faulty one.

- We ordered a Rigel Quikfinder and it broke. Immediately replaced by FLO, who said drop off the old one at the star party we were going to.

- Problem with puck on NEQ6 - immediately replaced by FLO, drop off the problem one at the star party.

- Some scratches on a base plate for a focuser, immediately replaced by FLO.

- Screws not included with an ADM saddle. Martin at FLO contacted ADM for us and sourced the correct screws.

Also, FLO has helped source things we were having difficulty finding:

- We wanted a plastic holder for a handset. FLO sourced one for us.

- We wanted a Losmany dual mounting bar with dual saddles at each end. There wasn't such a thing at the time, FLO got one made for us.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a review to both thank and praise First Light Optics for an efficient and customer friendly service - thank you!

I contacted Martin several times before finally deciding upon my first telescope. All my questions were answered in a full, professional, and timely manner. They were also put in a way that even I could understand! Thank you!

The FLO website is easy to navigate, and the checkout process keeps purchasing simple.

I was told before purchasing that my scope was not in stock and would have to be ordered - being told an accurate timescale for delivery. I was even telephoned at dispatch as requested.

When the scope did arrive it had marks on the mirror - I must stress that this was no fault of FLO as the package was factory sealed.

I contacted FLO about this, and without question they replaced the scope within a couple of days. The exchange was made at no additional cost to myself - with Fedex taking the damaged scope when they delivered the replacement.

FLO have shown that they are a company that does actually care about what they do and the products they sell, and I will definately use their service again. I've recommended them to several friends that have now caught the astronomy bug.

Many thanks Martin for your assistance :D

I would have added this to one of the numerous FLO threads on the reviews forum but it seems I can't reply to them...

Anyway, I'd really like to thank FLO for absolutely fantastic service - not to mention the fastest delivery I've experienced with any supplier!

Ordered a TAL 2x Barlow around 3pm yesterday (7th March), got an email around 5pm to say it was despatched, only to find itself on on my door mat in less than 24 hours after I clicked "checkout" now THAT'S service...

I have had in the past some very good experience with flo and sometimes think that the exceptional service they provide goes against them when it doesnt go quite so well.

I ordered two items around two weeks ago, one arrived within a week which was suprising as it was out of stock. The other was in stock but so far has not arrived, no dispatch notice or infomation of any kind. I have emailed in but still nothing days later.

I know the guys are moving but information and status updates are very important. I have since made a futher order and I am waiting for infomation before making a few more.. hopefully it wont be too much longer for contact

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

I'll just stick to the facts without opinion:

I placed an order on the 2nd of March.

I Didn't here anything for about 4-5 days.

I tried phoning and emailing quite a few times over the next 5-6 days, and resorted to sending a PM to FLO on SGL still with no reply.

I Recieved a reply from James from FLO on day 10, he apologised and explained about the dificullties FLO have been having with the move, and staff illness. He also informed me that my order was out of stock and suggested alternatives.

I researched the alternatives and responded the same day to change my order.

It is now been nearly 4 days since this first contact from FLO and again I have heard nothing.

I have again sent another Email today, and will await to see what happens??

They took my money for the order nearly 2 weeks ago.

I emailed FLO regarding the correct choice of dew shield for my scope, had a prompt reply within a few hours, placed my order yesterday and it has just been delivered.

Cheers guys nice and quick.:)

Hi Daniel,

Apologies for our phones, we are short-staffed at the moment ;)

We haven't recieved an email from you at questions@ or contact@ since you placed your order seven days ago. When you placed your order our website showed the item as out of stock. If you check your order at our website you should also find a note attached saying "Flocking material on backorder - awaiting ETA from suppliers". Unfortunately we are still waiting on an ETA from the supplier but if you click on the 'Notify me when this item is available' button our website will automatically email you when it is back in stock and you will recieve your order shortly after.

Hope that helps,

Steve

I ordered a micro four thirds T thread adaptor from flo on sunday, it arrived today, very well made and fits like a glove on my Olympus pen, with my photo visual eyepiece

Thankyou flo:icon_salut:

I have had another experience with flo this week and i am pleased to say it has been a good one. I made an enquiry a about an item and had a prompt response.

I then made an order online and the item was marked as in stock. I then received a quick response saying that all the items I had ordered were not in stock and the approx dates they will be back in stock and asked what i would like to do.

although the item was not in stock the speed of responses makes this a very positive experience with some nice and fast problem resolution and communication.

I ordered a heq5 and 6 other items from FLO on 20.3.12 at 7pm all items arrived on 22.3.12 at 11am cant ask for any better than that.Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS WEBSITE:hello2::):hello2::)

With the recent posts on SGL about FLO I am compelled to share my recent experience.

Friday 23rd March

@1.30pm I went to do a little solar viewing/imaging only to find that my powerlead had suffered a severe malfunction. The cigarette connector was totally detached from the lead :blob10:

@1.40pm I frantically placed an order with FLO for a new lead

@1.43pm I emailed FLO asking if they would be able to get the lead out to me for Saturday due to its criticality.

@2.35pm I recieved and email from FLO confirming they had recieved my order and that it would be despatched the same day.

@4.12pm I recieved an autoemail informing me the lead had been desptached first class.

Saturday 24th March

@11.45am Postman knocks on the door with the lead.:o

22 Hours and 2 minutes - How's that for EXCELLENT service!!!

Especially considering the pressure these guys are currently under.

I have never had anything put great service from FLO and once again they have proven themselves.

For those of you with concerns, while you may feel frustrated, please have a little patience as I am sure that FLO are (and always do) doing their VERY best to satisfy your requests/orders and go that extra mile. They can not be held accountable for issues outside their control but I am sure they are doing everything within their power to influence these as well.

Great Job guys (and girls)!!!!

Justin

I wanted to get a short tube refractor this month as a basic grab and go bit of kit, found the one I wanted one FLO's website the Skywatcher 120mm F5 AZ3 kit. I thought thats the one for me!

Then i read a few posts saying lack of response and shortage of scopes :blob10: But ive met the guys a FLO and dropped them a quick email to ask if they had it in stock and ETA on delivery.

No problem on a response, had a few emails the same day saying it was in stock :o

Ordered the scope friday morning and a few Vixen eyepieces, all items delivered to my work bang on 9am this morning :p I must admit for a short tube refractor the 120mm is a bit of a beast!!

Great service, good communication and a very honest supplier. Particularly when they make us aware of stock problems upfront.

Placed rush orders with both suppliers over the weekend, arrived today in time for tonight's observing, one big surprise was that the 2" cls filter I ordered drops straight in to the filter holder in my cannon 600mm f4 L lens( 48mm ) slot.

:blob10::o:p:D:D

i'm not here to cause a debate or dis any supplier so ill give the facts...

i know im fairly new top the scene and have found issues with one supplier in the past so wont use them again but i had used first light optics several times and found them great, they even through their messaging system helped me decide on my scope

when i recieved my scope the on/off knob on the finder wasnt right but it still worked so i didnt mention it.. but it eventually died on me on the 10th of this month so i contacted flo to ask if i could get a new switch (id be happy to fit it myself), steve at flo answered my message straight away and said they would replace the whole finder scope but it would take about four days. happy with that i waited...

last weekend (23rd) i ordered a few bits from flo, and emailed them to say dont send them yet wait till you get the new finder as itll save you paying double postage. i als said that due to the scope being hard to use without the finder and with the forcast for a good week i'd be prepared to buy a new finder scope if they would look at doing me a deal and knocking a bit off... persoanlly i thought i couldnt be any fairer.. i had been waiting 13 days when i expected around 4.. and yes i know theres supply issues with the scopes themselves which is why i waited patiently

so now on 30th a week later and almost three weeks after they said they would send a replacment im still stuck here... a week into gorgeous weather with a scope thats of little use as i cant align it to use the goto... and with them not having replied to my message.. after a week ;)

i just know by the time i get a new finder the clouds will have rolled back in :)

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delayed response, it has been an extraordinary month.

Regarding your RDF, it appears we misunderstood the message you attached to your last order:

"hello, i am waiting on a warrenty replacment red dot finder for my nexstar 6SE. you can hold of on posting these until it arrives with you and post in one go.. it'll save you paying delivery twice".

We have a replacement RDF here waiting to go, we'll dispatch it when we reopen Monday.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Hi All,

Bought a SkyTee2 from FLO late January and had a few problems with it. Discussed these with Martin and then later with Steve.

I was still not 100% happy so Steve then suggested we just swap for a new one to see if that helped at all. Not begrudgingly but with a (virtual) smile.

FedEx man duly arrived, delivered a new one and took away the old one. Very easy.

New one doesn't have any of the issues I had with the old one and now (once I change the saddles) I'll be very happy with this excellent and easy to use mount.

Anybody can take your money and push boxes out of the door. Not many will take the time to discuss and suggest solutions. And fewer still will actually be happy to organise a return and replacement for you and to ensure you are 100% happy. And all at a time when FLO were really busy/being tested to the limit. That is the difference between an astro retailer and a great astro retailer.

Thanks to everyone at FLO.

Cheers

Ian

I just thought I'd share my recent experiences dealing with FLO.

After a slightly shaky first order from them I thought I'd give them another try.Ive now had 9 deliveries from them and they've been excellent.

Most things arrived the next day and the postage is free most of the time.

I have to say if anyone has had any trouble ordering for the first time it's worth giving them another go.

They do take good care of you and I look forward to doing years of business with them.

Thank you FLO.

Danny.

It isa not often that retailers do themselves out of business, and even rarer that they actually offer you an alternative that loses them business, but that is what has just happened at FLO.

I had just purchased a T Ring for my Canon and could not see how to get it onto the focuser so looked in FLO's catalogue and saw a T adapter that I thought might do the trick.

Before wasting my money I decided to write to Steve at FLO and ask if I this was the right piece of equipment and he replied very quickly telling me how I could attached the T Ring without buying the adapter. Tried his suggestion and it worked a treat!

So a big thank you to a retailer who puts customers satisfaction before profit margins.

Hat's off to Steve.