Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light Optics

MikeP

FIRST LIGHT OPTICS:hello2::D There Awesome and have dealt with them for a few years now and top class people like Martin and Steve but I have dealt with Martin mainly and does not live to far away from me in Kingskerswell in Devon and who works there and gives you a quality first class service and there very happy to help and always answers your questions in emails. Everyone on the planet should deal with FIRST LIGHT OPTICS or should I say FIRST CLASS OPTICS:icon_salut::). Ordered my Skywatcher 127 Mak and CG-5 GT Mount from them among other items and delivery is super quick. High standards and a great company and service. :(:icon_salut::) :bs::hello2::(

I received a new tripod from FLO today. Good delivery and good product but experience marred by damage to tte product.

As I've posted elsewhere, the box the tripod came in was selotaped up (my initial thought was that this is a returned item repackaged and sent out again to me).

Opened up the box and then the plastic bag the tripod came in. Several small bits of plastic fell to the floor.

Turns out a plastic ring, just above one of the rubber feet, had shattered.

No chance of a superglue repair.

(Box the tripod came in was undamaged so don't think it was damage in transit).

Don't think it's a major issue. Will either try to patch up an alternative (the plastic ring acts as a stop when retracting tripod feet) or will just "do nothing".

Tried to phone FLO but get an answer machine (no doubt due to xmas madness) so I've just decided to live with it.

A return process will probably just be an inconvenience during a busy time of year at work (am not at home or regularly in the office to accept courier delivery or return goods).

No doubt many of you will say FLO will do this or that but I just wanted to relate my experience. It has taken the edge off the pleasure I have a receiving such a sturdy piece of kit.

This post is not intended as a whine and hopefully will be taken as intended - an observation and constructive critique.

post-31088-133877703731_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear your tripod arrived damaged. Please contact our helpdesk (email link below) so we can arrange collection/replacemant. We can collect from a neighbour or friend if that helps.

We tape the top and bottom of the box to prevent the tripod feet or head breaking through. Occasionally one is still damaged in transit though I haven't seen a breakage like yours before, usually it is the centre-column lock-nut.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

HTH,

Steve

A return process will probably just be an inconvenience during a busy time of year at work (am not at home or regularly in the office to accept courier delivery or return goods).

UPDATE

After contacting FLO via email a replacement procedure was arranged that was convenient for me and my work/life schedule.

New tripod arrived today safe and sound.

I'm impressed in these days of lackadaisical service at other companies.

Praise where praise is due. A pleasant surprise to receive proactive service from FLO (Martin).

They'll be getting my business again.

Edited by Grunthos

Another thumbs up from me on FLO's service. My original query about the dovetail bar I wanted was sent out of office hours (10.26pm to be precise) and response was made next afternoon, correct information was given to me by Martin and I made the order based on his reply, delivered by the second day after order. Can't really ask much more considering the time of year too.

FLO are often featured here with good comments, and they sure deserve it. I made an small order to ship to France a few days before Christmas and it's all delivered.

When moving abroad, it's great to have good support from Blighty!

really good service this week! james was very helpful sorting out my solar filter order. it turned out they didn't have what i was after, but getting e-mails at 9pm on the first day they re opened is pretty dedicated!

Just received my Vixen A80mf + Mini Porta from FLO. Amazingly, I had a mostly clear (if moonlit) night, and could do have a quick look at Jupiter and do a few star tests.

I was a touch confused when tracking the delivery, given that fedex.com doesn't seem to know about ANC couriers (fedexuk.net) parcels, but my queries were answered promptly and in detail, the kit arrived quickly and in good order.

All in all, another happy customer.

Ordered a Skywatcher 200p EQ5 Goto on 7th December - was on backorder but still arrived a day early on 13th December :)

Ordered a Cheshire Collimator on 9th December - arrived the next day.

Ordered a Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece on 11th January and arrived two days later.

Can't ask for better than that and will be using FLO for all future purchases.

Paul

Had some brilliant service from Martin at First Light Optics recently. Been on the look out for some new eyepieces and finally plumped for a Baader Hyperion 24mm after some great advice from him.

As with all new astro purchases when they arrive through the post the clouds decend, so now I am chomping at the bit wanting to get outside and try it out. Top marks FLO.:)

Just like to add my two penneth worth to this thread.

200P Dob ordered on Monday night, so effectively Tuesday morning.

Delivered safe and sound by Fed Ex Thursday morning, a mere 48hrs later.

Delivery charge ........ A fiver!

Nuff said :):icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone at FLO, ive recently had a problem which has been resolved in a way which goes beyond whats expected ( or delivered from other suppliers ) If any new members are wondering what there service is like. You will not be dissapointed with FLOs service and especially backup, period.

Ive always found this to be the case, and so have many other customers. The level of service and support is outstanding.

Cheers Steve / James ect

Neil

Hello,

In the spirit of an unbiased view of First Light Optics (FLO) I would like to share with you the customer service I have received from FLO.

I was in need of a new focuser for my Equinox 80 refractor and decided that I wanted this upgrade before a planned trip to the west coast of Ireland for a dark sky trip.

Here is the timeline of this event.

1st August 2011

I placed an order with FLO for a Moonlite refractor crayford focuser in black with an skywatcher Equinox flange fitting showing as in stock in the website.

2nd Aug

Email sent by me to confirm that the item was available and ready for dispatch.

Told that this item has a two week lead time as they dont hold the stock on the shelf. I decided that two weeks was not unreasonable for a very nice product.

15th Aug

Email sent again to find out if item was now ready for dispatch.

told by FLO that the item is at customs and will be dispatched on the 22nd Aug.

23rd Aug

Emailed again since I had no communication from FLO during this time.

24th Aug

Still no reply from FLO and no answering of the telephone.

Logged helpdesk ticket #9362 stating that I needed this item for a trip to Ireland and that I needed an update as to what was going on.

Reply from FLO recieved and told that it would be dispatched on the 25th or 26th.

25th Aug

Focuser dispatched via Fedex.

26th Aug

Automated email from FLO stating Moonlite focuser with Equinox fit now dispatched.

Focuser arrived but supplied with the skywatcher Evostar Pro fitting

Helpdesk Ticket raised #9410. Ticket was deleted without reply. No answer on the telephone. Now insufficient time to source the focuser from an alternative supplier.

27th Aug

Left for Ireland. Not taking imaging kit as no replacement focuser to fit.

3rd Sept.

Returned from Ireland.

4th Sept

FLO arranged pick up of incorrect flange.

5th Sept

Ron at Moonlite dispatched the correct flange fitting.

9th Sept

Replacement flange provided direct from Moonlite. I dispatched the incorrect one direct to Moonlite. Postage paid by moonlite.

Total 40 days from ordering to delivery of correct item I ordered.

In contrast I needed to have the moonlite modified for my needs.

I sent the moonlite focuser direct to Ron at Moonlite and with dispatch to USA, the work performed by the manufacturer and sent back to me in less than 14 days from original enquiry with moonlite.

Here are the facts. You make up your mind as to the level of service I received.

My next poor service report will follow.