Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Future Talk Suggestions

daz

Hi all

Please use this thread for any suggestions you would like to see for future talks.

Imaging is clearly going to be a popular subject, so we are working on putting together a whole suit of workshops and talks relating to all aspects of imaging, including post processing - Stacking, Aligning, Stretching, Nose Reduction, etc..  We're also looking at Planetary/Lunar imaging/processing as well.

We're really keen to hear from Observers , so we can use the platform to reach out to all astronomers. Traditional observers, Bino-viewers or binocular users, solar projectionists, sketchers - done any eye piece comparisons you'd like to share? We really do want to hear from you!

Over to you!

As an observer I think the following topics might be of interest:

- A look at "whats up" over the coming, say, 2 months.

- Collimation tips and methods.

- How to star hop.

- Tips on how to get the best out of the deep sky under light polluted skies.

- Tips on getting the best planetary views taking account of the planetary apparitions that are coming up.

- Sketching techniques.

- Solar observing methods, white light and H-Alpha.

Those are ones that popped into my head immediately - I'm sure there are many others. Some of the above could be combined of course.

Thanks for asking :icon_salut:

• Like 13

Comprehensive list from John already, which I agree with 👍👍

We could also consider:

Double Star observing

Lunar observing and the Lunar 100

How about something on seeing conditions and transparency, and when best to observe what? Perhaps wrapped into another session

Smartphone imaging

If I think of any more I’ll put them up here. Happy to help in any way I can.

Stu

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 - That small might be humble but does show more than the mk1 eyeball so plenty to explore

2 - what you can see if observing with only the mk1 eyeball: constellations/ meteor showers / Moon phases / occulations / jupiter + venus / rotational movement / Moon eclipses / milkyway / star colours / star twinkling

• Like 3

Picking up on John's third item, practical collimation tips would be very useful, for both observers and imagers. Especially for dealing with cantankerous RC type 'scopes.

• Like 2

I concur with John and Stu. on Info for Observers, there are many of them on SGL, and imperative they included in this new innovation.

Back to the Imaging side again, I'm sure there are many who would benefit from tuition on the various software applications that successful imaging results greatly depend upon . These talks need not delve too deeply, and consist of a question and answer format.

Sequence Generator Pro,. Maxim DL,  PDF giiding, and others that make up a list.   The audience can contribute of course, as many folks will have a sound knowledge of many of the Software packages concerned.  I realise these topics will likely eat up some time, so limits would need to be set. Un reconciled  questions could be concluded in other sessions.   Perhaps Graphic assistance as useful tools could be employed too

I realise this might asking too much, so feel free to ignore.😉

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

I am sure that one of the most asked questions is "how do I attach my camera to my scope" the talk could look at things like backfocus/extension tubes/coma correctors/field flatteners and the importance of the mount in relation to the scopes focal length...

Alan

• Like 3

On 28/05/2020 at 18:29, Alien 13 said:

I am sure that one of the most asked questions is "how do I attach my camera to my scope".

A wider question is will stuff be compatible? There seems to be sleight of hand when vendors describe equipment and it’s easy to be fooled by inadequate spec’d products and over optimistic claims. Hence (I’m learning to my cost) it’s best to look around on SGL or CN to see what works best. There are some flimsy (popular) “plasticky” camera brackets out there...

Simon

PS last week’s talk was truly excellent but I couldn’t help noticing that many of us (men) will suffer extreme hair loss e.g. going bald when pursuing this “fickle” hobby. The speaker was one of many (could have been the only) face/head needed.

Edited by SimM

On 28/05/2020 at 18:13, apophisOAS said:

How about which targets are good for which filters ie the right combinations for various targets(maybe allowing us to choose 1 favourite target.

+1 for HOWTO filter e.g. using an App like Sky Safari or Cartes du Ciel etc. and also how to see how long an object is at a “high enough” altitude for a “reasonable time” in the evening - like the charts in in C. Bracken’s Astrophotography Planner (more useful for 30 than 51-2 degrees latitude here in the UK). For HOWTOs Any topic that’s “practical” for good results.

Simon

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scott said:

No argument from me :)

I suppose that is the challenge.

Imaging centered sessions might be of limited interest to observational astronomers and observation centered sessions may well not attract the imagers.

Would mixed content sessions work - something for all ?

I reckon imaging is the dominant sector of amateur astronomy and probably this forum currently, in which case I can understand why topics relating to that will be the mainstay of these sessions.

Perhaps "Stargazers Lounge" needs to be re-titled ? :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John said:

I suppose that is the challenge.

Imaging centered sessions might be of limited interest to observational astronomers and observation centered sessions may well not attract the imagers.

Would mixed content sessions work - something for all ?

I reckon imaging is the dominant sector of amateur astronomy and probably this forum currently, in which case I can understand why topics relating to that will be the mainstay of these sessions.

You might be right, John. But I like the broad approach that SGL takes. I'm primarily an imager (well, CCD photometrist), but I do a reasonable amount of visual work. Sometimes at the same time 🙂

I learn about, but even more importantly I get enthused about, both aspects of the hobby through SGL.

Long may that continue!

• Like 5

Though I'd almost certainly watch talks on many of the suggested topics, personally I don't feel that there's a need to have "something for everyone (or even imagers and visual observers)" in every talk.  If there's a balance overall then I'm quite happy to skip ones that I feel aren't really my thing.  Or I might watch them anyhow just to see what it's all about.

My county beekeeping association is doing something similar and I've done the same there -- some I'll watch and others I'll skip if I feel they're not particularly relevant to me.

As for a suggestion, not something I currently do, but something that interests me from the point of view of the science, would be a talk on occultation timing -- who does it (I believe there's a fair bit of input from amateur astronomers), how it's done, what the data is used for and so on.  Along similar lines I guess I could add spectroscopy, meteor tracking and "diy" radio astronomy.

James

• Like 1