NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back for good

Philip.

After joining in 2012 I guess I lost my mojo 3/4 years ago partially due to the rubbish weather down here in Penzance and other factors. The good weather however during lockdown has made me miss stargazing so I decided to fire up my scope once more [a bit late in the season I know lol].

I think I rushed everything a bit first time, desparate to see everything asap and getting frustrated, now I'm of the opinion if I can get out, brilliant, if not the night sky will still be there another time.

Anyhoo, good to be back 😀

• Like 19

Welcome back. Oh how I envy you down there at the end of Cornwall.  Do you have access to dark skies?  The weather recently has been the longest run of clear skies at night I can remember.  I imagine it's been pretty good down there where you are too. 

..... And because we're all stuck in lockdown I'm  "socially distanced" from my scope, which is in Cornwall. Arrggghhhh!!! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Welcome back. Oh how I envy you down there at the end of Cornwall.  Do you have access to dark skies?  The weather recently has been the longest run of clear skies at night I can remember.  I imagine it's been pretty good down there where you are too. 

..... And because we're all stuck in lockdown I'm  "socially distanced" from my scope, which is in Cornwall. Arrggghhhh!!! 

Pre lockdown I used to get out to Pendeen Watch, which is a good place for viewing. There used to be a small group of people [Lands End Astronomers?] but they seem to have given up too.

Thank you for the welcome back, however my return seems to have brought a change in the weather, at least in West Cornwall, cloudy skies, wind and the threat of showers later in the week. I do apologise, really I do 🙄😅

As the song goes,.                                                "Never Give Up On A Good Thing".  Astronomy and SGL are inseparable,   you may take break occasionally, but you are gravitationally bound, and escape is not possible.   Pick up your instruments, and enjoy the good skies that await you.

In other words, Welcome Back.👍

Ron.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2020 at 08:13, Philip. said:

After joining in 2012 I guess I lost my mojo 3/4 years ago partially due to the rubbish weather down here in Penzance and other factors. The good weather however during lockdown has made me miss stargazing so I decided to fire up my scope once more [a bit late in the season I know lol].

I think I rushed everything a bit first time, desparate to see everything asap and getting frustrated, now I'm of the opinion if I can get out, brilliant, if not the night sky will still be there another time.

Welcome back 👍🏼

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 14/04/2020 at 08:13, Philip. said:

Similar story to me, I too am in Penzance and joined here in 2012. I have been away for nearly 8 years and my scope has been gathering dust in the back of the shed. This week I finally dusted her down, got out my star books and have been clumsily trying to look at anything and everything. 

I can’t believe I left it so long, feels great to be back

Jo x

• Like 3

Welcome back to SGL and reigniting your passion for astronomy again, I'm here in North Cornwall and just into astronomy since April this year, loving every minute and the one good view or image makes you completely forget the bad nights or clouds. Clear skies 📷🌌🔭

• Like 1