Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi

I have just purchased the Skywatcher Alt Az GTi mount from FLO mainly because of its built in wireless control and weight and more importantly its portability for possible holiday use. Due to the usual amount of cloud and rain at this time have only managed to set it up indoors. It looks like when doing an alignment the mount slews the altitude and you are then left to slew the azimuth which is ok as far as I am concerned. The PC 'app' is a bit buggy but the IOS app works fine and I managed to get Skysafari working as well.

My main question is this: can anyone tell me why I cannot find this product on the Skywatcher website  Is it really that new? It seems reasonable quality especially for the price and I intend to use it with my Atik infinity for EAA so tracking accuracy is not paramount.  I am loading it with a tec n sky 65mm apo refractor which is roughly one and half kilo's but I think it takes up to five so there are possibilities of a small SCT or larger refractor being supported. Would love to know what any others are using with it and any good / bad experiences?

Cheers

Williamnohair

(Bill) 

1 hour ago, williamnohair said:

It looks like when doing an alignment the mount slews the altitude and you are then left to slew the azimuth which is ok as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

Williamnohair

(Bill) 

Bill,

This is not correct. The mount should slew in both axis.

When I got my AZ5 GTi, I discovered that you need to tigten the small black knob (azimuth clutch) very tight for the mount to work in azimuth. Check that yours is nice and tight.

Here is my observing report from first light, it details the things that I had to learn to get good with the mount.

- also note that I am using the mount with a SynScan handset rather than use the app, I prefer handset as I can use it when wearing gloves in the winter!

I have been fine since. Here is the second light too..

Good luck...

Alan

Well

had to laugh, I too need glasses and can't stand the cold, lifting gear through the French windows struck a cord as was things going wrong (even when tested in daylight!) well written and entertaining.

You are right about the alignment, although sometimes it works first time and sometimes not, I find the two star option the best as you manually centre the first star (or planet as I did) then chose your second target. Have only managed to get out twice due to the weather but it has worked both times and when asked has been 100% on Go To targets. Chose it as its light to carry out and my back is feeling my age. Also so far the wireless has been a boon, having suffered the poor experience from my Celestron Evolution Wi-Fi.  I use my phone and once connected go to the I pad and use Sky Safari, you have to put in the correct port and IP address as well as the mount (chose port 11882 and Sky watcher Synscan on Equatorial Go To (fork) and whatever IP your phone is using) much, much easier than a hand controller imho.

Thanks for the advice

Bill

I bought one of these yesterday, which I’m told should arrive Monday, but I’ll believe that when I see it. Anyway, I’m following this thread with interest. Slightly concerned that the az needs locking so hard; is this common? I’ve decided, reluctantly, that I won’t be installing the beta firmware yet as it appears it’s still problematical. I don’t have a SynScan handset so will be using my iPhone and/or my iPad. From what I’ve read so far I think it’s highly likely that I’ll be taking part in further discussions about this beastie ?

Max

32 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

It's an amazing piece of kit and the iPhone control works brilliantly when you get used to it.

Yes, I’m really looking forward to playing with Jeremy.  I’ve got a lousy cold at the moment so will defer the pleasure until I can really enjoy it!

hi, i have the AZ GTI since last Christmas and the last couple of times i've used it i have issues with it, everything is going fine starting with alignment, slewing to the first object, but then after lookin to that first object when i want to move on and view another object it's like i've lost connection (witch i haven't) but after the go-to command via the app, nothing happens, i keep seeing the progress circle in the upper right corner.

the only thing i can do at that point is to disconnect the mount from the app and reconnect.

I have the latest drivers installed.

i have ordered a V4 handcontroller, hopefully my problem will be over then.

Big tip is to swap the saddle clamp knob on the wedge for an M8 bolt instead as otherwise the GTi mount fouls on the know as it rotates - lost an evening because of this! ?

I’ve not solved the polar alignment issue yet as I’m using an ASIair and cannot see Polaris from my location. I’m hoping the ASIair will have a polar alignment feature soon.

Alternarively you could use a pole master or even sharp cap pro with your guide camera?

Archived