What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

13 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Postie brought me a big empty box.

20181121_205611.jpg

20181121_205730.jpg

20181121_210056.jpg

It's perfect.

I bought one of these (case and enclosures lot i presume?) a few weeks ago.

My Esprit 100 with the camera and FW is just the right fit. I bought the optional cubed foam which was easy for me to pluck it out.

The only thing i don't like about this is that the case feels very flimsy. I hope it doesn't fall apart.

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Meteor camera - first piece of puzzle

Smaller than a kiwi. 

Now there was a double take.  I thought that said "Water Level" on the side of that camera ?

Oh god, old age is truly setting in!!!

• Haha 2

William Optics 2" Diagonal to use with the Vixen ED103s.
Brand new in box but used from ENS, it was still sealed in its bag,
sorry FLO I was about to pull the new trigger.

IMG_3355.thumb.JPG.c6a4e1da61a35331936f9ec641d16f67.JPG

In the new 2" Baader Clicklock on the focuser of the ED103s and its wonderful, nice fit.
I may change the WO 2" to 1.25" for a Baader clicklock as well.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

I recently experienced the Apollo 11 and ISS simulations on a friend’s Occulus Go (virtual reality headset) and was blown away. It was so immersive and realistic, and all for £200.  My reaction afterwards was that Elon Musk and Richard Branson are wasting their time with space tourism! When I saw it was reduced to £169 I felt duty bound to place an order, in the name of science of course. ? Should arrive in a few days, i’ll download and review some astro apps if anyone is interested. 

D8B5E6E7-9F68-4E93-ADC1-3EE8D6170943.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RobertI said:

recently experienced the Apollo 11 and ISS simulations on a friend’s Occulus Go (virtual reality headset) and was blown away.

I am a big fan of the Oculus Go - I have two of them! Do you have links to the Apollo 11 and ISS sims?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RobertI said:

I recently experienced the Apollo 11 and ISS simulations on a friend’s Occulus Go (virtual reality headset) and was blown away. It was so immersive and realistic, and all for £200.  My reaction afterwards was that Elon Musk and Richard Branson are wasting their time with space tourism! When I saw it was reduced to £169 I felt duty bound to place an order, in the name of science of course. ? Should arrive in a few days, i’ll download and review some astro apps if anyone is interested. 

D8B5E6E7-9F68-4E93-ADC1-3EE8D6170943.jpeg

I've gone cheap - this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011EG5HJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has arrived.  Haven't tested it yet, but should be the same as the ones I borrowed for the starparty which seemed to work well.  (For those of us over a certain age the Viewmaster 'click' to change is quite nostalgic too!) Looking forward to doing Rosetta 3D etc with my family over Christmas ?    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.UKAstroNutProductions.Rosetta&hl=en_GB

Helen

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ags said:

I am a big fan of the Oculus Go - I have two of them! Do you have links to the Apollo 11 and ISS sims?

That's really good to hear Agnes! I don't have the links as I haven't got thet headset yet, but happy to share when I have worked it all out. :) Actually part of the reason I was attracted to the Occulus (actually VR headsets in general) was the experience of 'being in' some of the virtual landscapes or setting. I loved being able to take myself out of my chaotic day and insert myself into a calm zen-like room overlooking a specacular landscape or on a beach. I can see it being a good relaxation tool and there are some nice looking meditation apps out there. :hippy2:

11 hours ago, PaulM said:

Played\watched the Apollo 11 on my PSVR coincidentally at the weekend was pretty good and was only £3

I think that's pretty good value Paul - compares favourably with £250,000 for a seat on Richard Branson's spaceship! 

11 hours ago, Helen said:

I've gone cheap - this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011EG5HJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has arrived.  Haven't tested it yet, but should be the same as the ones I borrowed for the starparty which seemed to work well.  (For those of us over a certain age the Viewmaster 'click' to change is quite nostalgic too!) Looking forward to doing Rosetta 3D etc with my family over Christmas ?    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.UKAstroNutProductions.Rosetta&hl=en_GB

Cheap is good Helen! Can't go wrong for that price, the apps look very impressive, let us know how it goes. ?

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:39, RobertI said:

Looks fun!

Am tempted to get a VR headset - not sure how they work exactly or what their system requirements are?? If I got one I'd want it to be something portable that doesn't require an expensive smartphone... There was a drama on C4 earlier in the year ('Kiss Me First' - anyone see it?) which put me off a bit! Ha ha.

Louise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Looks fun!

Am tempted to get a VR headset - not sure how they work exactly or what their system requirements are?? If I got one I'd want it to be something portable that doesn't require an expensive smartphone... There was a drama on C4 earlier in the year ('Kiss Me First' - anyone see it?) which put me off a bit! Ha ha.

The Occulus is ‘untethered’ so you can take it anywhere and it can be used without access to a phone or internet, but to download apps you need to pair with your smartphone (Android or iOS), be connected to internet via WiFi and use the Occulus app (according to the blurb, I haven’t got the headset yet!). 

4 hours ago, RobertI said:

The Occulus is ‘untethered’ so you can take it anywhere and it can be used without access to a phone or internet, but to download apps you need to pair with your smartphone (Android or iOS), be connected to internet via WiFi and use the Occulus app (according to the blurb, I haven’t got the headset yet!). 

Probably won't work for me, then. My 6 1/2 year old v2.6.4 Android phone hardly works with anything now - nothing new, anyway... :(

Louise

• Sad 1

My postie bought this - small, but perfectly functional - now I can add the RDF I might stand an easier chance of finding in the sky what I want to point the camera at on the tripod.  I knew there would be someone on ebay printing something like this for a few quid so when one was suggested in my taking pictures of Orion thread I went looking and sure enough.......

camera RDF adapt.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JOC said:

My postie bought this - small, but perfectly functional - now I can add the RDF I might stand an easier chance of finding in the sky what I want to point the camera at on the tripod.  I knew there would be someone on ebay printing something like this for a few quid so when one was suggested in my taking pictures of Orion thread I went looking and sure enough.......

camera RDF adapt.jpg

Have you got a link to the hot shoe bracket please. 

33 minutes ago, Danjc said:

Have you got a link to the hot shoe bracket please. 

Try this - of course being an ebay link it may expire with time, but it appears to be valid at the time of posting

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Camera-Hot-Shoe-to-Universal-Finder-Guider-Red-Dot-Shoe-Adapter/283165189806?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1