Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

My thanks to FLO for the prompt delivery of my first foray into the world of Filters.

mail.google_co.jpg.506ca7760b1f6ab15dc9ea8460d6ab02.jpg                q.jpg.0ed4710746d1eaeeee7165082131a8f9.jpg

The major planets are moving out of sight from my viewing spot at home, as are some of the best globular clusters and doubles, so I thought it was time to start exploring some of the "invisibles" up there in the cosmos.

I did a fair bit of reading up on old SGL threads to garner an idea of which filters to start with, and it boiled down to either a UHC or an O111. Whilst the O111 would seem to be favourable for The Veil and a couple of others, it appears the UHC might be a better all rounder on a wider selection of targets, (debatable I know).

Anyway, I've plumped for an Astronomik UHC to start with and we'll see how we go from there.

Naturally the weather is not in cooperative mood now or for the foreseeable future after weeks of clear skies here, so I tried the filter out in daylight with my phone camera.

Rather nice I think in a slightly psychedelic kind of way.....

mail.google_com.jpg.9308facc570cc4071118b000d8b38bf8.jpg

I can't wait to use it with the 12 inch Dob and hopefully see some incredible nebulae etc. in the near future!

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 7

Two nice accessories for me. Looking forward to giving the phone mount a try out so I can get some higher mag images. Not sure if it will fit round a 30mm ES for much wider fields though, will have to see.

20181101_114600.jpg

20181101_115728.jpg

• Like 5

On 02/11/2018 at 21:03, Stu said:

Two nice accessories for me. Looking forward to giving the phone mount a try out so I can get some higher mag images. Not sure if it will fit round a 30mm ES for much wider fields though, will have to see.

Oooh I like that phone adaptor, Stu.  My one is a 'hole' to go over the eyepiece and won't fit on my bigger ones.  That has an open sided clamp so looks like it should work on larger ones.  Can you let me know how this works with the 30mm ES please? :thumbright:

Edited by RayD
Speelling
  • Like 1

Yes, I made the perfectly sane choice to go from a working everytime DSLR imaging setup to this mono nonsense! Weather is predictably forecast bad for the week so will at least get it all setup indoors and make sure laptop and USB hubs are all friendly to each other.

20181104_135246.jpg

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 2

On 04/11/2018 at 09:34, david_taurus83 said:

Woke up to this email this morning. On a Sunday! Gurpreet you absolute legend!

20181104_092305.jpg

Congratulations. Oddly, the only postal delivery vans on Sunday I've seen have been DPD. Can anyone confirm other couriers deliver on a Sunday?

On 04/11/2018 at 10:52, RayD said:

Oooh I like that phone adaptor, Stu.  My one is a 'hole' to go over the eyepiece and won't fit on my bigger ones.  That has an open sided clamp so looks like it should work on larger ones.  Can you let me know how this works with the 30mm ES please? :thumbright:

Will do Ray ?

On 04/11/2018 at 10:52, RayD said:

Juat tried this, and unfortunately it's a no. The body of the eyepiece is just too big and even trying it right on the top with the eye rubber removed it won't clear the body.

It does just about fit the APM 20mm though which is good. Need to see if it works and reaches focus in the scope but looks promising.

20181106_200638.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Juat tried this, and unfortunately it's a no. The body of the eyepiece is just too big and even trying it right on the top with the eye rubber removed it won't clear the body.

It does just about fit the APM 20mm though which is good. Need to see if it works and reaches focus in the scope but looks promising.

Ah that's a shame, Stu.  Looked really promising but I suspect they have a 'standard' size for these things as that looks pretty similar in size to my one then.

Looks really well made I must say :thumbright:

Post person visited today, sorry for terrible image and photo-shopping, wanted to show what I want to see with it....

IMG_3337.thumb.JPG.bd70b962f13b86031550cc1088f2e2c7.JPG

2" Orion UltraBlock filter, know it works on the Veil.
Used of AB&S, paid a little bit over the odds, but I wanted it.

• Like 1

Post Person also delivered another book, lots of reading now to be done.

IMG_3339.thumb.JPG.c226411a34182f64eb66bcd5fe1d135d.JPG

eBay bargain at £6 including post and its like new.

This now make 3 O'Meara books in the Deep-Sky Companions series I have.
A year ago I was not really into deep-sky at all, how we change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Post Person also delivered another book, lots of reading now to be done.

IMG_3339.thumb.JPG.c226411a34182f64eb66bcd5fe1d135d.JPG

eBay bargain at £6 including post and its like new.

This now make 3 O'Meara books in the Deep-Sky Companions series I have.
A year ago I was not really into deep-sky at all, how we change.

That's a  very nice buy Alan ! 

• Like 1

Today I got a letter from a government department. The letter was sealed in a plastic package with a sticker saying it was damaged in transit. Just enough of it survived that I was able to see where it was from. 

It looked like a very grumpy dog got its mouth on it. Most of it wasn't even in the package. 

43 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Today I got a letter from a government department. The letter was sealed in a plastic package with a sticker saying it was damaged in transit. Just enough of it survived that I was able to see where it was from. 

It looked like a very grumpy dog got its mouth on it. Most of it wasn't even in the package. 

Let’s see the pics then.  ?