Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

.... hope you have the filters on order and maybe a 3x multiplier lens as well?! You can enjoy the view already by going outside and holding a filter over the front lens (best if you are shaded from direct straylights/moon). With a transparent sky you will be treated to a view of some of the stars that have been “stolen” and maybe some nebulae too. 

Given you live closer to the square mile I’m not going to engage in a “my light pollution is worse than yours” competition! Welcome to the club!

PEter

Thank you Peter - just had 30 mins outside - at this time of night surrounded by bright lights from adjacent houses and a school at the end of the garden - lovely array of stars made it difficult to recognise constellations. The tube appears to be blemish free from my inexperienced eyes. Most amazing (having never looked through an NV device before) was that the only way I could detect scintillation was to turn the gain up to the very highest level - otherwise very natural and familiar sensation of looking up at the night sky.

• Like 1

:-)) Gain control is rather special for who have it. Another reason to get lost is that it’s harder to tell the relative brightness and red stars will appear brighter than by eye.. messing up asterisms.

Peter

20 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

New Unihedron SQM-L given to me over the weekend as wedding anniversary present. 2220 last night from my garden in Sunbury on Thames with full Moon up showed 18.20 .

Magnus

Last night the sky was visibly a deep blue several hours after sunset.

Edit - Congratulations!

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Postie left this mysterious box at my door step today ... question is, what do you do with this? :)

< pictures >

Hmmmm. Not quite sure. Best forward it on to me, I'll do some investigation and report back with recommendations in a year or so ...

Magnus

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gina said:

That's a sincerely nice scope though...

Cheers Gina, I do expect a lot from this scope if I'm being honest.

57 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Hmmmm. Not quite sure. Best forward it on to me, I'll do some investigation and report back with recommendations in a year or so ...

Magnus

Oh you're so very kind... I'll do you one better, what's your address and I'll drop it off your place as soon as hair grows on my teeth OK? I'll even chip in Jaffa cakes for ya ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, avtaram said:

Arrived today ' Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide ' I already have the ' Intstellarum Deep Sky Atlas' both are the desk edition.

image.jpeg.0657b845b64843e59130c2b2aa4f23d1.jpegimage.jpeg.cce1e467882de29ead7320a6dc7e4af0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.88fefe6a364d9746ccccb11d7fa38a02.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1625d9b0b126f6ced4f7753a0d96bbfa.jpeg

Avtar

Very interesting! I like the two sketches of the crescent. It looks like one was with a 14 inch scope and one with a 27 inch scope - is that right? Does it say what skies the sketches were made at?

What is the key difference between the atlas and the guide?

Edited by GavStar

s

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

Very interesting! I like the two sketches of the crescent. It looks like one was with a 14 inch scope and one with a 27 inch scope - is that right? Does it say what skies the sketches were made at?

I have not had a chance to look at it properly yet , I just took a few random pics with a smart phone. I will have a proper read over the next few days.

Avtar

2 hours ago, GavStar said:

Just had a quick look, yes one is with a 14" at 200x with OII filter and the other with a 27" at 172x with OII filter. They say all the sketches were made under moderately dark skies.

The Deep sky guide consists of photos and sketches of deep sky objects and the page numbers correspond to the page numbers in the Deep sky atlas.

Avtar  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

This seems to be guide with pictures and descriptions, the other one is a proper Atlas with stars and galaxies and stuff (missing some Sharpless ?

interesting, 

Peter

Thats exactly what it is.

Avtar

11 hours ago, johninderby said:

You’ve got yourself a great eyepiece. ?

One of my favourite Naglers. Prefer it to the 31mm Nagler as to me it gave more satisfying views. 

Thanks John ,that is good to know.

Edited by Saganite

I think I had a close encounter with one of these and a 10" Dob recently, but it was dark when my friend was demonstrating the excellence of it. I do recall the words 'superb' and 'expensive' so it has to have been  Starlight Instruments.:grin:

I will get another chance when he comes to check the alignment of my OOVX12. 

Congratulations BTW.:smiley:

• Thanks 1

Folks have been busy recently.....so have I on the book front, all used from eBay and Amazon.

Companion for my SkyAtlas 2000 Second Edition.

IMG_3336.thumb.JPG.0230036219571b5ad5937968ef09aa0c.JPG

Messier Object- O'Meara.

IMG_3335.thumb.JPG.9727c737ed57b01d9d94bd88e91b1ee3.JPG

ISS Guide, Haynes.

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.f6424f18e36ecf3892c6337b84f8241f.JPG

A bit of light reading for the damper nights we are having.

• Like 4

On 24/10/2018 at 22:14, Saganite said:

The last incoming eyepiece for some while I think. This is my choice for deep sky observing in my OOVX12L, giving 61X mag, TFOV  of 1.34 deg, and an exit pupil of 4.91mm.

IMG_0648.JPG

Very nice.

I have one myself, probably my most used at the moment.

Paul

• Like 1