Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

Used to be an oilfield tools company that would put sweets in the containers with the tools.  I was told they did this because once the tools were opened the rental rate changed.  Obviously grown men couldn't resist the allure of free haribo and the tools always got opened.

Is there a very tiny "Opening voids warranty" sticker on Haribo? 🤣

• Haha 2

That went a lot quicker than i thought. I managed to talk the seller into letting me have the “cup” piece adapter off the tripod that they wouldn’t let me have as they wanted to turn it into a lamp (🤦‍♂️), tapped a 3/8” whitworth hole in its centre, then attached it to a ball mount adapter and temporarily can use one of the tripods from work. So Jupiter and Saturn, here I come :)

Mark

314F0104-4CCC-418E-A849-54494DA7CDD8.jpeg

67A3159E-DE3E-4D40-BDCC-67719E8BA926.jpeg

CF0D6346-A024-40C1-A0B0-AF14B78164A8.jpeg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Didn't actully arrive today as it was a birthday present, but :

24mm.jpg.b477d5dddf3161e640d2956490e2b85a.jpg

This one isn't nearly as heavy as the 2" 30mm that I bought recently, but it's still a decent paperweight.

It seems you get a free bag of Haribo with each order (which I don't like, but I'm sure will get eaten).

I got the APM version of this earlier this year, excellent bit of kit!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markse68 said:

They’re remarkable bang for the buck Magnus 👍

was this the one Trevor mentioned? I managed to resist the temptation but then I already have the 100RS so I'd have only got it to compare the objectives (mine's a light green rather than purple).

25 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

was this the one Trevor mentioned? I managed to resist the temptation but then I already have the 100RS so I'd have only got it to compare the objectives (mine's a light green rather than purple).

One of them apparently Dave- when i met the very nice seller she mentioned she’d been contacted by someone who had asked her about its baffles 🤷‍♂️- ah, Trevor I thought 🤣 

I had a choice of 2- one had the tripod and looked new in box but missing all other accessories being sold by some house clearance chancers who were playing games with the price . Glad I went for this one as it was her fathers, had most of the accessories (but minus tripod as her husband wanted to turn it into a lamp!) and they were nice people 👍. Having seen it I’m not worried about the tripod- looked a bit flimsy anyway. Will get a surveyors tripod off ebay and use that.

I have an RS too dave but Trevor piqued my interest again and you read nice things about the older aluminium tubed R (apart from the focuser ;) ) and purple is nice :)

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, markse68 said:

I have an RS too dave but Trevor piqued my interest again and you read nice things about the older aluminium tubed R (apart from the focuser ;) ) and purple is nice :)

Mark

Always nice to buy from someone who's cherished it, mine was the same hence driving to Coventry to pick it up a couple years back. Do let us know if you find the optics better in the R tho, then again do I want to know and then get tempted? 😉 

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Always nice to buy from someone who's cherished it, mine was the same hence driving to Coventry to pick it up a couple years back. Do let us know if you find the optics better in the R tho, then again do I want to know and then get tempted? 😉 

Blimey- that’s a long drive Dave! I’m not sure i have the eyes for telling them apart but on the moon last night there was no noticeable fringing 👍 Comparing to the 200k on Saturn though was a bit unfair- the aperture really made a difference of course- way more to see with the 200k

Mark

5 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Blimey- that’s a long drive Dave! I’m not sure i have the eyes for telling them apart but on the moon last night there was no noticeable fringing 👍 Comparing to the 200k on Saturn though was a bit unfair- the aperture really made a difference of course- way more to see with the 200k

Mark

ah well he didn't want to ship and I figured I wanted it enough. Very nice chap with an old Moggie Minor van so we chatted about that for a while too. Funny it was like an echo of my regular drives around the country for work in the past but without the pressure to hit an arrival time etc 🙂 

My resistance on getting an R held but I did end up winning this earlier

image.png.7140e4b413d1e44325fdf2d1bd98d0b4.png

just have to hope I can fettle it 😄 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

A few odds and ends

image.thumb.jpg.25704075821439347307ece0c4667698.jpg

Wow, you are going "all in" on the Ethos 👍

Will be interesting to hear how these perform on your TSA... I can see how these could be superb eyepieces for that, not just optically but ergonomically as well (given the front heavy triplet) 🤔

• Like 2

Cheap as chips laser collimator of eBay.  A steal at £25.

Did a quick check of the collimation of the laser and the dot doesn't really move at all.  So blapped it into the 130pds.  Collimation was out with the dot about 3/4" away from the circle.  Took about 10 minutes to get everything lined up.  Did a quick check with a Cheshire and everything lined up with the crosshairs so I assume all is good!

Screenshot_20220719-153719.png

• Like 5

New shiny thing: Asterion Ecliptica Light EQ platform. What a beautiful piece of work!  

For any that don't know, this will mount a dob and track a target for 60 minutes before needing to be reset.

IMG_20220719_154235.thumb.jpg.2e20b6670f7baa7176bf1dff8edab67e.jpg

• Like 16

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

New shiny thing: Asterion Ecliptica Light EQ platform. What a beautiful piece of work!  

For any that don't know, this will mount a dob and track a target for 60 minutes before needing to be reset.

IMG_20220719_154235.thumb.jpg.2e20b6670f7baa7176bf1dff8edab67e.jpg

Love my EQ platform... enjoy 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Cheap as chips laser collimator of eBay.  A steal at £25.

Did a quick check of the collimation of the laser and the dot doesn't really move at all.  So blapped it into the 130pds.  Collimation was out with the dot about 3/4" away from the circle.  Took about 10 minutes to get everything lined up.  Did a quick check with a Cheshire and everything lined up with the crosshairs so I assume all is good!

Screenshot_20220719-153719.png

I also got one of those very recently. How do you ensure the laser/collimator is straight? I checked the thing itself with some extensions on a flat mirror and the reflection didn't come out in the center of the bulls eye. In fact the laser light (high intensity setting) it a flat line instead of a dot 🤪