Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

...so whoever posted this recommendation on here in recent days probably should be on commission...

IMG_2996.thumb.jpeg.865d97b81c5e3df9257c6f32db6e2064.jpeg

I've always appreciated using binoculars for astro. It never fails to amaze and please me that a small hand held tool who's day job is filling the eye with birdlife at 10 meters distance (my daylight hobby) can also bring a galaxy at 2.5 million light years distance into view. I probably should have bought this book just before my recent holiday rather than just after but nevertheless the summer triangle and easy to find objects around it have been great fun in the bino's these past couple of weeks; Andromeda, M52, M39, Albireo, the Coathanger and so on. Hopefully this book will structure finding and enjoying a few more...

Edited by josefk
typo
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Arrived yesterday from FLO a Tele Vue 5x Powermate.

I am hoping that coupled with my ZWO ASI 462 Planetary Camera, and my Esprit 150, I will be able to obtain some reasonably sized decent images of Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars this summer and autumn.

My first attempts with the ZWO camera were not that great, on its own the images were far too small, and trying eyepiece projection was not that successful.

John

Tele Vue 5x Powermate.JPG

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 12

We've had a new patio laid and extended - which will allow me to roll the imaging gear (on a scope-buggy type contraption) further away from the house. I can now get away from the central heating boiler vents from us and next door, plus it'll give me greater access to imaging targets around the Pole and more imaging time before the usual targets set over the other neighbour's roof - to the left in the pic below).

I'm not allowed to have a full blown observatory !

Anyway... Not quite the 'postman', but two men brought this over yesterday - the new 'warm room'....

image.thumb.jpeg.5aec9b429bb1acd2e27f39b4312b7009.jpeg

Well, the wife tells me I can use it when I'm out with the imaging gear anyway - her new infrared sauna !

At least it is 'dry' unlike a traditional sauna - so I can monitor things via the iPad or laptop quite safely from it and see the night sky to boot - roll on those cold winter nights 😳 !

I shall be heading out there in a bit to give it a go 🥲

Damian

• Like 15

With several planets coming to opposition over the coming weeks and months I thought timely to pick up a well priced planetary cam (again) to dabble in the dark arts - both tracked and untracked. Courtesy of 365 Astronomy and including an IR cut filter.  Experimental, but we’ll have fun along the way I’m sure. 

1A3F822B-6497-4D20-AD53-E5FF6636972C.thumb.jpeg.6f32810a0af8de621f44cd7410f637b1.jpeg

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, powerlord said:

I've been a naughty boy.

Flo customer return. 500 quid off.. Couldn't let that pass by. 😬

IMG_20220728_105246.jpg

Nice one 🙂
In these times of rising costs we have to save every penny we can and £500 not to be sniffed at - I mean who needs heating anyway 🤣

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cheapest observing chair I could find, unfortunately not sold by FLO. I know some people have padded the seat, I might have a go, otherwise it seems stable. light enough to easily carry and easy to adjust.

20220728_152557_DxO.jpg

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Cheapest observing chair I could find, unfortunately not sold by FLO. I know some people have padded the seat, I might have a go, otherwise it seems stable. light enough to easily carry and easy to adjust.

20220728_152557_DxO.jpg

I got one last Xmas but I'm scared to sit on it! So last week bought a new exercise bike... Hopefully this Xmas I'll be able sit on the chair without sweating every time it creaks... 😱

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I got one last Xmas but I'm scared to sit on it! So last week bought a new exercise bike... Hopefully this Xmas I'll be able sit on the chair without sweating every time it creaks... 😱

I found it surprisingly stable, it's not as if your feet are swinging in the air as I imagined it would be. I've only tried it out on the concrete patio, I suspect it could be a bit wobbly on the "lawn".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LaurenceT said:

I found it surprisingly stable, it's not as if your feet are swinging in the air as I imagined it would be. I've only tried it out on the concrete patio, I suspect it could be a bit wobbly on the "lawn".

Yes a very simple and well made chair, but if you're hovering around the weight limit it's not for the faint hearted!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Solved the problem of the hard seat, found a foam seat cover from a childs bike in the garage. Looks a bit, erm, weird, but quite comfy.

20220728_163105.jpg

But you’d have to wear a yellow shirt while observing 😊

• Haha 6

29 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I hope you enjoy that zoom eyepiece as much as I do, it's one of the best things I've bought.

Oh yes, evenings start and end with the zoom now. 
I was a bit skeptical about buying one. Then a large number came up on eBay and one at a very good price.  I checked FLO reviews and the one that sold me was the one that referenced it as being a good hunting eyepiece. I would never have found M2 without this zoom. 
It was my first proper eyepiece, moon views are spectacular and convenient. Will not hesitate on baader for future purchase. 

My 2" replacement GSO diagonal has had issues with the thumbscrew *again* 🙄 so I've given up and got the Baader BBHS Clicklock instead (and 1.25" adapter) whilst I can still afford it! 

20220729_105846.thumb.jpg.de5f5bec9638935729b0620abc54fef1.jpg

Edited by badhex
  • Like 13