NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

15 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Agreed, 👍, also the 17.5mm stands out for me. It took Baader several years of R&D after all the other sizes were released. They didn’t rush the development and that shows in the end product.

LOVE the 17.5mm!

• Like 2

All the way from "The Land of the Rising Sun."

I was so impressed with the build quality of Vixens illuminated crosshair eyepiece that I bought this, a 1.25" GA-4. 

Originally intended for manual guiding, the adjustable reticle will now be put on astrometric duties.

Very high quality build, they don't make stuff like this anymore.

20220801_024853.jpg

20220801_024942.jpg

20220801_025035.jpg

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I was so impressed with the build quality of Vixens illuminated crosshair eyepiece that I bought this, a 1.25" GA-4. 

Originally intended for manual guiding, the adjustable reticle will now be put on astrometric duties.

20220801_024853.jpg

20220801_024942.jpg

20220801_025035.jpg

They definitely don’t produce items like this anymore. Where did you come across this?

58 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Where did you come across this?

Google "Buyee". It's a site which allows you to bid on stuff in Japanese domestic auctions. If you win you pay them, they buy it for you in Japan and then they fly it over. There's a small fee for the service, 1000yen (about £6) and then of course the shipping fees. I've never bought anything big like a scope or mount because the shipping would be mental but for small stuff like eyepieces it costs around £20 to get it over here. The service is excellent and I've received goods within 5 days of purchase.

Great for all the Vixen/Tak/Borg nuts like me, I've had some nice finds on there. I think all in the GA-4 cost under £60 and I'd call that a bargain.👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, badhex said:

After all the good reports coming back, I decided to take the plunge on the APM Superzoom!

The only problem now is where to store it - both EP cases are full...

20220801_121300.thumb.jpg.20df7ffb1d041e129c37e5d95b4a378b.jpg

We do, of course, expect a review of this EP, Joe 😊👍🏻

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

But the SSW range had issues and only the two latter are available new

I wouldn't say issues really. The SSW is a high end, well corrected, widefield eyepiece which, for me at least, has given me the best views of the Moon I've ever had through a 4" refractor.

They ARE quite particular on eye placement and if you haven't learnt how to look through them properly, then you will get some "kidney-beaning". But this is the same with most exotic widefield designs. Some very experienced observers have likened them to the TeleVue Nagler and even preferable to the Type6.

Yes, the only Vixen eyepieces available off the shelf right now are the SLV and NPL ranges. Hopefully the Vixen guys have something special up their sleeves for the future.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Franklin said:

20220801_024853.jpg

20220801_024942.jpg

20220801_025035.jpg

Well done on this purchase! I have the 24.5mm version of this and I agree the quality is amazing! Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Franklin said:

Google "Buyee". It's a site which allows you to bid on stuff in Japanese domestic auctions. If you win you pay them, they buy it for you in Japan and then they fly it over. There's a small fee for the service, 1000yen (about £6) and then of course the shipping fees. I've never bought anything big like a scope or mount because the shipping would be mental but for small stuff like eyepieces it costs around £20 to get it over here. The service is excellent and I've received goods within 5 days of purchase.

Great for all the Vixen/Tak/Borg nuts like me, I've had some nice finds on there. I think all in the GA-4 cost under £60 and I'd call that a bargain.👍

And import duty/tax/fees! I get stung 50% of the time. You can save shipping by having multiple items packaged up together, but then you are more likely to get charged. A single eyepiece normally gets through, depending on which shipping option / company you take.

It can feed one's collecting OCD! 

image.thumb.png.b0db86f2c8cfc5bb083dad9dc70431bc.png

image.thumb.png.6f14669d5916d33460c256d59a91b479.png

image.png.8202aa8ffb24b4bee94671f5ad22b6d6.png

I get most of my Vixen purchases from there. Or directly from Vixen's main UK reseller - @Franklin! ;) 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

Baader Hyperion Mark 4 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece with 2.25X Barlow

20220802_095156.jpg

Interested that you appear to use your Baader Hyperion eyepiece for eyepiece projection photography.

I've purchased the adaptor (43mm to T thread, plus 40mm extension tube) for my 12.5 and 17.5 mm Morpheus eyepieces, but not got round to giving it a try yet, wondered how it compares to using a Barlow or a Powermate, expect that you get greater amplification.

John  

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johnturley said:

Interested that you appear to use your Baader Hyperion eyepiece for eyepiece projection photography.

I've purchased the adaptor (43mm to T thread, plus 40mm extension tube) for my 12.5 and 17.5 mm Morpheus eyepieces, but not got round to giving it a try yet, wondered how it compares to using a Barlow or a Powermate, expect that you get greater amplification.

John  

That’s just the picture on the Baader Hyperion Zoom box 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Taraobservatory said:

Here is what my postman brought me today :)

Cant wait to set it up!

Ooh, pretty! But, what is it?

I know, I know: It's a telescope ...

A bit more detail for those of us drooling who have no idea beyond it being a telescope, please. 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mandy D said:

Ooh, pretty! But, what is it?

I know, I know: It's a telescope ...

A bit more detail for those of us drooling who have no idea beyond it being a telescope, please. 😊

Hello, 

This is the Sharpstar SCA260 V2 :) FLO sent it from the UK yesterday and it arrived here in Norway today. 

Ill get stuck in soon and send some pictures of some alignment tests ill be doing. 

Clear skies 

Roger 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Taraobservatory said:

Hello, 

This is the Sharpstar SCA260 V2 :) FLO sent it from the UK yesterday and it arrived here in Norway today. 

Ill get stuck in soon and send some pictures of some alignment tests ill be doing. 

Clear skies 

Roger 

Thank you! I've just had a look at the spec, which is pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing images from this one. Should be good with it's full frame flat-field.

• Like 1

Going mobile :)   AZ-GTi head unit and wedge arrived today. The tripod is from an old Bresser Skylux mount/scope that was at the back of the shed for few years waiting to be used.  The 3/8 "  eyelet bolt is from Screwfix :)  I'll look at replacing the tripod with something more suitable later but this will get me started. 

AZ-Gti.jpg

• Like 8