SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Hopefully round 1 of deliveries today.  If Grant from DPD can stop at the house this time!

Nothing too spicy, but an svbony 8-24mm zoom and 32mm 40°FOV Plossl.  The zoom turns very easily.

This should pair well with my 130pds which should arrive today.

I've got an 8mm BST coming and the scope comes with a 28mm so I'm quite excited to see how the view looks between the different glass.  Although with my weather I suspect it'll be mostly white light solar observing for a while.

PXL_20220714_095427152.jpg

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Well... the postman didn't bring it, I had to go and collect it. 🙂

I clicked the Like button because SGL has not yet implemented a green Envy emoticon 😀

• Haha 5

DPD finally found the house.  AZ5 and a 130PDS fresh from FLO.

Back in 2012, this was the scope I wanted and now I've got it, along with an 8mm BST and Barlow.  Have to say that the stock 28mm was very comfortable to use, certainly less kidney beaning and blackouts compared to the stock eyepiece than came with the slt127.  Tripod is an Innorel NT364C and exhibited very little shake with the scope plopped on top and not particularly well balanced.  I had nothing hanging off the hook on the bottom either.

Currently only some very litght haze outside, so hopefully will be able to take it out in anger tonight!

PXL_20220714_210352296.jpg

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Ratlet said:

DPD finally found the house.  AZ5 and a 130PDS fresh from FLO.

Back in 2012, this was the scope I wanted and now I've got it, along with an 8mm BST and Barlow.  Have to say that the stock 28mm was very comfortable to use, certainly less kidney beaning and blackouts compared to the stock eyepiece than came with the slt127.  Tripod is an Innorel NT364C and exhibited very little shake with the scope plopped on top and not particularly well balanced.  I had nothing hanging off the hook on the bottom either.

Currently only some very litght haze outside, so hopefully will be able to take it out in anger tonight!

PXL_20220714_210352296.jpg

Nice set up . The 130PDS is a really capable scope. 

• Like 1

Postman delivered my Mak 127 focuser kit, 3D printed all the way in Portugal. Vasco makes them for all maks, for both 127 types ie: focuser in line with the dovetail and the other at 90 degrees. No more vibrations at high magnification on the planets and moon 

B2B03202-CE0E-4722-98D1-86F7CE4BB7F2.thumb.jpeg.c2c26c51037e8261d5593a83bd66cb63.jpeg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Don't think I need to make a Parallelogram mount , adjusted the legs and mount and can  sit back in comfort looking straight up

I wonder you could almost retract one leg completely and have the remaining legs either side of you and use the shortened leg as a handle? I assume you can set the legs to wider locked positions?

A trigger grip is easier in use tho than a regular ball head, at least for speed and simplicity esp on colder nights.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Postman delivered my Mak 127 focuser kit, 3D printed all the way in Portugal. Vasco makes them for all maks, for both 127 types ie: focuser in line with the dovetail and the other at 90 degrees. No more vibrations at high magnification on the planets and moon 

B2B03202-CE0E-4722-98D1-86F7CE4BB7F2.thumb.jpeg.c2c26c51037e8261d5593a83bd66cb63.jpeg

Is that a Svbony diagonal, if so you need to pull the sides off and blacken them up if you haven't done so already. Mine was red on the inside.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Is that a Svbony diagonal, if so you need to pull the sides off and blacken them up if you haven't done so already. Mine was red on the inside.

No it’s the Altair dielectric and I always check the insides. This one is matt black inside.👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

Star Atlas arrived yesterday!

73B2A4A8-5125-4F2D-AB41-75AFA2444D3D.thumb.jpeg.b5ad237e8bf02dd42abf822b8df22c27.jpeg

A387928A-2017-4FA2-AFD6-0519A200407F.thumb.jpeg.91fa1119d52aefb7a83e1890605448cb.jpeg

Really like the look of that.  Saw it on refreshing views on YouTube.  I suspect as a newbie I'm a ways away from needing it though.

Have to say that aesthetically it looks a really interesting read, regardless of whether I can use it.  

• Like 1

Just received these yesterday evening.

Orion 2x54 ultra wide angle binocular. Tried them out early this morning, the image is sharp in up to 90% of the FOV! I need some more time under the dark skies to fully evaluate, but I am very impressed already.

2x54-0.png

2x54-1.png

2x54-2.png

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 16

12 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Really like the look of that.  Saw it on refreshing views on YouTube.  I suspect as a newbie I'm a ways away from needing it though.

Have to say that aesthetically it looks a really interesting read, regardless of whether I can use it.  

Yes great to just leaf through casually and learn, or to plan more detailed observation sessions. Includes a useful feature that indicates the objects visible in different sized telescopes too. I’d say it may not be something you need as such, but will likely be enjoyable nevertheless - whatever experience level. 

• Like 1

Didn't actully arrive today as it was a birthday present, but :

24mm.jpg.b477d5dddf3161e640d2956490e2b85a.jpg

This one isn't nearly as heavy as the 2" 30mm that I bought recently, but it's still a decent paperweight.

It seems you get a free bag of Haribo with each order (which I don't like, but I'm sure will get eaten).

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Didn't actully arrive today as it was a birthday present, but :

24mm.jpg.b477d5dddf3161e640d2956490e2b85a.jpg

This one isn't nearly as heavy as the 2" 30mm that I bought recently, but it's still a decent paperweight.

It seems you get a free bag of Haribo with each order (which I don't like, but I'm sure will get eaten).

Used to be an oilfield tools company that would put sweets in the containers with the tools.  I was told they did this because once the tools were opened the rental rate changed.  Obviously grown men couldn't resist the allure of free haribo and the tools always got opened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2