Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Only bought this from @Dean Hale on Sunday and it’s already here… excellent condition as always, thanks mate 👍

An Asiair Plus to upgrade my Asiair Pro (coming to sales corner very soon)😃

Unfortunately was only able to use the Pro a little this year due to lack of time, but hopefully this can get me back into imaging, at least on a beginner/casual basis 🤞

3B2B1C54-7E75-468C-A36F-44AB4DDC4E8C.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just arrived having only been ordered on Sunday👍.

Astro Physics Convertible Barlow in 2" fitting with compression ring and detachable nosepiece.

I'm looking forward to trying this with my large 23mm and 32mm Axiom LXs.

I also think the nosepiece can thread straight into my Baader Zeiss T2 BBHS prism, but haven't checked that yet..

Dave

APBarcon Barlow.jpg

IMG_20211214_124340507.jpg

IMG_20211214_124406213.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Just arrived having only been ordered on Sunday👍.

Astro Physics Convertible Barlow in 2" fitting with compression ring and detachable nosepiece.

I'm looking forward to trying this with my large 23mm and 32mm Axiom LXs.

I also think the nosepiece can thread straight into my Baader Zeiss T2 BBHS prism, but haven't checked that yet..

Dave

APBarcon Barlow.jpg

Astro Physics Barlow.jpeg

IMG_20211214_124340507.jpg

IMG_20211214_124406213.jpg

I think you will like that a lot Dave 👍 I’ve had mine for a long time now and use it frequently when binoviewing but also screwed into eyepieces or just as barlow with the barrel/holder attached. Excellent quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

Only bought this from @Dean Hale on Sunday and it’s already here… excellent condition as always, thanks mate 👍

An Asiair Plus to upgrade my Asiair Pro (coming to sales corner very soon)😃

Unfortunately was only able to use the Pro a little this year due to lack of time, but hopefully this can get me back into imaging, at least on a beginner/casual basis 🤞

3B2B1C54-7E75-468C-A36F-44AB4DDC4E8C.jpeg

Really glad you snapped that up as I was about to. My wallet thanks you 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 13/12/2021 at 14:34, markse68 said:

most people go the other way with an asiair or a raspii. This just arrived- only 8kg 🤣 It’s my new dedicated astrocomputer :)

17E7EBC8-E547-44D1-97A3-0237361652CB.jpeg

FF80FDB3-8151-439F-A0E9-2DDFFBCD8048.jpeg

Looks super solid! I don't think you'll get any weather related issues with this laptop. 

However, whenever I see laptops like this I am immediately reminded of this scene from Friends 😁 Going by the specs in the video, you can tell this scene hasn't aged well! 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2021 at 16:35, johninderby said:

Is it just me or does that round button look like the NUKE key. 🤔

0D21253D-DCF6-4EE9-8E19-9DC980E8FF0B.jpeg

It looks like a multiple launch button John, well spotted.

Did this laptop come in a large briefcase from the States? If so a certain Marine is missing one 😉

6 hours ago, F15Rules said:

also think the nosepiece can thread straight into my Baader Zeiss T2 BBHS prism, but haven't checked that yet..

Dave

Just checked, and it threads into the Baader prism body and/or the Baader 2" nosepiece front end..and of course via the main barlow body.

I believe the magnification factor is between 1.8x and 2.5x depending on the spacing and how you configure the whole barlow or just the nosepiece..will be fun trying the various permutations and estimating the magnification possibilities!

Dave

IMG_20211214_190036601.jpg

IMG_20211214_185953886.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Just checked, and it threads into the Baader prism body and/or the Baader 2" nosepiece front end..and of course via the main barlow body.

I believe the magnification factor is between 1.8x and 2.5x depending on the spacing and how you configure the whole barlow or just the nosepiece..will be fun trying the various permutations and estimating the magnification possibilities!

Dave

IMG_20211214_190036601.jpg

IMG_20211214_185953886.jpg

Yes, having the T2 thread is really handy 👍

• Like 1

On 13/12/2021 at 09:34, markse68 said:

most people go the other way with an asiair or a raspii. This just arrived- only 8kg 🤣 It’s my new dedicated astrocomputer :)

17E7EBC8-E547-44D1-97A3-0237361652CB.jpeg

FF80FDB3-8151-439F-A0E9-2DDFFBCD8048.jpeg

Interesting computer, great thing about it is when it finally stops working you can use it to knock walls down.

• Haha 3

Takahashi Multi Flattener, CA ring and more blue finder base from FLO. The flattener was from the offers section and a bargain thanks for that. Diagonal from RVO and an as new finder from @HollyHound. May get a crick in the next but ooh it's nice.

PXL_20211215_122742511.jpg

Edited by Dean Hale
Spelling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dean Hale said:

Takahashi Multi Flattener, CA ring and more blue finder base from FLO. The flattener was from the offers section and a bargain thanks for that. Diagonal from RVO and an as new finder from @HollyHound. May get a crick in the next but ooh it's nice.

PXL_20211215_122742511.jpg

Those tiny Tak finders are superb. I’d never swap for a RACI 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Tak make prisms, I wonder why not a RACI?

It took me one night of use to decide to return the Tak 6x30 finder and get a RACI.  Too awkward and annoying switching between scopes. 'Any fool can be uncomfortable.' came to mind.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

It took me one night of use to decide to return the Tak 6x30 finder and get a RACI.  Too awkward and annoying switching between scopes. 'Any fool can be uncomfortable.' came to mind.

I must be a fool then😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I agree, the view through these is absolutely superb and I've not seen another finder that matches it for sheer quality. I still have one on the FOA-60Q and of course my Mewlon 180C has one built in, which also doubles as a really solid handle 👍

26 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

This is indeed the issue... ergonomics... above a certain altitude in the sky, it becomes necessary to have to crouch down behind the scope and this can (and does) become uncomfortable. 

For my FC-76DCU (which is of course my grab and go scope) and FC-100DZ, I've replaced the Tak finder with a SkyWatcher RACI. Still using the Tak bracket and a More Blue quick release. The view through the finder is not as good, but the comfort and ease of use are superior. I can always swap back to the Tak finder if required, but usually just leave the RACI onboard.

Like you say, if Tak produced a RACI, I'd buy a set of them in a flash, but I think perhaps it's just a cultural thing 🤔

8E11B91D-708B-4491-A80E-470228D0E6A6.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I must be a fool then

Not at all, if you can adapt/adjust and it works, then you do indeed enjoy the full benefit of those lovely finder views 😁

2 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Only if you're uncomfortable. :) If you get on with it, then no reason to change.

Exactly... unfortunately, I have found myself kneeling on the ground under the finder trying to gaze upwards and it just gets a bit uncomfortable... at 6' 3" and with knees getting older, this becomes an issue 😬

I am considering something though... I tend to keep my mounts relatively low, basically setup for seated observing (which I love as you can relax)... however, I have seen some have their scopes quite high up and thus observe primarily standing up. There is a good chance this would improve the usability of a straight through finder, so worth a try. The balance will be if I then lose the stability of sitting 🤔

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Had a Tak finder once but replaced it with a RACI. The Lumicon Superfinder is my favourite optical finder and has a drawtube so it can be used straight through or as a RACI.Optics are similar to the Tak finder quality wise and using a decent quality amici prism helps as well.. 👍🏻

Why can’t Tak copy this idea? Similar price to the Tak 7x50 finder.

CABF15DA-6ACF-42D1-B956-E98A9738C832.jpeg

ABBDFACF-55D5-4227-B081-9BEC5DA69B7F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1