NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

42 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Jaw-dropping setup! I might pick up a skytee II at some point as well. The bag looks like a perfect fit, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Product code for the bag is TSBAGEQM. For now the bag is laying flat, and in order to feel comfortable standing it up I'd like to add more foam underneath at the very least. When I make the inserts, I will share my progress as well of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

A few goodies today! 

TS-Optics mount bag for my skytee. I'll need to purchase some additional foam to make some custom inserts from but a big improvement on the polystyrene box it came in, especially now I've added two PrimaLuce saddles. 

20211218_134035.thumb.jpg.80d89bfcbbe955f904d9ab96d520ebdd.jpg20211218_134107.thumb.jpg.0fda307f14279ca8d3cadadc1d30d07a.jpg

I've also given in to the demons of temptation and picked up the the TS-Optics version of the Starfield F7. Actually, this is the second attempt - first one was slightly damaged by the delivery service but TS sent a replacement immediately - along with more packing chips than I've ever seen! 

20211218_134210.thumb.jpg.92aefb74e5540a5ea77548e9af40413d.jpg20211218_145446.thumb.jpg.9f02dc11f33bdfb69beee98f7acf34db.jpg20211218_144925.thumb.jpg.f71b677bf52c610127f105231afffd2d.jpg

Ah nice. I think that’s the setup I fancy adding next year. Let us know how you get on, if ever this weather improves 

• Like 2

Not the postman as such but took a trip over to RVA and picked up a Pegasus Pocket PowerBox Advance.  Been wanted one for ages as I am very keen to get my rig a) tidier and easier to set up and strip down at home and b) get portable, particularly to my RC flying club's field and whilst I know there are some excellent DIY solutions the PowerBox is just so neat, small and easy.

Can't wait to try it out.

I also dropped my TMB LZOZ off to have a go on their Zygo rig :)

Edited by dannybgoode
  • Like 2

Bit of an odd purchase but it’s definitely “astro related”… a rubber strap wrench from Amazon for the princely sum of just under £4 😮

The reason… I attached my newly acquired CQ 1.7x Extender to my FS-60CB last week and am enjoying the converted scope, but wanted to revert back for a few days… problem was although the tube unscrewed easily enough, it left the extender module behind on the scope focuser tube and no amount of twisting by hand would budge it (it’s possible I overtightened it 🤔), as there is very little purchase and most of that is sharp threads!

This little strap wrench wrapped around the protruding extender part and with minimal effort (and no damage to anything), it unscrewed easily 👍

Those of you with these Extenders… don’t overtighten and consider getting one of these little tools… great for opening tight jam jar lids too apparently 🤣

3686FF9D-CF79-4C2E-8CC7-DCD74D24C8F2.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Bit of an odd purchase but it’s definitely “astro related”… a rubber strap wrench from Amazon for the princely sum of just under £4 😮

The reason… I attached my newly acquired CQ 1.7x Extender to my FS-60CB last week and am enjoying the converted scope, but wanted to revert back for a few days… problem was although the tube unscrewed easily enough, it left the extender module behind on the scope focuser tube and no amount of twisting by hand would budge it (it’s possible I overtightened it 🤔), as there is very little purchase and most of that is sharp threads!

This little strap wrench wrapped around the protruding extender part and with minimal effort (and no damage to anything), it unscrewed easily 👍

Those of you with these Extenders… don’t overtighten and consider getting one of these little tools… great for opening tight jam jar lids too apparently 🤣

Might also be useful for unscrewing a seized up dewshield, I have an old oil filter removal strap which is made of metal (apart from the strap), and could therefore mark the scope, this one being made of plastic should be more 'gentle'.

• Like 1

Hi I've been really extravagant....🙄

I've had an ES 2x focal  extender (Barlow) on order for ages. Reading on here there's no way I can know when it might arrive. So to tide me over, I ordered a Svbony 2x Barlow, pretty cheap! Should be interesting to compare them when / if the ES finally arrives.......

The Svbony, of course, arrived today. Ordered yesterday....sigh.

Edited by cajen2

I got fed up of waiting for the ES extender and came across the Altair version and very happy with it. 👍🏻

I’m sure that the Svbony barlow will be great value for money though. Like a lot of their stuff.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I got fed up of waiting for the ES extender and came across the Altair version and very happy with it. 👍🏻

I’m sure that the Svbony barlow will be great value for money though. Like a lot of their stuff.

Yea, I have their UWA 6mm EP, which is a pretty good eyepiece for the price. That's why I thought I'd try the Barlow.

12 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Is everything by Altair the same as ES?

No. They buy in from several manufacturers. ES doesn’t make their own eyepieces so you will see the same eyepieces  under a few brand names. The Opticstar 82 degree eyepieces are the same as the ES for example.

https://www.opticstar.com/Opticstar-Ultra-Wide-Angle-XL-Eyepieces.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

No. They buy in from several manufacturers. ES doesn’t make their own eyepieces so you will see the same eyepieces  under a few brand names. The Opticstar 82 degree eyepieces are the same as the ES for example.

https://www.opticstar.com/Opticstar-Ultra-Wide-Angle-XL-Eyepieces.html

Thats the  great trick of astronomy equipment purchase - work out the manufacturer and then source the lowest cost version of it that maintains the quality :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, johninderby said:

We could do with a thread “Who Actually Makes It” to make comparing brands of astro equipment. easier. 🤔

Hard to know if it’s identical though. Coatings might be different or even that better quality examples go to the brands that pay more?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hard to know if it’s identical though. Coatings might be different or even that better quality examples go to the brands that pay more?

This is very true, same factory however different manufactory's pay different price for different quality. e.e. the above/ 

Hard to actually know what the differences are apart from the end price.

Usually rules, you get what you pay for.

The ES and the Altair extenders are the same price and having had an ES 2x extender in the past would say the Altair is identical in quality.👍🏻

However have seen copies of the ES extenders on Amazon with oddball names that I would be dubious about. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

Oklop 120/600 bag for my new TS102 F7 ED arrived. 

Quite roomy, as it's intended for a larger aperture scope but I struggled to track down a bag specifically for a 102mm F7. Once you take into account the focuser and tube ring knobs it's actually not far off, though. 

20211220_113241.thumb.jpg.3257ca64e15d91e70332d4665335ae49.jpg

20211220_114050.thumb.jpg.491228b0952ac8bdca1be9f930ceebb6.jpg

• Like 9

Postman Pete been a few minutes ago, good that its Astro realted,
sad its not the new boiler circuit board as still no heating and 3 weeks into frozen nether regions now.

Astro wise, regretted selling an EP that I liked a lot, so replaced with another.
Takahashi LE 5mm.

0AE487CF-7D85-438B-95F8-897A7D77B32A.thumb.jpeg.c9891f311711472706cceb0495bc5698.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 10