Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Nice yellow box from FLO. Within a little Tak. I had my head set on something completely different and last weekend read a thread here about the Takahashi FS-60CB which knocked that on the head. It's lovely. Maybe a bit showy but it fits in the home office bookshelf too. Too nice to be locked away in a bag.

PXL_20211208_142903019_2.jpg

PXL_20211208_142637977_2.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

Nice yellow box from FLO. Within a little Tak. I had my head set on something completely different and last weekend read a thread here about the Takahashi FS-60CB which knocked that on the head. It's lovely. Maybe a bit showy but it fits in the home office bookshelf too. Too nice to be locked away in a bag.

Nice... cute little things aren't they 😁

Lovely scopes, either for widefield sweeping or even pushed up with higher magnification on lunar/planets (although your StellaMira covers that a bit better) 👍

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Stardaze said:

the etips will be a boon for me, so that I haven’t got to take a glove off to use SkySafari.

I bought some gloves that have those type of fingertips, for the same reason as you, but I don't get on very well with them.

I'd be interested to hear how you find yours.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Nice... cute little things aren't they 😁

It certainly is. Someone wrote on here, maybe you? That when the box arrived they thought it was empty. I actually had the same thought when picking up the box. Just spent the last 30 mins playing with the adaptors to get focus, which was a worry when reading about these . Concern was unfounded all fine. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

It certainly is. Someone wrote on here, maybe you? That when the box arrived they thought it was empty. I actually had the same thought when picking up the box. Just spent the last 30 mins playing with the adaptors to get focus, which was a worry when reading about these . Concern was unfounded all fine. 

It's a much smaller and lighter box than the other Taks for sure 😁

Getting focus is usually just getting the correct combination of adaptors... although I had a bit of a scare the other night when I added the CQ Extender and realised I didn't have enough "in focus" travel to focus with any eyepiece. Turns out that for the FS-60CB (rather then the FS-60C) the Extender needs to be fitted closer to the focuser (moving the original tube forward with the objective)... seems to work and gives plenty of focus leeway again now. Hopefully that's the correct configuration 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Decathlon £14.99 snow boots arrived. I'm a 9 shoe and 10 boot so bought the 9.5-10.5 size. Getting my foot into them was a trial I almost had a heart attack! Once the foot was in, with walking socks they had at least a cm of big toe space spare, but are very snug in the width.

I had to go for a lie down after trying the first boot so didn't try the other foot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The Decathlon £14.99 snow boots arrived. I'm a 9 shoe and 10 boot so bought the 9.5-10.5 size. Getting my foot into them was a trial I almost had a heart attack! Once the foot was in, with walking socks they had at least a cm of big toe space spare, but are very snug in the width.

I had to go for a lie down after trying the first boot so didn't try the other foot!

My Decathlon boots arrived earlier (slightly different model: snow hiking boots rated to -13C while stationary). I am shoe size 9.5/10, boot size 10, so I ordered 10.5 (next size is 11.5 which I thought would be far too big). Unfortunately I could hardly get them on. Even with thin cotton socks. When I eventually did, my toes were rammed at the front and the rest of the foot was tight all round. Needless to say they are on their way back to Decathlon. That in itself was a pain as the Decathlon website wouldn’t let me download the return label for the package. So I had to write it.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, chrispj said:

I was my own postman today,  picking up this lovely StellaMira 80mm F10 from @HollyHound. Spent a little time looking at the moon this evening before the clouds came over and i think we are going to get on very well together...

Genuinely sad to see this beauty leave, but if it was to remain sitting in the case unused that would be worse, and as you saw today though, I really did need to clear some space in my office 😬

Very glad to see it's going to be used and loved 😀

Looks good on the SkyTee... hope you get many many good nights viewing with it.... lunar, planets, double stars are a joy with this 👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dean Hale said:

PXL_20211208_142903019_2.jpg

PXL_20211208_142637977_2.jpg

Brilliant these little Taks and even nicer with the CQ 1.7x extender 😉😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, markse68 said:

some nice Peli bits- a case to turn into remote power source for my rig and a cool torch that glows so you can find it in the dark- what a great idea! ;)

2FB0B6EB-A08C-41D2-86B1-10C8001682DF.jpeg

Very cool! It'll be interesting to see the end result of your battery! I've seen a few videos on YouTube mostly towards angling use, so it'll be cool to see how you go with yours. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I bought some gloves that have those type of fingertips, for the same reason as you, but I don't get on very well with them.

I'd be interested to hear how you find yours.

They work well enough indoors in the warm but yet to see how they perform in the field.  They’re relatively lightweight, so probably not great for extreme cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I'm glad it's not just me.  I hate getting old.  Putting on socks has become a daily work-out in itself.  :D   

15 minutes ago, TerraC said:

I'm glad it's not just me.  I hate getting old.  Putting on socks has become a daily work-out in itself.  :D   

I'm not that old thanks! I was being a bit dramatic. Laying down during work hours is a no-no, a nap at my desk is the best I can do. 😁

Those boots are nightmares though. A couple of buyer reviews stated they were difficult to get on. There is no calf loop to grab on to.  I'll perservere though. Hopefully they will stretch a bit with use. 🙄

Good luck with your socks. May I suggest a Sock Puller Upper. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Mine arrived today and yes was a bit of a faff putting them on. Hopefully they will stretch after some use. Luckily the size seems ok for me. For £15 I can't be too picky.

PXL_20211209_142907035.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

Looks like @HollyHound has resumed his buying streak ! 

Seriously though , it is very nice to try everything and selling the stuff which is not used much ! Enjoy!

Ha ha, well spotted 🤣

However, I am operating a “sell stuff” to “buy stuff” policy at the moment… promise 🤔

I have more than enough scopes now and am targeting very specific eyepieces, based on lots of enjoyable testing 👍

• Like 3