Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Still spending on Astroberry! Got me a powered USB hub, a portable SSD and a Looooong Ethernet cable. The idea being to try and resolve some of the instability and failures I've been having while imaging.

I'm planning on setting up the SSD as the RasPI boot volume. In fact I think I've done the legwork, just need to dumpΒ a copy ofΒ  the existing SD card on the SSD and it should boot! I'll also have plenty of room for image storage too.

image.thumb.png.2ea40f17d87f137c0c43819a329ff5f6.png

• Like 2

Just started this hobby during lockdown and have a Skywatcher 130ps and thought i'd take a punt on a cheapish refractor when travelling. Pleasantly surprised it seems a solid unit. Plus clear skies tonight for a change.

ar102xs.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

An Astro Essentials 9x50 RACI finder for the ScopeTech 80 f/15. Replaced the 6x30 finder I had originaly fitted mainly so I could use the solar filterΒ I had for a 9x50 finder. Β So much easier to find and centre the sun using a proper finder. πŸ‘πŸ»

ScopeTech looking good on the Report tripodΒ πŸ‘

You'd think with such a long scope that it would need a really massive tripod (Uni 28 etc), but I've found the little Report to be remarkably sturdy tooΒ πŸ™‚

12 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

ScopeTech looking good on the Report tripodΒ πŸ‘

You'd think with such a long scope that it would need a really massive tripod (Uni 28 etc), but I've found the little Report to be remarkably sturdy tooΒ πŸ™‚

So long as you don’t overload the tripod think it is remarkablyΒ stable for such a lightweight tripod.Β One thing I miss though compared to the Uni is the markings on the legs that make it easy to set at a particular height.

Hmm........think I might mark the legs to help. Something subtle and in keeping with the tripod.Β 

EDIT:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishing-Ruler-Adhesive-Sticker-inch/dp/B0778S7JLB

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, Dean Hale said:

Plus clear skies tonight for a change.

That scope must be defective, no clouds, really?
Please take a close look in the lower section of the box will you, no scope comes without cloudsΒ Β πŸ˜‰

Nice portable scope, enjoy and good luck with the clear sky.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

An Astro Essentials 9x50 RACI finder for the ScopeTech 80 f/15. Replaced the 6x30 finder I had originaly fitted mainly so I could use the solar filterΒ I had for a 9x50 finder. Β So much easier to find and centre the sun using a proper finder. πŸ‘πŸ»

Typical weather though. Sunny clear sky so I set up the scope and fiddled around with aligning the finder, took a brief look at the sunspot then in rolled the dark clouds. Amazing how fast those clouds move. 😒

CBF3F7AB-7DD4-4626-835E-7BE46B23EABA.jpeg

6A06F0D8-887B-40FC-A20F-825E607711FE.jpeg

43EE32BB-56B2-4119-8912-0DC62435A578.jpeg

Β 

From clear to this in ten minutes. 🀬🀬🀬

7B3EFF65-5FCF-4CD7-A96E-C229A0F323DF.jpeg

Clear or shine John..that's still a superb, "proper looking" scope!πŸ‘

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Parcel received, I'm doing the happy dance as my 14mm Morpheus eye piece has arrived!Β 

Opens box to find my daughters new Nintendo Switch controller. Totally forgot about that...

Happy dance abruptly ends, maybe tomorrow πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Baz,

Maybe if you say "abracadabra" 14 times it'll Morph into a Morph 14mm..😎🀭

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, johninderby said:

One thing I miss though compared to the Uni is the markings on the legs that make it easy to set at a particular height.

I did notice that the Report 2x2 and 1x2 models have no markings, whereas they are present on the 3x2 and 4x2 models. Seems like a strange omission as like you, I find them incredibly useful. Glad you have a potential solution 🀞

Β 

1 hour ago, Dean Hale said:

Just started this hobby during lockdown and have a Skywatcher 130ps and thought i'd take a punt on a cheapish refractor when travelling. Pleasantly surprised it seems a solid unit. Plus clear skies tonight for a change.

ar102xs.png

Nice choice. I've heard good things on this model. It incorporates an ED element (this does not mean its an ED scope), however the correction is meant to be good for a short FL.

Enjoy it!

Rob

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alan White said:

That scope must be defective, no clouds, really?
Please take a close look in the lower section of the box will you, no scope comes without cloudsΒ Β πŸ˜‰

Nice portable scope, enjoy and good luck with the clear sky.

Thank you looking forward to giving it a try. Checked definitely no clouds within the 40mph winds have scared them off.

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

Postie has just been and the much awaited 30 mm has arrived.

IMG_0252.thumb.JPG.0aefe75455c058cbf2044ef6b34c045c.JPG

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.58e92f9ecfd7601d0b08bee8b6a48ffe.JPG

Looks like it will work well with glasses on,Β 
purchase based on many positive views of this APM item and my ownership of the 18 mm already.
All very utilitarian, including the plain white, but substantial box.

Of course it brought clouds, sorry.

That looks the business Alan!

Looking forward to first light remarks 😊

Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Typical weather though. Sunny clear sky so I set up the scope and fiddled around with aligning the finder, took a brief look at the sunspot then in rolled the dark clouds. Amazing how fast those clouds move. 😒

Β 

Β 

43EE32BB-56B2-4119-8912-0DC62435A578.jpeg

Β 

From clear to this in ten minutes. 🀬🀬🀬

Β 

Given my rather grab n go attitude to this hobbyΒ I have collected a few, and am always interested in, Alt Az heads. I did read up on your (adulterated) 405 head on the basis of references you had made to it on another much earlier threadΒ and clearly it is at the right end of the quality scale. I can't deny however I do slightly wince at that visual impression of that big ol' scope on that teeny tiny head.Β 
Its a nice change from the usual 3-20kg's of of mounting steel.Β 
Β 

Edited by steveex2003
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Baz,

Maybe if you say "abracadabra" 14 times it'll Morph into a Morph 14mm..😎🀭

Dave

OK, so I took F15's advice and said the magic words, and it only worked!!

a lovely looking 14mm Morpheus arrived 😁

On a more serious note, why does the Post lady have to deliver to the wife  while I'm at work. Now  I've got some explaining to do... 😁😁

The sky is clearing so I might get to try it tonight!

DSC_0866.JPG

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

On a more serious note, why does the Post lady have to deliver to the wife  while I'm at work. Now  I've got some explaining to do... 😁😁

DSC_0866.JPG

That's great Baz..

It's a great eyepiece, really top optical quality, enjoy..πŸ‘

Dave

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

DSC_0866.JPG

Lots of bits come with it !

8 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Lots of bits come with it !

You sure do get alot in the box. Two types of eye cup. An extention piece which I have no idea what is for. A belt case for convenience. And two dust caps to suit each eye cup.

A nice instruction manual, which I will read to find out what the extension is for.

all wrapped up in a very nicely presented storage box.

Oh there was an eye piece in there aswell πŸ˜‚

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

You sure do get alot in the box. Two types of eye cup. An extention piece which I have no idea what is for. A belt case for convenience. And two dust caps to suit each eye cup.

A nice instruction manual, which I will read to find out what the extension is for.

all wrapped up in a very nicely presented storage box.

Oh there was an eye piece in there aswell πŸ˜‚

And I hear the writing on the side is illuminated 😎

3 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

DSC_0866.JPG

Nice & Dave's right ... Magic does work πŸ‘

The morphs are sharper than tacks (that's tacks and not Taks) πŸ˜€

• Haha 2