SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Tisk, Tisk, not in the correct order 😁

Depends what order you mean? That's the order they were bought in., starting from the bottom with the 3.2mm, I think... 

Edited by Guest

On 24/07/2020 at 13:23, TerryMcK said:

One of the main issues I have with the HEQ5 Pro is the appalling Vixen clamp that marks dovetail bars. So I thought time for an upgrade and bought a Primalucelab Big Dovetail Clamp that does Vixen and Losmandy along with a corresponding puck for the HEQ5.

9606F054-148F-4261-96F5-D77CEC8C6CB0.thumb.jpeg.4b2c17b1d72bbef86ee85a31e06e6c58.jpeg

Hi Terry, how does the puck fit on the HEQ5? Does it just slot into the existing vixen clamp or is there a way to remove the existing vixen and replace it with the PLL one?

Edited by Padraic M
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Hi Terry, how does the puck fit on the HEQ5? Does it just slot into the existing vixen clamp or is there a way to remove the existing vixen and replace it with the PLL one?

Hi Padraic.

It's really easy to fit the new puck. If you fit the new clamp to the new puck with the four supplied screws first of all the rest is a breeze. There are 3 grub screws around the periphery of the HEQ5 DEC tube that hold the original puck/vixen clamp in place. Simply loosen these off, making sure you don't unscrew them completely, then the old puck/vixen can be extracted in one piece. It may seem a little stiff but this is due to the grub screws making an indent in the old puck and this raises up the soft aluminium slightly. It will come out.

Then place the new puck/clamp head into place, tighten the 3 grub screws and that is it. It takes no more than a couple of minutes to do. The new clamp head is a revelation and is really worth the money. Well made and simply to use. Most importantly it does not mark the Vixen bars or Losmondy bars.

On 04/08/2020 at 21:50, carastro said:

Well this was a surprise as I was told I would have to wait until September for it.

Came today, but was not expecting such a huge and heavy box.  chair stood next to it for size comparison. 

BOX.JPG

Also never seen such solid packing before.

Open Box.JPG

Also was not expecting such a huge case for a telescope. 

Case.JPG

Well no wonder it was so huge, because it accommodates all the accessories too.

Open case.JPG

So here it is.

Esprit.JPG

Not going to be able to use it just yet, as I need to get a Vixen Dovetail and a focal reducer and adapter.

It is much bigger and heavier than I thought it would be as well. 

Carole  

Gorgeous isn't it. Wait until you use it. You'll love it but it is (as you've already experienced) by no means a light scope :)

• Like 4

today a couple nitrile end-caps - one for the TAL-M to make a pair and the other for the 100RS lens cell. 120mm is a tad oversize but some felt around the rim and flock on the cap inner should see it fitting snugly. Better than boxing it away with the lens exposed I think. For anyone wanting one of these caps, the EC120x12 indicates the ID of the cap and the depth of the lip. For the TAL-M a EC110 is a very snug fit as shipped.

image.png.eef3a9f9c12c75a4f2086bd5f53a8d61.png

Also a couple 1TB SSD's - one for the desktop for the data drive and the other the Envy lappy, figured it'll run better than the SSHD hybrid that it shipped with. Got these used for a good price, low reported run-time and writes so should be a safe bet, being Micron supply the OEM chain in the main and their consumer models to Crucial with a different ID.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Hi Padraic.

It's really easy to fit the new puck. If you fit the new clamp to the new puck with the four supplied screws first of all the rest is a breeze. There are 3 grub screws around the periphery of the HEQ5 DEC tube that hold the original puck/vixen clamp in place. Simply loosen these off, making sure you don't unscrew them completely, then the old puck/vixen can be extracted in one piece. It may seem a little stiff but this is due to the grub screws making an indent in the old puck and this raises up the soft aluminium slightly. It will come out.

Then place the new puck/clamp head into place, tighten the 3 grub screws and that is it. It takes no more than a couple of minutes to do. The new clamp head is a revelation and is really worth the money. Well made and simply to use. Most importantly it does not mark the Vixen bars or Losmondy bars.

Got it Terry, I saw those grub screws but it didn't look like the clamp was a separate piece. I'll add this to my (long) investment list. I hate hearing that crunchy noise when I'm setting up as the clamp bites into the vixen bar!

• Like 1

On 05/08/2020 at 11:48, CraigT82 said:

Snap! Well not quite. I recieved a 2 pack of space blankets today (would have cost more than my scope did to get the window film). Have just used one of them to wrap my plastic fullerscope tube. Its looks snazzy if nothing else! 

20200805_114739.jpg

Is it going into orbit Craig? Adc not doing a good enough job?

• Haha 2

Today courtesy of @iPeace i received a pristine 4mm Delite, thank you Mike 👍

This was extremely well packaged until the idiots from the UK Border Agency got there hands on it. They need lessons on how to tape back up the boxes they slice open properly 😡

• Like 1

5 hours ago, laudropb said:

A parcel from Holland that has obviously attracted the attention of the custom officers on arrival in this country.

image.jpg

Yours definitely looks worse than my one did, you would have thought it went through a couple of x-ray machines enroute so why is this necessary, is there a shortage of sniffer dogs

• Haha 1