Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Not quite the postman bringing this as I downloaded the trial of PixInsight myself. I used Dylan O'Donnell's "Getting Started with PixInsight" Youtube video to point me in the right direction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSFCB-WyXK4. The initial results are great but the user interface takes a lot to get used to!

Couple of items from postie today, was expecting three! :)

Electroluminescent panel with inverter and mains power to make a flat frame panel.

2 inch compression ring adapter for my Evostar 72ed. The standard one isn't compression and I don't trust it with my mono camera, filter wheel and 7 filters!

IMG20200730100256.thumb.jpg.6f6191309ec90a5950c1d23a5195fd52.jpg

IMG20200730100331.thumb.jpg.f2f8ed6a199e139f64a9240529fb0687.jpg

Arrived this morning direct from Greenwich Observatory. A Map of the Moon drawn by Percy Wilkins. Some people view Wilkins map as overly complex and containing errors. However, I think its a genius work representing a lifetime of lunar study, and containing detail you're unlikely to find anywhere else. I've used Wilkins drawings as reference for years as depicted in his book The Moon, but i didnt know his complete Map of the Moon was available until it came up secondhand a couple of weeks ago. Sadly it had been claimed, but a quick search revealed its still available from the Royal Observatory shop for around £12.

1332419069_2020-07-3011_22_37.jpg.82d7553cb8a34650a75634c91ae6757b.jpg2039045172_2020-07-3011_24_20.thumb.jpg.45f408ff66e4a23d0034748c0593e0b4.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 8

a pure brass buffing wheel

image.png.c8fecb3415a2278bff6c85ef2071c1b5.png

with a future plan to try this out on the finder bracket for the old vintage scope

The old JPY grey+white just doesn't look right against black leather and brass, just need to figure how to fully dismantle that old Prinz type 6x finder (the silver tube and grey ring into the main tube just didn't want to shift last try) and then I can refinish it to suit too, tho I'd like to get the TAL-M refurb finished first.

image.png.e9aa58feb97a0890d3c342ac95585afb.png

Am thinking along the lines of brassed foot and holder, the chrome tube and if metal also brass the dew shield, rest in black...

• Like 3

Small table to hold my increasing collection of eyepieces when in the field. Normally, I simply use the trays on the Berlebach Planet tripod, but it does get a bit crowded at times. And need to be careful as the field lens at the bottom of the Nagler 26 is pretty close to the opening, so a flat surface is essential to place it on to avoid contact with the lens.

OK, so it's not actually Berlebach (they don't seem to make tables), but it is wooden (well, mostly!) 🙂

Just hope I don't bump into it at night!

IMG_2422.jpg.23091792851a8c9501bd1528967bc062.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Arrived this morning direct from Greenwich Observatory. A Map of the Moon drawn by Percy Wilkins. Some people view Wilkins map as overly complex and containing errors.

Mike, is that the one that shows the wrong route to Burnley town centre via O'Neill's Bridge?

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Small table to hold my increasing collection of eyepieces when in the field. Normally, I simply use the trays on the Berlebach Planet tripod, but it does get a bit crowded at times. And need to be careful as the field lens at the bottom of the Nagler 26 is pretty close to the opening, so a flat surface is essential to place it on to avoid contact with the lens.

OK, so it's not actually Berlebach (they don't seem to make tables), but it is wooden (well, mostly!) 🙂

I'd be worried that a slight knock and they'd all be on the ground. Guess you could always drill some suitable holder holes tho so they're secure and size ordered 🙂 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, markse68 said:

new pair of cheap binos- pretty sharp once the grease was cleaned from the eps, nice and light and noticeably brighter than my jenoptems but a bit bulkier- shall try them tonight :)

7017649B-FD28-44C1-B32D-D2A0D11736F3.jpeg

I have an almost new condition one, they are a very nice binocular.     🙂

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Mike, is that the one that shows the wrong route to Burnley town centre via O'Neill's Bridge?

🙂

That's right Jeremy. As everybody knows, there is no bridge, O'Neill's or otherwise, and no roads leading directly to Burnley town centre. Burnley borough council put pay to that by diverting all traffic around the town centre via a ring road and out again. O'Neill's ring road! 😊

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

That’ll do nicely. Just don’t knock the table over. 

2 hours ago, markse68 said:

new pair of cheap binos- pretty sharp once the grease was cleaned from the eps, nice and light and noticeably brighter than my jenoptems but a bit bulkier- shall try them tonight :)

7017649B-FD28-44C1-B32D-D2A0D11736F3.jpeg

Brings back memories, I once had a very nice pair of these.
They were damaged beyond repair by one of my daughters when she was little,
I should not have been so trusting with a 6 year old!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Arrived this morning direct from Greenwich Observatory. A Map of the Moon drawn by Percy Wilkins. Some people view Wilkins map as overly complex and containing errors. However, I think its a genius work representing a lifetime of lunar study, and containing detail you're unlikely to find anywhere else. I've used Wilkins drawings as reference for years as depicted in his book The Moon, but i didnt know his complete Map of the Moon was available until it came up secondhand a couple of weeks ago. Sadly it had been claimed, but a quick search revealed its still available from the Royal Observatory shop for around £12.

Lovely book... I bought this last month, at the same time as getting Luna Cognita (which is also a fantastic book BTW). Just for information, I got mine from Amazon for £12.99, but the Royal Observatory Shop is indeed a tad cheaper, and direct of course 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Lovely book... I bought this last month, at the same time as getting Luna Cognita (which is also a fantastic book BTW). Just for information, I got mine from Amazon for £12.99, but the Royal Observatory Shop is indeed a tad cheaper, and direct of course 👍

ebay £10.83 delivered- just ordered :)

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 13:55, Dean Hale said:

Just started this hobby during lockdown and have a Skywatcher 130ps and thought i'd take a punt on a cheapish refractor when travelling. Pleasantly surprised it seems a solid unit. Plus clear skies tonight for a change.

ar102xs.png

I bought the same a couple of years ago, along with an AZ5 tripod/mount. Its a great scope. I really cant fault it apart from the plastic finderscope. The R&P focuser is the best ive ever had. Its sulky smooth.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

The postman has been a joy to see these days! bringing me my third Pentax XW. This 5mm should be great for those nights when seeing may not permit using my 3.5mm. Pentax XW’s are a bit like potatoe chi....sorry, crisps, you can’t have just one!.

A5496CAD-977A-489C-A265-4AF0676B1910.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sunshine said:

The postman has been a joy to see these days! bringing me my third Pentax XW. This 5mm should be great for those nights when seeing may not permit using my 3.5mm. Pentax XW’s are a bit like potatoe chi....sorry, crisps, you can’t have just one!.

Oh no, don't say that... I've just had the opportunity to use my new Pentax XW 40mm last night and loved it, but I didn't realise it came with a "buy more" warning 😬 They really are very nice thought, aren't they 👍

• Haha 1