NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

You may not have seen this before...

ollypenrice

We all know the two IC objects near Gamma Cass. They are IC 59 and 63. When I imaged this last year with SGL's Fordos Moon we had a feeling that the Ha was going off shot to the south, so began this year's 51.5 hour search for the truth about Gamma Cass... Tom and I got cracking with the 30 minute Ha subs and had to keep reframing as the object slowly revealed itself. We have not found it anywhere on the net, though that's not to say it isn't there somewhere, and it inspired the name, The Breaking Wave Nebula.

Breaking%20Wave%20Nebula%20small-L.jpg

This is two panel in a Tak FSQ106/Full Frame Atik 11000/Mesu 200. In total the Ha had 24 hours of data via a 3nm Astrodon.

We then ran the tally up to 51.5 hours while collecting LRGB in the dual Taks, plus a run in RGB in the TEC140 to enhance the IC objects and control Gamma Cass. You can have it in two flavours, more or less saturated. I've been working about 15 hours a day on this blessèd image for about two weeks so my judgement is shot to bits! This is my processing.

Gamma%20Cass%20HaLRGB%2052%20Hrs%20low%2

I like colour, so...

Gamma%20Cass%20HaLRGB%2052%20Hrs-L.jpg

So, maybe it's new, maybe it's not, but we thought it made a great object and it reminded us of Hokusai!

Hokusai small.jpg

All the best,

Olly, and Tom O'Donoghue.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots Olly + Tom, i love to see new stuff, it looks like a giants mouth with 3 teeth. well done.  thanks charl.

Haha, i thought similar, it looked to me like the sneering growl of a tiger with 3 teeth but lost his bottom ones.

Fantastically beautiful image guys.

Thanks Everyone for the comments.

Yes this was fun to see how it evolved. Olly coined the name, which I love, and works. Monster 3 toothed mouth, would be a close second though :)

I did not realise the total was 51.5 hours. Excellent work Olly. Time to put the feet up now.

Tom.

Hi Olly/Tom that's super work to get that deep from what i can find it's showing deeper information than a lot of surveys (by quite some way) just goes to show how amateur astronomers can add to the scientific resources out there.  

Piqued my interest so had a look around.  Think you may have stumbled onto a new (to me at any rate) method to identify other candidates.  The nice thing if it works only use 'amateurs' can devote the scope time to realising as an image as per your example.

Orientation frame for those that follow.

2016-09-01_22-38-18.jpg

The allwise survey (lagging behind your depth!) does show a numbers of additional items/dust areas (if this image quality is high enough) in that area supportive of your find.

2016-09-01_22-31-24.jpg

However (about to show how dull I really am :) ) more interesting and only and initial observation is from the Planck Public data release 2 mission ancillary data - LFI.  Consider it a heat map, literally, for the above image.

2016-09-01_22-33-06.jpg

Unless i am mistaken that heatmap is not far of your 'Breaking Wave Nebula' (let's make that stick :) ) If you add the heatmap to the Allwise data you could imagine it starting to have a multiplicative effect and supporting the structure in your image.

Now i am sure this is known to many physicists (thus not to me!) - I have a long way to go yet but this may actually be a bigger 'asset' than you had realised as i do not think reviewing this data it is an isolated incident. It may actually open the door to a new array of very deep, but achievable new targets for us astronomers. 

Another survey (Akari) shows the dust map of the sky.  Most of this is simply not visible for a variety of reason including lack of density, not ionised, emitting or reflecting.  The image shows a vast amount of dust out there much of which is unseen.  Again supportive of your structures.

2016-09-01_22-32-34.jpg

So the clever bit potentially is the combination of the heatmap from Planck and the Akari data.  If Planck is overlaid onto Akari the heatmap highlights what dust you should be able to see.  I think you (Olly/Tom) have provided evidence of that as a valid identification tool for potential new targets.

These are just approximations and not scaled/matched 100%but looks supportive but you get the drift, i hope. It is self-validating roughly in that where there is no heat and fine dust we see nothing other than space!  

planck akari merge.jpg

Or with your red data as the 'heat'

2016-09-01_23-13-35.jpg

So with your evidence Olly/Tom this can be done maybe we have a new way of looking for objects, map heat onto the dust and you have a method to find very dim dust and bring it into the realms of us terrestrial imagers.  Just need to identify heat that has underlying dust and structures of sufficient density.  I would need to better understand the Akari data to interpret the densities (anyone out there now about this) once understood finding new candidates should (famous last words) be relatively straight forward.  

As a side not the Akari data is also good for spotting the reflection areas which may further help isolate the 'better' candidates.

Head hurting now!  But maybe more in all this than just a chance investigation.  So super work guys.  

Will have to research and understand this more (all help welcomed) but maybe a new tool/map of candidate objects could be derived from all this.  Heat(x) + or x    DustDensity(y)=Candidate(z). (will have to work out if additive or multiplicative)

Cheers

Paddy

Archived