Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

4 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

When you go and collect, take lots of bubble wrap to help protect that 20 incher.  Walk carefully to your care also with that big mirror, no tripping.

In fairness to OO UK who have taken their share of criticism in this thread (including form me) when I went to pick up my VX12 in July I was extremely impressed with the care that had been taken to package it safely. I have never seen larger boxes or more bubble wrap used on any other item I have purchased from any supplier. Barry also helped me carry it out and carefully load it into the car.

It is sometimes hard to get a sense that they care about their customers, but they really do seem to care about their optics :smile:

• Like 3

Everything crossed here that things will take a smooth (and well figured ! :icon_biggrin:) path from here on Mike.

I strongly suspect that OO are very aware of their mixed (putting it kindly) reputation for customer attitude and service. If it had been a priority for them they would have taken action to address it ages ago. Much more complex companies than OO have turned their reputations around but the drive needs to come from the top.

• Like 4

Mike I have been following this thread with interest because you have been treated very badly. I just hope that everything works out okay today and your new 20" Dob will be ready for SGL12. With the care and time you have taken to build this scope you will enjoy your dark skies in the Elan Valley and Skye.

As Derek mentioned above when the dust settles we will appreciate a details supplier review.

My fingers are crossed for you Mike for a good afternoon trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Hurraaaaay. Well done Mike. All a bad dream yesterdays news?. Things are now looking up?

When you go and collect, take lots of bubble wrap to help protect that 20 incher.  Walk carefully to your care also with that big mirror, no tripping. Also lots of soft blankets to go on your vehicle floor to help with vibration when driving.  

This all reminds me when I picked my Dob up, worried all the way back home about damaging it. Total relief when I got back , parked up and scope in one piece?

I should imagine there will be a bit of a tailback this afternoon around the Wrexham area. As Mike drives his BIG newborn home carefully at 5mph ??. 

That could take some time.....

• Like 1

Congratulations on a magnificent project and build.

I suspect that their is a logical explanation.

Whenever the delivery time is delayed a company that is honest and explains the reasons for a delay will keep the respect from the client.

Ignoring the client and problem and just delivering when the delay is sorted out will damage the respect.

Either way the delay will not go away so why not just chose the first option.

I am sure that you will receive a magnificent mirror nevertheless.

I have a similar scenario with my secondary mirror holder ( Hasta Manana sindrome)But at least I am getting updates.

• Like 1

got the mirror set, but havnt looked at them yet as they are so well packaged, got the report though, also got barry to write on the invoice free coatings for life, they also knocked some money off

mirror report dont understand to be honest

wavelength out 632.8nm

strehl 0.990

pv wavefront 0.102

pv 64.68 nm

rms 0.016 wave

astmag 0.039 wave

no idea what they mean

pics soon :icon_biggrin:

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, faulksy said:

got the mirror set, but havnt looked at them yet as they are so well packaged, got the report though, also got barry to write on the invoice free coatings for life, they also knocked some money off

wavelength out 632.8nm

strehl 0.990

pv wavefront 0.102

pv 64.68 nm

rms 0.016 wave

astmag 0.039 wave

no idea what they mean

I think the technical summary is 'It's pretty darn good :)'

Enjoy it Mike

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, faulksy said:

wavelength out 632.8nm

strehl 0.990

pv wavefront 0.102

pv 64.68 nm

rms 0.016 wave

astmag 0.039 wave

no idea what they mean

Those numbers look rubbish, mate. I think you should roll back to how you felt 24 hours ago and decide to sell the whole thing to me for a couple of hundred quid :wink:

Can't believe you haven't opened it yet - I would have been ripping the tape off that box before I got to the front door! :lol:

Very pleased you finally have it in your hands and look forward to seeing the end result.

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I think the technical summary is 'It's pretty darn good :)'

Enjoy it Mike

scared to look at the mirror now stu lol. he reckons its better than 1/10 but dont understand the readings

1 minute ago, DRT said:

Those numbers look rubbish, mate. I think you should roll back to how you felt 24 hours ago and decide to sell the whole thing to me for a couple of hundred quid :wink:

Can't believe you haven't opened it yet - I would have been ripping the tape off that box before I got to the front door! :lol:

Very pleased you finally have it in your hands and look forward to seeing the end result.

i did try and open it in the car but there was that much bubble wrap i couldnt see it lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, faulksy said:

scared to look at the mirror now stu lol. he reckons its better than 1/10 but dont understand the readings

The number that tells you the wavefront fraction is "pv wavefront 0.102".

"0.100" would be exactly 1/10th. "0.200" would be 1/5th. So your mirror reading is very slightly the wrong side of 1/10th but not to a degree that would be noticeable (by 2/1000ths of a nanometre).

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, faulksy said:

wavelength out 632.8nm

strehl 0.990

pv wavefront 0.102

pv 64.68 nm

rms 0.016 wave

astmag 0.039 wave

no idea what they mean

From the little I know, I believe they mean you have a top notch mirror that should deliver really superb views! :)

Glad everything is sorted (I like your style getting free coatings for life :thumbsup:).

Great stuff - just awaiting your 1st light report now ;) !!!

• Like 1

Not messing around now are you Mike!

Given that a theoretical Strehl ratio of 1.000 is as good as it gets (with the maximum amount of light concentrated in the airy disk), 0.990 seems about as much as you could expect for a mirror of this size.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Not messing around now are you Mike!

Given that a theoretical Strehl ratio of 1.000 is as good as it gets (with the maximum amount of light concentrated in the airy disk), 0.990 seems about as much as you could expect for a mirror of this size.

thats great to hear stu. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2