SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

On 11/10/2022 at 14:01, flyingdutch20 said:

Just been reading it front to back - what an amazing thread - 6 years in the making. Beautiful build - Love it.

Hope to see it in the flesh at some point as well - any star parties planned up north? Kielder maybe?

Ted

hi ted. i have moved to very dark skys so dont need to take it around the country anymore. next year france is on the cards though 🤣

thanks for the comments

• 1 year later...

hi everyone. been a while but never gone away.

i have never been totaly happy with the dob movment. have tried all different types of bearing surfaces,polishs and waxs. spaced the teflon different still had to much stiction and movment was right.

gone down the route now of polyurethane coated cam follower bearings, 3 on the ground board ( azy )

and 4 on the rocker bx ( alt )

its took a few months to complete. since sept last year 😄 to be precise @Peter Drew suggested it and a few on cn.

so some pics coming and hopefully some more reports very soon

mike

oh yes movment is awsome. no notchy ness but stays put due to the polyurethane bearing

• Like 1

Just now, NGC 1502 said:

Good work, a Dob with smooooth movements is a joy to use😊

BTW your workshop is a whole lot tidier than mine!!

Cheers from Ed.

yes makes a difference, especialy high powers in the dob hole 🤣

• Like 2

I love this remake on your fine scope, as Ed said above, smooth movement on a Dobson is a pleasure to use.
Somehow i had it in my head your scope was all wooden, clearly not from the above.

Is that sited in a unique looking shed or observatory?

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I love this remake on your fine scope, as Ed said above, smooth movement on a Dobson is a pleasure to use.
Somehow ups had it in my head your scope was all wooden, clearly not from the above.

Is tat sited in a unique looking shed or observatory?

hi Alan, if you go back a few pages it was all wooden. made a new base out of alloy .

it is just sited in there, think there is some pics on here, its a barn shed. just wheel it out and observe. mag 21.5 skys here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1