Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

2 hours ago, swamp thing said:

Hows she balance Mike? 

Gotta be close........

steve its absolutely perfect, ok tube lengths arent right yet but who knows could be. but no sticking up or down or left to right, doesnt even squeak :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

I've been following this thread silently for a long time and have been so impressed with your resolve and patience to create something really special.  I am so, so pleased that you now have that precious glass.  It's been epic, and it's just the start of the wonderful time you and your scope are going to have together.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!  :headbang::hello2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

steve its absolutely perfect, ok tube lengths arent right yet but who knows could be. but no sticking up or down or left to right, doesnt even squeak :icon_biggrin:

Good stuff matey :) 

Looking forward to seeing it parked alongside mine. Should make a nice pair ooh err missus :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

I've been following this thread silently for a long time and have been so impressed with your resolve and patience to create something really special.  I am so, so pleased that you now have that precious glass.  It's been epic, and it's just the start of the wonderful time you and your scope are going to have together.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!  :headbang::hello2:

what kind word, thank you paul :icon_biggrin:

• Like 3

I haven't subscribed to this thread until now, but I have been following it with admiration for a long time.
You're a  credit to the Telescope DIY fraternity. I don't know if such an organisation exists, but perhaps it should.

I've made a few scopes over the years, and made several mirrors of various sizes, but nothing larger than 15".
Your workmanship is Top Class, and all the accolades aimed at you in this thread are truly well justified.

I'm very pleased the tension you must have been enduring over the delay with your 20" was shared by everyone else  I think,
however, I see it above, and it is chomping at the bit, as it can't wait to start devouring all those magical objects you are eager to see.

The build isn't finished, but it isn't far off, and I'm as hungry as everyone else to to read your First Light Bulletins :smile:.
Super job young man, very well done indeed.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, barkis said:

I haven't subscribed to this thread until now, but I have been following it with admiration for a long time.
You're a  credit to the Telescope DIY fraternity. I don't know if such an organisation exists, but perhaps it should.

I've made a few scopes over the years, and made several mirrors of various sizes, but nothing larger than 15".
Your workmanship is Top Class, and all the accolades aimed at you in this thread are truly well justified.

I'm very pleased the tension you must have been enduring over the delay with your 20" was shared by everyone else  I think,
however, I see it above, and it is chomping at the bit, as it can't wait to start devouring all those magical objects you are eager to see.

The build isn't finished, but it isn't far off, and I'm as hungry as everyone else to to read your First Light Bulletins :smile:.
Super job young man, very well done indeed.

words like that from a gentleman like yourself are realy touching. thank you very much indeed barkis.

• Like 4

I've just read a few of the above comments and flicked back and seen a few pics of the beast which have sent goose bumps down my spine! It might take a a while but I'm going back to page 1 and reading the whole shabang :)

My hat off to you faulksy, you clearly have some mad DIY skills :icon_salut:

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

I've just read a few of the above comments and flicked back and seen a few pics of the beast which have sent goose bumps down my spine! It might take a a while but I'm going back to page 1 and reading the whole shabang :)

My hat off to you faulksy, you clearly have some mad DIY skills :icon_salut:

should see his welding chris!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

should see his welding chris!

I've just seen his welding on the mirror cell and alt bearings which look perfect! Very impressed, I was rubbish at welding when I trained in engineering which is why they stuck me on the lathes :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2016 at 18:07, faulksy said:

heres the pics, box is a bit ripped but thats because i was trying to use a adjustable spanner to open the box outside 00

DSC_0255_1.jpg

DSC_0256_1.jpg

DSC_0258_1.jpg

DSC_0259_1.jpg

just bonded the dew guard onto the secondary

DSC_0260_1.jpg

23 hours ago, faulksy said:

cell ready to be loaded

DSC_0261_1.jpg

cell lowered, will it fit

DSC_0263_1.jpg

she fits, spot on

DSC_0264_1.jpg

DSC_0265_1.jpg

Well done Mike, after your low point on Tuesday I was half aexpecting a pm with a for sale price and negotiations to commence . And myself looking through a 20" dobby this weekend would of been very nice ?. But I am so happy that you took all the feedback on board that helped you get through the low point ,and in the end everything has come together for you. And after all your hard work over these months ,you would of really kicked yourself if you had of sold your big dobby in your low moment.

I hope when you get your first few proper session's  in with dobby (uk weather conditions  kindly permitting ) that those DSO really are intensified with that Big 20" light grasping mirror combination and 1/10 superior quality ground mirror finish. Should be a great view and a far more in depth view of this vast universe we are in. As your a DSO man Mike I can see this dobby being a long term companion for you so great you will reap the benefits.

Mike congratulations on getting to the end lap with  20" Faulksy built big Dobby . Enjoy☺

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Well done Mike, after your low point on Tuesday I was half aexpecting a pm with a for sale price and negotiations to commence . And myself looking through a 20" dobby this weekend would of been very nice ?. But I am so happy that you took all the feedback on board that helped you get through the low point ,and in the end everything has come together for you. And after all your hard work over these months ,you would of really kicked yourself if you had of sold your big dobby in your low moment.

I hope when you get your first few proper session's  in with dobby (uk weather conditions  kindly permitting ) that those DSO really are intensified with that Big 20" light grasping mirror combination and 1/10 superior quality ground mirror finish. Should be a great view and a far more in depth view of this vast universe we are in. As your a DSO man Mike I can see this dobby being a long term companion for you so great you will reap the benefits.

Mike congratulations on getting to the end lap with  20" Faulksy built big Dobby . Enjoy☺

thank you so much simon, kind words and the truth, already been looking through it today at some leaves on trees around 50 meteres away, could see all the veins and a lady bird having a feed, it was yellow very strange :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, faulksy said:

thank you so much simon, kind words and the truth, already been looking through it today at some leaves on trees around 50 meteres away, could see all the veins and a lady bird having a feed, it was yellow very strange :icon_biggrin:

Are you sure it wasn't just a reflection of your center spot :lol:

• Like 2

quick quick review, got to be up at 4 A.M. lol

clear skys, so had to try and set my pole lengths up, had to cut 125mm of them in the end but now it balances beautifully, whilst removing the poles each time a kept putting the lid over the mirror, i was setting up on polaris, try and find it with no finder set up and 2 yellow street lights 30 foot away and eye level lol. any way coming to the last stages with setting the parracor up and i couldn,t find anything, 10-15 mins went buy i knew the colimation was out but whats going on, you guessed it the cover was on the mirror box :iamwithstupid:

any way got it set and stars are super bright polaris was so easy to split with the 21e , checked colimation and the primary centre spot was well out but left it, had to find the ring neb, got it wow colours were great even though i had no shroud and my garden was lit up like daylight, made up cant believe it.

quick add on, cant believe the different colour stars never noticed it before , or not to that extent they were well obvious . HAPPY BUNNY INDEED

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 25