SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

damian how can you say there going realy quickly, its not in my hands yet :icon_biggrin:

you should ask them if they have any jobs damien

Think they might say yeah we've got this 20" 1/10 wavelength mirror that needs doing :help:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Think they might say yeah we've got this 20" 1/10 wavelength mirror that needs doing :help:

Is this the one you are waiting on Mr Faulks?

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 15.20.10.png

Call back tomorrow to find out if it's finished :rolleyes2:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DRT said:

Is this the one you are waiting on Mr Faulks?

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 15.20.10.png

Call back tomorrow to find out if it's finished :rolleyes2:

Naw, it's THIS one he's waiting for (I'd have more than a wan grin on my face if that was my mirror in the pic above :D ):

Image result for telescope mirrors for sale
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, faulksy said:

hopefully it will happen today derek. got to ring them ar 9.00 . fingers crossed, if they say no im going to go ballistic

2 hours ago, faulksy said:

just come of the phone and spoke to the boss, he doesnt know if its done yet, hes going to phone me around 13.30

This is not good Mike , delay , delay, not sure???? ?. A 20 " mirror of 1/10. Surely they cannot say ready Friday to you ,and then today not sure. It not like you to can leave a 20" couple of thousand pounds of mirror lying around on the floor somewhere . Maybe someone at OOuk has mistakenly hung it up in the staff toilets thinking it was a new bathroom mirror for them ??????. , But seriously Mike I do feel sorry for you I hope it's located and they put it in a taxi at there expense ,or someone at staff OOuk puts it in there car and deliver it to your door for this evening. Keep my fingers crossed for you Mike. 

Edited by Timebandit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, faulksy said:

It's not finished,  told him I want to cancel the order.

Does anybody want to buy my dob complete with focuser and sips. Just need the mirror 

Don't give up mate. You've put your heart and soul into that Dob and it will last you a lifetime.

Did he say what stage it is at?

• Like 2

I agree with Derek, don't give up chap, you deserve your scope more than anyone.

Get a firm report telling you where it is and how far there is to go. Get a chunky discount too!

EDIT Actually, just tip up at their place and ask to see it being worked on!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree with Derek, don't give up chap, you deserve your scope more than anyone.

Get a firm report telling you where it is and how far there is to go. Get a chunky discount too!

EDIT Actually, just tip up at their place and ask to see it being worked on!

That's not a bad idea. It is easy to fob someone off on the phone but much more difficult when they are looking you in the eye clutching a wad of twenty pound notes!

It might also help to tell Barry face to face that a large group of his potential future customers are watching or participating in this thread and he is doing himself no favours by treating you so badly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, faulksy said:

Does anybody want to buy my dob complete with focuser and sips. Just need the mirror 

Hi Mike, we must of been posting at the same time by the looks of it. Bad news that mate. I cannot believe the bad luck you are having trying to get your hands on this  OOuk mirror. You have put so much work into your Faulksy 20" Dob build. I really thought joking aside  that the Big mirror would be with you today or tomorrow at the very latest. I am getting aperture fever after seeing your build progress and a few other big  dobs recently appearing, and a 20" would be nice and very tempting. But you have built this scope from scratch Mike , put your considerable skill and effort into it.  And you are at the last hurdle , all that is left is that mirror. Do you really want to sell. Don't do anything in the spur of the moment. Have a few days to think about it and the mirror situation also. Keep your chin up Mike I am sure you will want to keep that Dob Faulksy build and get a solution to that mirror.

I hope OOUK look at a few of these postings and give you a phone call and get a solution for you. As we all want Mike to finish his 20" Faulksy Dob build.    

• Like 3

This is going to be a fantastic scope when it's finished: WHEN not IF!

I feel for you and know you've been waiting a long time for the mirror, but you've put a lot of work in so far for it to be scuppered by someone else. Just point them at this thread and show them how a big a posse are going to rock up at their door demanding to know where your mirror is.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DRT said:

That's not a bad idea. It is easy to fob someone off on the phone but much more difficult when they are looking you in the eye clutching a wad of twenty pound notes!

It might also help to tell Barry face to face that a large group of his potential future customers are watching or participating in this thread and he is doing himself no favours by treating you so badly.

I think they've already lost them weeks ago ...and the more people who read this are going to be put off

• Like 3

A gentle reminder, to myself as much as anyone else... Let's keep this focused on Mike's build and make sure we don't get inflamed into supplier bashing.

Mike will do a review once he has his scope completed, I'm sure.

Thanks all!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

Sorry to read this. :(

I suggest you give yourself a bit of time so that you can think more clearly. If you have paid a deposit, that is very likely to be non-refundable.

If it is a matter of time, please heed the advice of others on this forum and wait.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, estwing said:

Don't think that we are supplier bashing.... Just can't understand their lack of customer care...

No Calv, no one has been, it was just a reminder to be careful. No offence meant to anyone.

• Like 4

Yes don't give up Mike, you've come this far, just take a deep breath. Keep at them in a tactful manner, disgraceful service but the end product will be immensely worth while.

Edited by scarp15
  • Like 3

When I was in their office a couple of weeks back there was a note written on the whiteboard about a 1/10th mirror, marked as "urgent", I wonder if it was yours?

Hang in there Mike, it'll come in the end, just hope it lives up to its intended specs.

• Like 2

thank you all so much and thanks for the encouraging words it means a lot and its a big help :icon_biggrin:

when i went to bed i woke up at 3.30 and rang them, i said were was my phone call at 1.30 they said what no one rang you i said no. he explained and said its at 1/10 now but still needs a bit more polishing, its cooling now and will be tested once its cool, then hopefully silvered , i asked if it came out ok then went on to the silver stage how long before i can collect he said 2 days. dont know anymore than that. :sad:

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tim said:

When I was in their office a couple of weeks back there was a note written on the whiteboard about a 1/10th mirror, marked as "urgent", I wonder if it was yours?

Hang in there Mike, it'll come in the end, just hope it lives up to its intended specs.

thanks tim, i can guess why you was there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, faulksy said:

thanks tim, i can guess why you was there.

I'd be surprised if you could Mike :) 

My 18" orion mirror has really bad astigmatism. John at Orion tested it the other day and confirmed that the primary is the cause, and pointed out a couple of dinks on the rear edge of the mirror and a heavily ground chamfer on the rear edge, stating that the mirror has been reworked by somebody, not them, and that the dinks cause the 'stig.

I'm getting a second opinion, naturally, as Orion quoted £2200+ VAT for a re-working of the mirror. I'll also be chatting with the only other party to have had the mirror in their possession since it was made to see if he has anything to say about the reworked edge.

One thing I know for sure, the mirror was ordered at f4, but was sent out at f4.5, so was sent back to OOUK for re-doing.

Will keep you updated ;)

• Like 2