Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

33 minutes ago, Tim said:

I'd be surprised if you could Mike :) 

My 18" orion mirror has really bad astigmatism. John at Orion tested it the other day and confirmed that the primary is the cause, and pointed out a couple of dinks on the rear edge of the mirror and a heavily ground chamfer on the rear edge, stating that the mirror has been reworked by somebody, not them, and that the dinks cause the 'stig.

I'm getting a second opinion, naturally, as Orion quoted £2200+ VAT for a re-working of the mirror. I'll also be chatting with the only other party to have had the mirror in their possession since it was made to see if he has anything to say about the reworked edge.

One thing I know for sure, the mirror was ordered at f4, but was sent out at f4.5, so was sent back to OOUK for re-doing.

Will keep you updated ;)

hi tim, i did look through your dob at sgl last year so i figured thats why you was at 00. good luck with it tim

• Like 1

Hang in there Mike, I can only imagine the frustration, but it will be worth it no doubt, with many a year's pleasure.  Fingers crossed it comes soon, but best to have it well figured.  Your structure deserves a fine mirror!

6 hours ago, DRT said:

Is this the one you are waiting on Mr Faulks?

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 15.20.10.png

Call back tomorrow to find out if it's finished :rolleyes2:

I bought my mirror from him! :)

Nice & helpful guy too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, niallk said:

I bought my mirror from him! :)

Nice & helpful guy too.

Just a random picture that I picked up from Google. I suppose large telescope mirror making is a very small world :smile:

• Like 2

Just now, DRT said:

Just a random picture that I picked up from Google. I suppose large telescope mirror making is a very small world :smile:

Ha ha :) - yeah that's James Mulherin from OMI.

They had my mirror in stock, and from ordering the scope with a deposit to full delivery from the US to Ireland it took 3.5 weeks... I was impressed by the service & responsiveness of Dave K and James.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, niallk said:

Ha ha :) - yeah that's James Mulherin from OMI.

They had my mirror in stock, and from ordering the scope with a deposit to full delivery from the US to Ireland it took 3.5 weeks... I was impressed by the service & responsiveness of Dave K and James.

Very impressive - but we are in danger of making a grown man cry so perhaps we should go back to being sympathetic :wink:

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Hmmm!! Speedy. 

What more can one say.......... :( 

Reminds me of my alt bearings :D Are 20" Dob builds cursed or something

i think your right steve, just hope it ready for the sw bash then elan then skye

• Like 2

I've been catching up with this thread today Mike. The past 12 hours or so makes heartbreaking reading :embarrassed:

I really hope OO get this sorted for you PDQ. I can't believe that they have any more than a couple of commissions of this scale on the go at any one time so there can be no excuse for not having bang up to date info on the current status of your mirror.

SGL is the 2nd largest astro forum in the world and I'm sure the largest potential customer base for OO. I simply can't believe their lack of impetus to sort this out in a positive way for the customer. I often wonder when I hear of tales like this - how would the senior people at OO feel if they were treated in this way ? :mad:

Edited by John
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, John said:

I've been catching up with this thread today Mike. The past 12 hours or so makes heartbreaking reading :embarrassed:

I really hope OO get this sorted for you PDQ. I can't believe that they have any more than a couple of commissions of this scale on the go at any one time so there can be no excuse for not having bang up to date info on the current status of your mirror.

SGL is the 2nd largest astro forum in the world and I'm sure the largest potential customer base for OO. I simply can't believe their lack of impetus to sort this out in a positive way for the customer. I often wonder when I hear of tales like this - how would the senior people at OO feel if they were treated in this way ? :mad:

very nicely put john :icon_biggrin:

BUT  orion optics just phoned well 9.00 and said its done and ready for collection today at 14.00 :happy6::happy6: cant believe im writing this

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, faulksy said:

BUT  orion optics just phoned well 9.00 and said its done and ready for collection today at 14.00 :happy6::happy6: cant believe im writing this

Good luck buddy. Make sure they're not attaching any clouds to it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonshane said:

Great news!

I am not sure how long a mirror test takes to do but in the circumstances might be worth arranging for them to do one while you watch / before you pay?

hi shane, i did wonder if you new about my build. i was told yesterday that it should be in spec if not it will be another 3-4 days. when they tested it last night it was perfect so threw it in the chamber to coat it :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

just phoned 00 back, still cant believe this great news. top fella there said yes collect today at 14.00 its in the chamber now being coated but will be finished dont worry. should i mention all these comments ? inputs please

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Great news!

I am not sure how long a mirror test takes to do but in the circumstances might be worth arranging for them to do one while you watch / before you pay?

Takes minutes to set up. Having done a bit of mirror testing you need to know what you're looking at, but even a novice can tell when some thing is symetrical and a figure of revolution. 

The star test is the ultimate arbiter of a good (or bad) mirror and can be performed by anyone. Learning how to read the results and work out whats happening is what takes time. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 2

I have been following mate. It's an awesome project.

I am sure the mirror will be fine but better  safe than sorry.  In the back of my head I am sure I read about coatings having to harden off for a period.  Again, I'd check this.

• Like 2

Great news, Mike :headbang2:

9 minutes ago, faulksy said:

just phoned 00 back, still cant believe this great news. top fella there said yes collect today at 14.00 its in the chamber now being coated but will be finished dont worry. should i mention all these comments ? inputs please

I think they do need to receive feedback on how this transaction has felt from your point of view but today is perhaps not the day to give them it.

Perhaps take a few days to reflect and allow the excitement of receiving the mirror to fade slightly and then write a factual, objective and balanced review to post in the SGL retailer review area. You can then send them a link to and a copy of that review along with an offer to discuss it with them if they are genuinely interested in improving their customers' experience.

Given the number of similar experiences I have read about here and on their Facebook page I strongly suspect they have little interest in hearing this stuff but I don't think that should stop us telling them.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, DRT said:

Great news, Mike :headbang2:

I think they do need to receive feedback on how this transaction has felt from your point of view but today is perhaps not the day to give them it.

Perhaps take a few days to reflect and allow the excitement of receiving the mirror to fade slightly and then write a factual, objective and balanced review to post in the SGL retailer review area. You can then send them a link to and a copy of that review along with an offer to discuss it with them if they are genuinely interested in improving their customers' experience.

Given the number of similar experiences I have read about here and on their Facebook page I strongly suspect they have little interest in hearing this stuff but I don't think that should stop us telling them.

Agreed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

Hurraaaaay. Well done Mike. All a bad dream yesterdays news?. Things are now looking up?

When you go and collect, take lots of bubble wrap to help protect that 20 incher.  Walk carefully to your care also with that big mirror, no tripping. Also lots of soft blankets to go on your vehicle floor to help with vibration when driving.  

This all reminds me when I picked my Dob up, worried all the way back home about damaging it. Total relief when I got back , parked up and scope in one piece?

I should imagine there will be a bit of a tailback this afternoon around the Wrexham area. As Mike drives his BIG newborn home carefully at 5mph ??. 

• Like 3