Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

9 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Wow that is one nice dob like to get a look through that one day Mike.

6 minutes ago, faulksy said:

no problem , when ever we meet up take it for a spin :headbang:

Me second in the queue please Mike ?

Very very nice , really have made a cracking job of that dobby.

When it's in the dismantled state. How long does it take to put everything together Mike, and get collimated, so ready to use?

Also love the truss shroud, your pretty good with the needle and thread, well talent. Nice to see a few more pics?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Does it need a Vauxhall V6 to drive it on the Wheel barrow handles Mike? Must weigh some? 

didnt know that was on there, thats a 3.0 mv6 engine i put in that vectra

50 minutes ago, DRT said:

Very nice, Mike :smile:

So, which bike did you have W474 RVT attached to? (looks like a £60 fine for being under-sized to me :wink: )

that was actually the bigger number plate :icon_biggrin: that was my first brand new R1. i did get fined

48 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

When it's in the dismantled state. How long does it take to put everything together Mike, and get collimated, so ready to use?

Also love the truss shroud, your pretty good with the needle and thread, well talent. Nice to see a few more pics?

the sewing is quite good isnt it, made a case for my poles today as well. don.t know yet simon can,t imagine it being long though. but you have to let it cool anyway

• Like 1

Just now, faulksy said:

that was actually the bigger number plate :icon_biggrin: that was my first brand new R1. i did get fined

:lol:

Last time I got fined for that was 90 minutes after I drove one of these out the showroom in Edinburgh and got pulled over at Washington Services just past Newcastle :rolleyes2:

But she was a thing of great beauty...

yzf1r0101.jpg

She was my second Thunderace - I wrote the first one off at five days old driving through a rainstorm in Glen Coe :sad:

That's why I now drive Dobs instead of motorbikes :wink:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

Last time I got fined for that was 90 minutes after I drove one of these out the showroom in Edinburgh and got pulled over at Washington Services just past Newcastle :rolleyes2:

yzf1r0101.jpg

She was my second Thunderace - I wrote the first one off at five days old driving through a rainstorm in Glen Coe :sad:

the last time i got fined was on my gsx-r the police were chasing me and my mate, didnt know they were there untill we slowed down coming into a 30mph zone. the copper said he was doing 150mph and we disappeared :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

you did well to reach the pedals at five days old mate.

Some of us are just born talented, mate :wink:  :lol:

2 minutes ago, faulksy said:

the last time i got fined was on my gsx-r the police were chasing me and my mate, didnt know they were there untill we slowed down coming into a 30mph zone. the copper said he was doing 150mph and we disappeared :icon_biggrin:

Obviously as a law abiding citizen I must condemn that behaviour. I don't remember ever breaking the speed limit on my bikes :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, faulksy said:        

the sewing is quite good isnt it, made a case for my poles today as well. don.t know yet simon can,t imagine it being long though. but you have to let it cool anyway

Yes , that's a big old piece of glass to reach ambient temperature. To fan or not to fan comes into mind now. Above or below the mirror. But I think with a mirror that size then some type of converted industrial blower would probably be a better bet. I better not start a debate again on fan cooling, different post for that elsewhere . Anyway scope set up looking great?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, niallk said:

You could put Heather out of business with your 'Shrouds by Faulks' !! :D

Truly amazing job on the completed scope - hope you get a great run of weather now taking it out to dark skies.

i think, your the only one that spotted that niallk :icon_biggrin:

not quite finished yet, still need the dew kit making and installing

• Like 1

13 hours ago, faulksy said:

didnt know that was on there, thats a 3.0 mv6 engine i put in that vectra

imageproxy (2).jpg

13 hours ago, DRT said:

yzf1r0101.jpg

I thought I had clicked on the max power site by mistake when I came across these?

I did not realise you chaps were into petrol Mph ,as well as universe lights speeds   . 

Heavy duty speed freaks , We like ?   

• Like 2

On 09/09/2016 at 23:13, Timebandit said:

hi simon, didnt time it to build, but from viewing to all put away even the poles in the cases and put the wheels on, it was 15 mins

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beulah said:

I'm drooling here.... sexy car engines, bikes and massive dobs...this thread owns!!

Sure you got enough BHP, there?! :D

that was my build sam before scopes came along :headbang:. it was a mistake putting the car up, must of ticked it on photobucket

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing thread! Just read this from Post No. 1! 

Great work, dedication and patience which paid back with an excellent result! I look forward to reading about your observations.

Thanks for sharing this story and all the fantastic pictures about how your dobson was built in all its stages. Very inspiring work! 

Piero

• Like 1

Hi Mike. Is the Faulksy Dob all ready for the SW meet? I take it this will be the first public appearance of that cannon of yours(better give it an extra bit of polishing later). I should imagine you are not going to get to much time at the eyepiece , as lots of people will want a little peek through the eyepiece to see what a 20" 1/10 mirror can produce and see what us with normal ish size aperture scopes do not experience. Your 20" scope can reach parts that other scopes cannot?.

Anyway Mike have fun at the SW meet and enjoy that lovingly hand  made dob of yours, you deserve to enjoy the fruits your labour. And by the way a , lovely location and a great wide expansion of open sky's, hopefully will stay dry and clear for you  .?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So what else do you need to do to the scope to finish it off ? It looked and performed as if it was finished to me in South Wales Mike... some gold plate maybe !!!

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1