SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New extra special toy

bomberbaz

Ok so recently I made the decision that I do afterall prefer wide field views, (I kidded myself that this was not the case) also that I am something of a minimalist type of person. If something does not get used, does not have a specific need earmarked for it or is superceded then I tend to get rid. I am a little OCD in some ways regarding that.

So I made the decision sometime since that I would look to add to my 2" EP's and lets the smaller ones go if not needed. 

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I saw this mentioned in a post somewhere and fell in love with it. 

post-26735-0-28038300-1443009488_thumb.j

It is the NIKON Nav 17HW. The 17HW is 17mm FL - hyperwide as it is 102 degre FOV. The first thing I will say about it is it feels so solid and just so very nice in your hand that it simply oozes quality. It looks like it should be in a government observatory or similar, I think I am a little at a loss to describe just how good this looks/feels. I have had or held quality eyepieces from many providers including TV & Pentax to name a couple but this is just in another league altogether. I know that these are a little pricey but for those that do not know it combines with a screw on supplied reducer type lens (EIC) and this gives me a 17mm with a 14mm for the price of one luscious piece of kit.  I justify this outlay (have we not seen a post about that recently  :grin: ) as I will be adding to it a TV 2" 2x Powermate that will, along with existing 2" EP's cover all my bases except for very high power which is currently being reviewed. This also greatly appeals to my minimalistic side with a place for everything and everything has a place.  :p

post-26735-0-15790000-1443009791_thumb.jpost-26735-0-96809400-1443009795_thumb.jpost-26735-0-85696200-1443009807_thumb.jpost-26735-0-09713300-1443009861_thumb.j

Next you see the size of the box it came in, its massive, never seen one like it. The bits inside, they Included obviously the glass itself, instructions (In Japanese, well they would be :rolleyes:) and there is a nice leatherette bag which also contained an extra winged eyecup and the EIC. Next you get a better comparable when I put it next to an 18mm X-Cel EP. 

The lenscaps are an unusual design, can't decide if I like them or not although that does not detract from the overal quality whatever decision I reach on those.

post-26735-0-58047100-1443010049_thumb.jpost-26735-0-56981600-1443010065_thumb.j

Finally there is the barrel sleeve. It is around 20mm thick and held in place by the small silver screw, I read it it for people who do not have enough inward travel but made removable so do away with the need for a 2" parfocal ring, it does look much better although not sure if I will need it or not although it matters not.

Last picture is the EIC attached. Not one bit finnicky to get on and smooth as you like to tighten & remove.

She (yes its so beautiful it has to be a lady) will give me magnifications of 88, 107, 176 & 214 with the Powermate. (Existing SWA giving 136 PM'd.)

I will of course give it a full workout at the earliest opportunity and let you know how it performs. However judging off the quality I do not think I will be disappointed. 

I am waiting delivery of the powermate and a better quality OIII filter to finish things off.

oh clear skies please hurry back  :rolleyes:

Steve

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how the minimalist set plus Powermate approach works for you Steve.

I've tried it myself and still have a 2" 2x Powermate in my eyepiece case but I do find myself preferring to use native focal length eyepieces for medium and high powers rather than Powermating my longer ones. This is not really for optical reasons but rather the weight of the Powermate + heavy eyepiece combination and perhaps the hassle factor of messing with another piece of expensive equipment, in the dark and possibly with gloved hands.

It will be interesting to see how the minimalist set plus Powermate approach works for you Steve.

I've tried it myself and still have a 2" 2x Powermate in my eyepiece case but I do find myself preferring to use native focal length eyepieces for medium and high powers rather than Powermating my longer ones. This is not really for optical reasons but rather the weight of the Powermate + heavy eyepiece combination and perhaps the hassle factor of messing with another piece of expensive equipment, in the dark and possibly with gloved hands.

This is something I have thought about also. I will be watching for evidence of flexing near the focuser as I agree the weight of the PM and in this case, Nikon-Nav could well cause issues in that area.

However my stepson works as an engineer and assures me he could make a thin strengthening plate that would go on the inside of the OTA to counteract this if it were to happen.

So yes a concern but I believe any occurence can be dealt with otherwise I would not have gone this way.

Glad to know we are on similar wavelength though  :cool:

Steve

Difficult as there are not that many about but it would be nice to see it tested against the 17mm E. BTW Steve, did it come from a UK outlet or have you been flying.

Lovely piece of equipment

Alan

I shipped in from Japan Alan. Got nabbed by customs but I still got what I think is a very good deal. Exchange rate really favours sterling at the moment  :cool:

Steve

Archived