Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New extra special toy

bomberbaz

This is something I have thought about also. I will be watching for evidence of flexing near the focuser as I agree the weight of the PM and in this case, Nikon-Nav could well cause issues in that area.

However my stepson works as an engineer and assures me he could make a thin strengthening plate that would go on the inside of the OTA to counteract this if it were to happen.

So yes a concern but I believe any occurence can be dealt with otherwise I would not have gone this way.

Glad to know we are on similar wavelength though  :cool:

Steve

thats what i did steve

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

works great

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have a little more to play with as mine if a flextube and the top section much smaller than your full tube. I envisage a smaller plate than you put in place but I am note sure until I get chance to play around with the PMate and EP in focuser, for that I still need the on order PM.

I shall keep people informed once I get time to do so.

Thanks for the pics though, very informative.

Steve

you have a little more to play with as mine if a flextube and the top section much smaller than your full tube. I envisage a smaller plate than you put in place but I am note sure until I get chance to play around with the PMate and EP in focuser, for that I still need the on order PM.

I shall keep people informed once I get time to do so.

Thanks for the pics though, very informative.

Steve

your welcome steve

do you need an extra counter weight with it ?

I already have 2 large earth magnets at the bottom of the OTA but only time will tell me if anymore is needed, it is something that crossed my mind also tbh.

thats mega steve. look foward to flr . have you got anything to compare it with, like john says 17e or similar

Think one of my astro mates close to me has a 17E, not sure though. I would like to go side by side against one. TBH I would be disapointed if it wasn't at least a draw.

Steve

I already have 2 large earth magnets at the bottom of the OTA but only time will tell me if anymore is needed, it is something that crossed my mind also tbh.ww

Think one of my astro mates close to me has a 17E, not sure though. I would like to go side by side against one. TBH I would be disapointed if it wasn't at least a draw.

Steve

it would surely be a draw, but i imagine it would be like looking through a 100* pentax xw

Phew ! - the Nikon Nav HW 17mm plus the EiC corrector are listed at just under £1,000 at APM Telescopes in Germany :shocked:

I'm sure your deal was better than that Steve :smiley:

From the reviews I've seen of the Nav 17 and 12.5 they certainly are a match for the Ethos equivalents and maybe a touch better in one or two areas.

Currently the Ethos 17mm is £553 and the 13mm is £479 but the HW 17mm is a 14mm with the EiC in place so I guess you could say the price is very similar for the focal length coverage.

I can't see the views being any less than spectacular with the Nav HW :grin:

Your Skywatcher 22mm SWA might be knocked off it's perch .....

Phew ! - the Nikon Nav HW 17mm plus the EiC corrector are listed at just under £1,000 at APM Telescopes in Germany :shocked:

I'm sure your deal was better than that Steve :smiley:

From the reviews I've seen of the Nav 17 and 12.5 they certainly are a match for the Ethos equivalents and maybe a touch better in one or two areas.

Currently the Ethos 17mm is £553 and the 13mm is £479 but the HW 17mm is a 14mm with the EiC in place so I guess you could say the price is very similar for the focal length coverage.

I can't see the views being any less than spectacular with the Nav HW :grin:

Your Skywatcher 22mm SWA might be knocked off it's perch .....

Hahaha no way would i pay a thousand quid. Think it worked out about 750 john. Still a lot of dosh though.

The 22 will be usefull as a spotter due to narrower fov but also with the 2x pm will fill a gap at 11mm so will keep it. However i agree, it will likely see less action

I've used telescopes smaller than that! :-)

It is beautiful though and I can fully understand that you just had to have it. Even the fact that it's a she I understand, which is a bit sad I suppose.

As a minimalist kind of observer myself, I recently sold all my 2" eyepieces in an attempt to lighten my load. Its a good job I nolonger possess a 2" diagonal otherwise, as we live in the same town, i may be tempted to beg you to try it on my little apo.

You could be a bad associate from my bank accounts perspective.

Mike :-)

Wow, I didn't even know that Nikon made telescope eps. Thanks. A very impressive bit of kit by the way.

It has always baffled me as to why they are not more easy to get hold of, from what I have read they make very good EP's, some rate them higher than TeleVue and that can't be bad.

Alan

Just in case anybody wants to look into them, I got mine from this guy. His name is Barry (thats Japanese for Barry) and he really is very helpful. Review of his dealership to follow.  http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html#NikonHW eyepieces

Thanks for the link.

Google tells me his price of 99,800 Yen is £545. Did you pay import duty/VAT on top of that price or was it just that price plus shipping?

A pretty impressive set of eyepieces Yong, but the tin lets it down a bit, what is the focal length of it.

I think with the import duty and any other charges they are a tad more than TeleVues Ethos range, which is much larger, but very nice eyepieces. Their camera lenses have always been heald in high regard. I remember at school when I was 16 The art teacher, who was a very photographer told me a full set of the Nikon camera lenses would cost 5,000 pounds, you could almost put two zeros on that now.

BTW when are we going to see a 7mm showdown, I see there are two.

Lovely eyepieces and a nice thread!

Alan

Archived