Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 400 hour image...

ollypenrice

Thanks Olly, and everyone for their comments. I'm delighted with the result, so I'm glad you're enjoying it.

This almost got out of hand, as despite the 11000 chip size, at 530mm, we thought we would not finish this. With the three taks running, we were mopping up a lot of data. In one night we took almost 19hrs of data. We had a great week in Oct and another in December where we got 6 nights in a row clear which allowed us to almost finish it. Another few nights this year and hey presto. 

Blending the RGB was a right pain. Many different tools and techniques were tried before it was acceptable.

The printer I use for my other pics has a max of 44inches width. So that could still make a 44x70 approx image. Now that I look forwrd too. For something bigger, well thats another story and I dont have the answer yet on that. The big problem at the moment will be printing it out at that 44x70 size, as it'll top the 4 Gig PS limit when upsize to 300dpi. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime to answer some other questions like what next....... Well there is another one on the way. Should be out in the Summer, not as much data as this one, but the same size and with a lot of signal in it. Thats a hint too of its FOV  :)

Edited by Tom OD
  • Like 7

Congratulations to you both. A truly mesmerising image. Your skill and dedication is amazing. I hope somewhere has the sense to commission a large scale print. The Royal Observatory at Greenwich would be fabulous. I could also see this selling well on a smaller scale perhaps to companies and private buyers. Only wish I had space for the 8 metre version! A great achievement. Well done and I look forward to seeing future projects.

• Like 1

Olly and Tom, currently, I am only able to view the low resolution version (issue at my end, not yours!) but even that is enough to confirm for me that this is a very, very special image - well done both of you!

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

• Like 1