SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The 400 hour image...

ollypenrice

• 4 years later...

I m happy to say that the 400hr Orion image is now available to view at 40% full size through Zoomify on my website. Click on the Full Screen button then zoom and pan away.

https://www.astrophotography.ie/mosaics.htm

This is almost the 1.8m x 1.0m size that I print out as the largest size. So now you can see the Mosaic as it was meant to be seen. Big, very big.

The 14hrs per frame really shows in the detail, colour and quality as you zoom in and in. The overlays of the 1m data from the TECs on M42, Horsehead, Running Man, and M78 look excellent

at this size too.

I hope you enyoy it in a new way.

Thanks to my friend John Caffrey for working on the site, and to Olly Penrice for joining me in this project.

Tom.

Edited by Tom OD
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

As you know, I'm really glad to see this made public at a size which distinguishes it from other Orion mosaics - even if it could go even bigger! 👹🤣.  This does justice to a phenomenal capture in which I was privileged to play a part. After several years of psychotherapy I might even consider myself up for adding more, so as to bring in the WItch Head, for instance. Oh God, did I really say that?

Olly

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Err.. WOW!

50 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Wow well done awesome ,picks jaw off of floor 

33 minutes ago, tomato said:

Breathtaking.

Thanks Guys for checking it out. I'll be putting all the mosaics, or John will be :) in due course on the website. So there will be more to enjoy soon.

Tom.

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

As you know, I'm really glad to see this made public at a size which distinguishes it from other Orion mosaics - even if it could go even bigger! 👹🤣.  This does justice to a phenomenal capture in which I was privileged to play a part. After several years of psychotherapy I might even consider myself up for adding more, so as to bring in the WItch Head, for instance. Oh God, did I really say that?

Olly

Yes Olly had been asking about a bigger version for a long time, so it only took 5 years to finally deliver. As it turns out this had to broken into 1024 images to create the zoom version.

As for the Witchhead...... I started that Mosaic Winter 2019. I already have the Witchead in a 2 pane image, but the Winter Project is more of a 6 pane wide field, which would stitch to the 400hr Orion

and enhance it even more. The Witchhead region will have the same, if not more data in each pane.

When I m in my 60's I'll go the other side out to NGC2170 :)

Tom

I've seen this image several times including the large print that adorns one of Olly's walls at Les Granges and I always find it inspirational. That the image is now on line in all its glory is great news! Well done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I've seen this image several times including the large print that adorns one of Olly's walls at Les Granges and I always find it inspirational. That the image is now on line in all its glory is great news! Well done.

On my all too brief visit to Les Granges in 2016, a lasting memory was the Orion print on the wall and then the Hunter in person dominating the pre dawn sky as we left to drive to the airport.

44 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

24 minutes ago, tomato said:

On my all too brief visit to Les Granges in 2016, a lasting memory was the Orion print on the wall and then the Hunter in person dominating the pre dawn sky as we left to drive to the airport.

Lovely to hear a lot of people have seen the print on Ollys wall. It certainly belongs on the walls in Ollys. No better place to have one.

Tom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, goodricke1 said:

Along with Jonas' M31 image, this is my all time favourite SGL masterpiece. Epic, monumental, stupendous.

13 hours ago, goodricke1 said:

Along with Jonas' M31 image, this is my all time favourite SGL masterpiece. Epic, monumental, stupendous.

Jonas makes classy pics.

13 hours ago, RayD said:

Absolutely sensational.  I could literally pan around that for hours.  I'm viewing on a 5K Mac and boy does it look good on that!

Bravo all involved, top class.

I need a bigger and better monitor / tv.

11 hours ago, Xiga said:

Simply breathtaking. 

This should come with a health warning. You could get lost in this for hours! 

:)

11 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Absolutely fantastic result Tom and Olly. Congratulations. Skill, talent, expertise and perseverance all in equal measure. A real work of art.

Thanks to all for your comments. I m happy it being enjoyed in this format.

Tom