Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just observed it my self,after a bit of searching finally foundit with 10x50s quite easy once i knew where to look.

Then in the 8"sct,in the 28mm swa it looked fairly bright,pity about the moon,if this comet keeps going the way its going should be a nice site in a darker sky.

Just had my first glimpse of this (first comet :grin: ) through the CPC1100 with the 22mm Nagler. Just a fuzzy ball in the very bright Moonlit sky but at least I can say I have seen it!

I found it using the very helpful Heavens Above tool by punching the co-ordinates into the GOTO. Not quite Bear Grylis style comet hunting but with so much light pollution star hoping at that level just isn't practical from where I am.

Looking forward to later in the month when the Moon disappears and we will get a clearer view.

Can't say it was easy, (99% Moon and LP) and required my 250px / Skytee combination at 50x magnification to find it. But this is my first visual comet :grin:  so worth the effort and now I know what I am looking for in the week to come as conditions improve. The view did improve at 150x and after a few minutes of 'getting my eye in' the center was noticeably brighter. 

I must say the Moon was stunning tonight with amazing detail on the craters around the limb. 

Paul 

I just managed to make out the comet tonight with 8x56 bins using the detail map from Heavens Above. Would never have found it in the haze and moonlight otherwise. I didn't get much of a view, just a bright bit where it was supposed to be, but I've seen it :)

Knowing where it was after finding it with the CPC1100 Goto I managed to find it again manually using the 6" Newt and Nagler 31mm. Very small and washed out with the glare from the Moon but satisfying to find it manually.

I tried with the 8x40 binos but couldn't see it or any of the stars that are around that area.

Was more than happy to spot it with my 10x50s last night around 8pm ish, despite the moon, a haze, and a streaming cold. Looking forward to having a try to image it when moons more out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

During my final look at the comet through the CPC last night a satellite (or UFO) passed through the FOV just above the comet. For a brief second my brain got very confused and thought that the comet was moving past a stationary star. It's funny how your mind can play tricks.

Very good seeing from Brazil, just overhead. It was quite big before the full moon. On the 28th, it was much bigger than M79, 4x +/-.

Now during the full moon I am concentrating on the planets, and my tradicional night swimn under the stars. :glasses9:

After seeing a lovely full moon rising yesterday, I got clouded out :(

Me too. The forecasters tricked me into setting the scope up in the hope of two or three hours of clear sky. By the time the big orange Moon cleared the tree at the bottom of the garden I was under a blanket of fast-moving cloud and saw nowt. :sad:

Me too. The forecasters tricked me into setting the scope up in the hope of two or three hours of clear sky. By the time the big orange Moon cleared the tree at the bottom of the garden I was under a blanket of fast-moving cloud and saw nowt. :sad:

I had the reverse, at twilight it was cloudy and 4casts said 100% cloud for the rest of the night, so I settled down by the fireside and TV.

As I was about to go to bed a quick look outside revealed a perfect sky with bright moon.

But it was too late, comet had set :(

I need to investigate how-to a camera outside and wireless to a monitor !!!

Yey found it using my 8x30 bins and it showed quite clearly. Even shows up on a pair of diddy 8x2.1

It is currently in a nice position to navigate too. Plus for me it is directly up from a neighbours ariel makes it easier to repeat find right now.

Can't use the telescope yet as it is not high enough.

Archived