Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

The Sky Held up, my Nerve held up and my Thermals have done wonders......

I am currently Observing Lovejoy from the Garden with my 8" Newt.

Very Bright Core, with a bright halo around fading to a fainter, more extended halo outside that.

There appears to be a thicker Lobe towards the upper right quadrant on my view, and a thin streak leaving the coma going upwards.

It is a very pretty little Comet, even so low down, so I think it will be a cracker as it climbs.

Mick

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i spotted it around 11 ish in the 10x50s on tripod. Sky conditions not bad but would have liked a bit more mag to darken things up a bit. The meerest of a non stellar glow, but doubt i would have even seen that hand held.  Should be easier to see as it rises over the coming days. Just about a Christmas Day comet for me !

andrew

Well done Mick. Failed here I'm afraid.

However, it was nice and clear to show a few crowed pleasers to my visiting brother and his partner. Neither had looked through a telescope before so, most satisfying. But it did make scanning the southern horizen looking for comets with the 10X50's, an excersise in hope rather than anticipation.

Paul

Well I failed to see it on Christmas Eve from our clubs dark sky location due to pesky high cloud skirting along the southern horizon so last night I drove out to a more local site with a good south horizon and bagged it with the first frame I shot. Whilst the camera was clicking away I grabbed my 8.5 x 42 binoculars and found it visually very easily. I'll post a photo later but I think I deserve a lay in first.

Mel

By the showing last night,

I think that this Comet is going to be good and bright for some time so should be fine as it floats

through Eridanus and heads North.

The Tail of the comet was difficulty to make any thing of last night although the general direction of it was fairly obvious

it was pretty faint and seen only intermittently at any distance from the halo. I think it will be good enough to show itself

clearly when higher but we shall see.

The Nucleus and surrounding Halo though are unmissable at around Mag 5. 

From 23:32 until 00:22 I had exacly 50 minutes of viewing time before it slunk back behind the houses  to my SSW. That will increase as it gets higher.

Once again, veiwing Comets has brought me other benefits, as whilst I was waiting I managed to catch Europa Floating

towards Ganymede, and slowly Occulting it, then moving serenely away.      Absolutely stunning.

I have attached my log page below.

Clear skies    Mick

post-7564-0-79317700-1419596149_thumb.jp

Q2 was up much higher last night, in Lepus now and climbing steadily.

It is Good in Binos and detail is visible in scope.

Very bright core and bright Halo, but still little more than a hint of a possible direction to which

a tail may extend.

It all got very misty to my south only 4-6 mins after Q2 appeared so it was a very brief look, and tatty clouds

then piled across from the North.

It is clear and frosty today so perhaps a better sky with more veiwing time tonight if the mist does not

roll in again.   Drawing attached FYI.

cLEAR SKIES,  mICKpost-7564-0-47852500-1419765079_thumb.jp

Unmissable last night in the 15x70s, and just about persuaded myself that it could be glimpsed naked eye in moments of perfect seeing. At 1146UT a satellite (I presume) suddenly appeared, travelled virtually through the northern coma, before disappearing equally as quickly. V cool!

I went outside last night about 11.30pm to a crystal clear sky right to the horizon. Grabbed the 20x80 binos and easily found the Comet just above the stars Nu1 and Nu2 in Columba although I guess that the Comet had crossed the border into Lepus.

The core was very bright although I could not make out a tail. This Comet looks very promising so if it stays clear I will use the Orion VX8 tonight especially as it will be very close to M79.

Found M79 a couple of nights ago with 10x50s but couldn't find Lovejoy, found it last night so must be getting easier, may set up the mobile rig for tonight if the forecast looks favourable, can't see it from the obs'y.

Dave

I had a recce last night from an elevated position at work with SkySafari by my side.

Q2's position was well clear of the horizon and projecting lines through Orion gave me a very accurate idea of where to look. Unfortunately there was a band of cloud that wasn't going anywhere fast right along the horizon :(

The good news is that I'm off for 4 days now and heading up to rural Cumbria. Hoping to bag Q2 tonight!! :)

Some encouraging reports here :smiley:

Last night was forecast clear but in the event wasn't so no comet or other watching was possible from here :sad:

So far today though looks very promising. Hope the clear skies last this time !

At the moment the sky is crystal clear to the horizon. I have just been viewing the Moon with the 180mm Mak/Cass and easily saw the small craters Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin which is a good sign. The view was very steady so if this continues I will grab a few doubles and wait for the Comet.

Just tried for Findlay but no luck. Left the scope out for Lovejoy Q2 later. The forecast is a bit iffy but here's hoping. Also not sure that it will clear my garage roof yet from the scope position but if not I can try the binoculars from other vantage points.

If that all fails there is always the Jupiter moondance!

Kerry 

Archived