Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

Just had a peek. Despite some cloud and haze it's an easy target in the 10x36 IS bins. It does look a lot larger than a few days ago.

Conditions aren't good enough for me to do a mag estimate. Maybe later if the sky clears.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the 12" Dob ready to watch it only for it to cloud up and star raining. Typically the various weather forecasts said clear tonight. The UK really lacks quality in its forecasting compared to other places I've worked notably Japan which gets it spot on despite it being an island.

Just tried for it in 15x70s but quite a lot of haze in Leamington and also the neighbours ridiculously tall conifer is hampering things somewhat! Have to wait for it to clear the tree I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice views in both 15x50 binos and the 120ED at between x60 and x80. Clear brightening towards the nucleus. My skies are a bit rubbish tonight so no chance of seeing it naked eye

Nice views in both 15x50 binos and the 120ED at between x60 and x80. Clear brightening towards the nucleus. My skies are a bit rubbish tonight so no chance of seeing it naked eye

Agreed, I found 50x the best.

Looked great in the scope, could'nt make a tail out but saw a fuzz of light around the nucleus. Just in time too, the Moon was soaking up the light and the Comet gradually started to fade away so called it a night.

Great way to start 2015 :)

120ED is out, hope to get a look at it later when it clears the tree!

I've just been looking at it with my ED120. Nice though thin cloud is taking the edge off it at the moment. Seems to have a very star-like centre, unless it's actually sat on top of a star that is !

It might be a naked eye object here without the cloud.

I've just been looking at it with my ED120. Nice though thin cloud is taking the edge off it at the moment. Seems to have a very star-like centre, unless it's actually sat on top of a star that is !

It might be a naked eye object here without the cloud.

Same here John - despite a bright moon and thin cloud coming and going he's shining through. Gonna be a belter with no moon and good skies!

And congratulations Lee on your first comet - that must be a great feeling. I love comets - even if they don't look spectacular (but it's nice if they do!). It's the fact that they are unpredictable and change from night to night as they slip through our solar system. It's a real treat to follow their course.

Kerry 

First spot of Lovejoy for me tonight! First with bins, then with 10 inch dob, then in a final attempt to make out the tail, with a 60mm frac. No luck spotting the tail, but happy to have seen the comet. The core was pretty bright, easy to catch despite close to full moon.

Speaking of the moon, it looked amazing tonight low in the sky with the MkI eyeball, really orange, almost a hint of a planet like Mars about it!

I was thinking something similar when looking tonight at various magnifications.........quite bright in the middle in a granular kind of way! Lovely view from here and it has really travelled far. The moon and LP were preventing me from seeing a tail in bins or a scope, but the moon should be backing off quite a bit each night now.

This is a rare treat!

I was delighted to spot this chap from London's finest light pollution and through the bright moonlight.  Belting along at quite a rate!  These rough shots were barely 30 minutes apart.

post-8410-0-08756800-1420584459_thumb.jp

post-8410-0-32489300-1420584461_thumb.jp

Archived