Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What % do we reckon mainly image on this forum

beamer3.6m

Just a quick thought as more and more people seem to be turning to astrophotography.

What percentage do we think do AP as their principle interest. I don't mean among other non astro interests by the way.

Just wondering.

My guess is 65% - 70% of the active posters. Not to say that they all stick at it, like myself.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may well be right there. One thing about imaging is that you get a tangible and shareable result at the end of it so it is 'easier' to justify a post to share and invite comments.

Many of my observing sessions are enjoyable to me, but probably fairly mundane in the grand scheme of things so don't necessarily justify a post.

i without doubt i do more visual than imaging, but i do post much more on imaging than anything else. i agree with what has been said before, you get a "end result" that is easy to share and comment on.

the visual takes so many different forms from, a casual sweep with the binos (up and running in seconds) to binos on tripods or the telescope on my HEQ5. i do think if you just do imaging you miss out on so much stuff!

Sounds like a good topic for a poll!

I would be curious to know as well. I like both observing (DSO's and solar system) and imaging (solar and lunar).

Just a quick thought as more and more people seem to be turning to astrophotography.

What percentage do we think do AP as their principle interest. I don't mean among other non astro interests by the way.

Just wondering.

My guess is 65% - 70% of the active posters. Not to say that they all stick at it, like myself.

I'm more of an imager, largely because my drawing skills are sub-infantile, and variable star observing doesn't really grab me, which is my fault, not the subject.

Another point is that if I point my telescope at a DSO all I'll see is a grey (Possibly with a green tinge in the case of M42) splodge, whereas even with the modest kit I've been using I can see structure and some (Possibly a lot of) colour.

I will do visual in the case of planets or the moon, but I may get into imaging those too.

Plans are to put my imaging kit on a pier-mounted Avalon and use my Mak-Cass on the HEQ5 for visual, and possibly planetary imaging.

My observing is very much a part of 'outdoor activities', seeing the wonder of nature at night.  Being out there under the stars.

Visual!!!

IS binoculars for a quick fix or with dobsonian (& Mountain Bikes) during holidays that somehow always mix great countryside, low light pollution and a new moon ;)

Imaging for me. I have never even looked through my 115mm 'frac despite owning it for a few months now.

I have a set of binos in the obsy which I'll sometimes use to scan the heavens once the subs start rolling in. Nice when the weather is warm.

I suspect (I don't do it, so I don't know.) that there's more to go wrong with imaging and, therefore, possibly more to discuss. The ratio of imaging posts to visual posts may be greater than the ratio of imaging members to visual members.

Visual only. I have neither the  finance nor the patience for astro photography, and I would never reach the standard (or the equipment) of the experts - so I look at their pictures!

Never ceases to amaze me that visual guys/gals say ap is expensive when most serious (read cashed up) visual guys could buy my imaging rig many times over if they sold one or two of their ep's. :D

50-50 for me , imaging by day , visual by night ...  :smiley:

Will get back to snapping the dark stuff come the darker nights but I'm just a dabbler , too little patience for grabbing umpteen hours on one target ... and very little idea processing-wise ...  :p

Primarily visual astronomy for me. I like the relaxing, almost meditative feeling I get when I'm in the garden under the starry sky with my scope(s). However, the hobby photographer in me wants some attention sometimes as well, so every now and then I dabble a bit with some very basic lunar/solar/widefield imaging.

What else is there to do when the cameras are whirring? Have a look around through some other glass...

Same here. I'm probably 50:50 visual and imaging. I sketch as well but think of that as visual.

Archived