Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

My leg weights are held on with a combination of velcro straps (to hold it roughly in place), then backed up with a load of elastic bands to make it a snug fit. That makes it easier to remove if you need to... tape would be a bit of a one-way process (and leaves residue on you nice new shiny OTA if left for too long).

Oh ok. I have some Velcro though it's of the heavy duty type - the stick-on is really hard to get off! Insulation tape is easy enough to remove. It's, um, just a metal tube! As long as it's functional, I don't much care! :tongue: I've left the scope in the box in my bedroom this afternoon - too cold for messing about in there. Will have a go with it tomorrow :)

Louise

Oh ok. I have some Velcro though it's of the heavy duty type - the stick-on is really hard to get off! Insulation tape is easy enough to remove. It's, um, just a metal tube! As long as it's functional, I don't much care! :tongue: I've left the scope in the box in my bedroom this afternoon - too cold for messing about in there. Will have a go with it tomorrow :)

Louise

I just need to add, the velcro isnt actually stuck to the scope, I used it to extend the leg strap of the ankle weight so it fits the circumference of the OTA.... a bit like having a really big leg...lol.

I just need to add, the velcro isnt actually stuck to the scope, I used it to extend the leg strap of the ankle weight so it fits the circumference of the OTA.... a bit like having a really big leg...lol.

Ah, I see! Still, I'm not bothered about sticking some Velcro to the tube itself. At the mo, it's still in the box! I'll definitely get it out tomorrow! :) As you suggested previously, it looks like there'll be little chance of actually trying it out this month :(

Louise

hi Rob 

do you have a focal reducer on your 130 pds and if so where did you get it, i find myself wanting to do a bit wider field shots than my 200 pds will allow.

Yes I do use a FR (of sorts), its just the Skywater coma corrector. As well as fixing the coma (but not as good as the Baader in that aspect), it has the odd side effect of being a 0.9x reducer. And that reduction factor is tuneable (ie: more distance = more reduction, but more coma). Ive managed to get mine running about 0.87x(ish), which translates to f4.4.

Though its great for NB, its not really apochromatic - so you need to refocus between filters (something you dont need to do with the Baader). If I were to do some RGB work, id probably switch to the other corrector.

• Like 1

After reading this post I'm considering selling my Celestron Astromaster 130eq and buying a Skywatcher 130 pds!  I can't quite afford the £450 200 pds at the moment. 

The images posted on here are absolutely amazing!!

• Like 1

I just want to say thanks to the contributors on this topic. I have finally.....finally....finally....got good balancing with the 130 PDS with my imaging train (100D + cc). I was going daft but then I read the posts.....and then made up 2 x 500g home-made counterweights, secured them to a spare large dog collar (literally), and velcroed them to the mirror end. It has worked like a dream. Thank you folks.

Now happy to recommence imaging with my EQ6 AZ GT. Cheers.

• Like 1

I just want to say thanks to the contributors on this topic. I have finally.....finally....finally....got good balancing with the 130 PDS with my imaging train (100D + cc). I was going daft but then I read the posts.....and then made up 2 x 500g home-made counterweights, secured them to a spare large dog collar (literally), and velcroed them to the mirror end. It has worked like a dream. Thank you folks.

Now happy to recommence imaging with my EQ6 AZ GT. Cheers.

look forward to seeing your results :)

latest attempt from my little 130-pds

im quite out of my comfort zone with comets lol as this is my 1st time imaging one and 1st time creating a GIF...... still need to stack my comet data to give me a nice picture, i will get around to it once i finish processing my M31 data,,,,,, only been processing it for about 3 months lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFpopWXFk08&feature?version=3&loop=1&playlist=JFpopWXFk08&feature

not sure if this silly video or GIF is going to upload properly....its one thing making the gif, its another thing trying to upload it....giving me right head aches :(

edit. it looks rubbish via this way,,,,,oh well lol

Edited by tingting44
  • Like 4

thanks for the info rob but i went the other way and got the 80ED with and FF so now i can get some Wider shots (when the cloud clears) 

Though its great for NB, its not really apochromatic - so you need to refocus between filters (something you dont need to do with the Baader). If I were to do some RGB work, id probably switch to the other corrector.

the only filter i needed to refocus with is the blue all others seem to be fine but then that was with the 200p ds and the skywatcher cc not sure if that makes a difference.

thanks again

thanks for the info rob but i went the other way and got the 80ED with and FF so now i can get some Wider shots (when the cloud clears) 

the only filter i needed to refocus with is the blue all others seem to be fine but then that was with the 200p ds and the skywatcher cc not sure if that makes a difference.

thanks again

No prob mate :)

Youre using the 383 with the 80ED reduced yes? Then i might suggest 900s subs as a benchmark, but certainly not below 600s as f6.38 does the 383 no favours.

• Like 1

No prob mate :)

Youre using the 383 with the 80ED reduced yes? Then i might suggest 900s subs as a benchmark, but certainly not below 600s as f6.38 does the 383 no favours.

yip it is the 0.85 reducer F/F for the 80ED.

hoping to go 1800 sec or more now that i can get over 1800 sec with the 200 pds without human error lol just want to try and get more without doing a mosaic all the time, it will help cut down on sub capture time if i can get it into 1 or 2 frames insted of 4 or 6 frames plus all the other problems with mosaics  :smiley:

thanks .

On balance it will work out quicker than the 200p for larger stuff, slower FR yes - but youre grabbing a lot more sky so youre cutting down on mosaics. Im currenty trying to finish a 6 pane mosaic - which seems to have taken forever! January wasnt a kind month for AP.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, hopefully if I can get another night or two (with no Moon) I can finish it off and present a full resolution version. Whether I get that night between now and the end of Feb is another matter! Something tells me I might still be doing this one at SGLX :)

• Like 1