SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

Thank you, Louise

Didn't know they had different names. Gonna make a search fo it.

that brazilian site you gave me is the store i bought my current telescope and it's a very good store, i contacted them but they don't sell it and are not importing at the moment.

For the moment i think i'll pass on the coma corrector right now as i'm still learning, maybe later when i get more demanding :)

Yeah, I don't have a coma corrector for mine yet - not even tried it visually at night yet either! Weather looks like being cloudy for another week, at least. I fear February will be write-off just like January was :(

Louise

Thanks again Uranium. I have gone with the ST80 and dovetail so that I can use it with the LX200 when the target is appropriate (and my skill levels reach a suitable level!) Order placed with FLO so can now get excited! Thanks for your help of which I will no doubt be seeking more at some point!! 

I know that Uranium has actually sawn of the ridge of the skywatcher coma corrector in order to put the whole camera setup further inside the focuser and thus reduce the length the focuser sticks into the actual tube. Would there be another coma corrector fitting the 130 pds where you wouldn't need to do that? Anyone has one?

After a long abscence I've finally managed to start with NB imaging...

Moon was up - but with Ha you get quite a good result as opposed to my previous Canon attempts... lol

Anyway, judge kindly, I somehow need to figure out how to prevent stars from bloating. As well - On the stars right hand side I can see an indentation which I think stems from the focuser tube jutting forward into the scope tube.

Anyway - now I'm waiting for clear skies to add OIII and SII.

Oh, and I've realised that by imaging several nights and adding more images you de facto are making your final image smaller, because you will never be 100% spot on with your subsequent images, hence cutting off at the edges in stacking. So I guess - looooong exposures is the way forward to increase image size... sigh... On the bright side (even though this image below is 500s exposures) I did manage to do one night of 1000s for the first time with SII. With the moon nearly full, you couldn't really see anything unfortunately. And, now all these images are stuck on a USB stick that suddenly decided to pack it in... uff

get.jpg

Edited by Russe
  • Like 4

Congrats on taking the plunge and going Narrowband. I've just hit the second stage in the prcess by modding my DSLR and using a UHC filter to cut down light pollution. Just trying the modded camera out tonight. Started with a few subs of the California neb to test out the Ha gathering capability and am currently imaging M101. Yet to process these.

Look forward to see your finished Elephants trunk - looks like a very good start - it must be quite exciting producing CCD images for the firsdt time ! The amount of detail revealed is amazing. Great to see you can use the technique to defeat moonshine - that really increases the time available to image DSOs ! Great way to fight the dreaded light pollution as well. Only disadvantage I guess is the length of time spent imaging by adding in the different wavelengths over a number of sessions. I use Astrotortilla to keep targets central although there must be an easy way of getting the camera in the same position every time to avoid too much cropping when stacking !

I feel I need to muck about some more to drag out the last dregs of performance from my DSLR now I've had it modded before I feel I would be ready to get a CCD - although hopefully not too long !

Cheers

I know that Uranium has actually sawn of the ridge of the skywatcher coma corrector in order to put the whole camera setup further inside the focuser and thus reduce the length the focuser sticks into the actual tube. Would there be another coma corrector fitting the 130 pds where you wouldn't need to do that? Anyone has one?

The Baader MkIII will fit the bill. It all screws apart so you can break it down to an M48 thread, it offers no redcution factor - but the field is good.

• Like 1

Bloomin 'eck Uranium....I hesitate to post, having seen that last image.

To hell with it....hello folks, this is my first attempt with a modded Canon 100D with Astronomik CLS clip filter, using the Skywatcher CC, sitting on the 130PDS, sitting on an EQ6 AZ GT.

27 x 210 seconds with darks, flats, bias and dark flats. Unguided.

Have managed 4 minutes unguided but playing safe. Totally incompetent but keen as mustard. Cheers.

• Like 8

Hi all, this is my 1st process of M81 & M82, i cant ever seem  to get to a place where i am happy with my images, im way too fussy....i know what i want to do, just my Pixinsight skills are not up to what i need to do, and i try to over think things in processing which really seems to bog me down, any way this is my 1st process of this target....

This was taken at Turf Hill on Saturday 21`st Feb, it was a good night collecting the photons, how ever i had quite a lot of problems lol, but hey ho it would not be astro imaging if there were no problems  :D

i ended up with.....

16 x 10min light subs @ ISO800

50 flats @ ISO800

50 darks @ ISO800 (taken from my darks library to match light temps)

140 bias @ ISO800

thanks for looking

clear skies

16461968597_a31a619369_c.jpg

M81 & M82 by tingting44, on Flickr

• Like 19

Very good. Both galaxies have high dynamic range with cores which eadily blow out but here they are nicely controlled.

Olly

wow thanks Olly, means a lot coming from you and the high quality work you produce! thank you ever so much :)

It might be of no help and I don't do deep sky as I can't afford a proper camera so I just webcam planetary, I stuck some sticky back wheel balancing weights to my scope for when the webcam is in and the heavier eyepiece, I only have a beginner scope but they work pretty well. I guess you could put a few on a Velcro strip and put that on the scope so they come off easy.

The 130pds is a scope I hope to own one day and of course a camera that doesn't have (bridge) at the start aha

I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Hope it doesn't get stuck in customs here :)

I've had mine for nearly 6 weeks but not had a chance to use it yet!! :( I'm going to set it up with a solar filter tomorrow in preparation for the partial solar eclipse on the 20th March :) I'm sure you'll enjoy imaging with yours :)

Louise

• Like 1

I've had mine for nearly 6 weeks but not had a chance to use it yet!! :( I'm going to set it up with a solar filter tomorrow in preparation for the partial solar eclipse on the 20th March :) I'm sure you'll enjoy imaging with yours :)

Louise

please post when you catch it, it won't be visible here.

the 130p-ds will be a great fun and i'll keep using the 114p for visual with my little niece, an astronomer in the making :)

• Like 1