SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

A 314 will be a good match for this telescope. Epicycle has had good results using his H9 camera (which has the same chip), and that was without extensive modification - but Im sure he had to drill & tap a third hole for another thumbscrew to ensure the coma corrector was seated correctly.

Thanks Uranium235.

I have a third thumbscrew mod on my list of things to do anyway for my DSLR (thanks to your guidance :smiley:).

If I go for the 314L I might treat myself to a focuser upgrade and move my current one to the 200P if possible.

Hang on to that M45 data, its going to be around for a while yet so you could develop that one into something a bit special (given enough long subs).

You say that as if people actually delete files! [emoji46]

Now completing my 1 year cyclus with AP in November. The most important i've learned is what not to do and what i need to make better astrophotos.

M_45_30_09_14_zpsd2530e79.png

M_33_30_09_14_zps11296c9c.png

NGC7000_30_09_14_zps6c6c7bb3.png

NGC6960_zps6f7323d0.png

M31_031014_zps531e16b9.png

Maringne_11_10_14_1024_zpse1a9eb28.png

Moon0001_111014_1_zps45432a6d.png

Excellent work! How do you get to put the time in? Between weather and kids...

Fair play to you, the effort has been worth it![emoji106]

You say that as if people actually delete files! [emoji46]

It does happen! ;)

And if youve already got good data, re-use, top-up, or use it as an RGB layer. Ive had some projects span three years (shows how often I dont change my gear...lol).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent image Uranium235, good to see it finished :grin:

Question for anyone with a 314L+:

I'm purchasing a Atik 314L+ for use with this scope, will the Coma Correcter still be required in the imaging train?

Thought I might as well post another M31 -  19x8 min subs.  130 PDS and Canon 1100D using DSS, Pixinsight and Canon DPP.  Guided on a NEQ6 using ST80 and ASI120MC.  

I guess if I had put more thought into the camera rotation I may have captured it in its entirety perhaps next time !

post-36401-0-53364000-1416508576_thumb.j 

• Like 3

Robp, on 17 Nov 2014 - 1:39 PM, said:

Excellent image Uranium235, good to see it finished :grin:

Question for anyone with a 314L+:

I'm purchasing a Atik 314L+ for use with this scope, will the Coma Correcter still be required in the imaging train?

Yes +1

I've been there (with a 314), tried it, and came to the conclusion a CC is definitely required.

PS: Get the Baader, it wont throw a fit (like the SW does) when you point it at a very bright star.

Nice images HenryW, having terrible luck with the clouds here as well (last night being the exception).

Yes +1

I've been there (with a 314), tried it, and came to the conclusion a CC is definitely required.

PS: Get the Baader, it wont throw a fit (like the SW does) when you point it at a very bright star.

Thanks Uranium235 & tingting44. I already have the Baader CC just waiting for the adapter to arrive to get the correct spacing now.

The 314L+, HA filter and filter wheel arrived at the weekend so I was able to get some test subs last night (albeit without the coma corrector).

I haven't processed anything yet but even just looking at the previews you can consider me a CCD convert!

Just need to find the time to mod the focuser now.

• Like 1

My first Ha image with my new camera :grin:

Bit of a learning curve last night as its a little different to using a DSLR.

post-11689-0-07417400-1416871097_thumb.j

Orion Nebula

7x600s Baader 7nm Ha

25x10s Baader 7nm Ha (for the core)

130PDS

HEQ5

No Coma Corrector

Processing is a little rough and with no calibration frames, need to figure out a workflow for processing Ha images.

With cloud scheduled for the rest of the week I guess it gives me plenty of time to learn :sad:

To say that I am happy with this first test image is a bit of an understatement.

• Like 7

My first Ha image with my new camera :grin:

Bit of a learning curve last night as its a little different to using a DSLR.

attachicon.gifOrionNebula_314L_HAtest.jpg

Orion Nebula

7x600s Baader 7nm Ha

25x10s Baader 7nm Ha (for the core)

130PDS

HEQ5

No Coma Corrector

Processing is a little rough and with no calibration frames, need to figure out a workflow for processing Ha images.

With cloud scheduled for the rest of the week I guess it gives me plenty of time to learn :sad:

To say that I am happy with this first test image is a bit of an understatement.

Wow! [emoji16]

This is my 1st real go at stacking and processing an image completely with PI, ive had it must be about 2 weeks now, i think im improving with my processing side of things

This is only a re-process of the 4 hours worth of subs grabbed on the 29th of September would you believe it! that was the last time i had clear skies with no moon :(

Pixinsight process

15728554748_e114a7aa72_c.jpg

M31 (Pixinsight) by tingting44, on Flickr

Photoshop process

15147531728_ebb0956971_c.jpg

M31 - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

Single 10 min sub

15730354617_f0f4164066_c.jpg

M31  (single 10min sub) by tingting44, on Flickr

• Like 6

This is my 1st real go at stacking and processing an image completely with PI, ive had it must be about 2 weeks now, i think im improving with my processing side of things

I really like both versions. The PI one is more conventional but the Photoshop one has more of your own stamp on it. It's nice to see them both side-by-side.

As toxic suggests, blending the two is an option.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys, 

of course not toxic i do not mind...... i never thought of combining the PI & PS versions together, i might have to have a play with that tomorrow :) i am really liking the more softer image compared to the more sharpened images as i progress tho... :)

well im never going to get my planned 30 hours for M31 by the looks of it, still a good blue print to build upod in the future years to come :)

Edited by tingting44
  • Like 1