Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do you use to keep your unattended kit secure?

Living in the UK clear nights are at a premium. Unfortunately, I rarely make full use of them because I’m wary of leaving my gear unattended in my suburban garden.

Interested to hear what other people use for security. Alarms? GPS trackers? Ground tethers? Something else? Nothing at all?

Don’t get me wrong I’m not living in some lawless backwater, but burglaries do happen occasionally so I always dismantle and store before hitting the sack. However, I’d really like to run longer plans with my ASIAIR with peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

24C4F1DF-3C43-4AE1-98A0-76DDBF69FE9A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

I suggest just making access to the garden from the road as difficult as possible. I have a locked metal gate with barbed wire on top.

Thanks Peter. Pretty much there on that front and fortunately our garden isn’t visible at any point for the road. However, some neighbouring gardens have easier access to the road than others so there’s always sneaky ways to get into our block.

1 hour ago, Tomatobro said:

Bicycle anti theft motion alarms are good. Cheap and battery powered.

This one has a remote control to set and its very LOUD........

IMG_20220529_122126.jpg

Thanks. I have been looking at similar alarms. Are they susceptible to going off randomly e.g. if the rig gets jiggled by wind?  My neighbours would love me 😂

If you don't mind a bit of DIY then a vibration switch can be soldered across the push button contacts of a wireless door bell and then fasten the door bell switch to the scope.

The door bell can then be plugged into the mains so you get a warning if the scope is interfered with. This is the one I used from Ebay. The vibration switch also is available in various levels of sensitivity

TECKNET Wireless Door Bells 400M Range Home Cordless 38 Chimes Plug In Doorbell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

You could try putting it on a wheeled platform and rolling it into a locked shed.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Tbh I don’t mind the dismantling and putting away bit it’s just the fear of stuff being nicked if I leave it out all night, which is why I’ve been thinking about on-rig alarms and suchlike 😉

40 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

If you don't mind a bit of DIY then a vibration switch can be soldered across the push button contacts of a wireless door bell and then fasten the door bell switch to the scope.

The door bell can then be plugged into the mains so you get a warning if the scope is interfered with. This is the one I used from Ebay. The vibration switch also is available in various levels of sensitivity

TECKNET Wireless Door Bells 400M Range Home Cordless 38 Chimes Plug In Doorbell

That’s an idea, thanks! 👍

Right now for me it's just a lock and dead bolt. But I worry to the point I walk around my property almost every morning from 2:30 am  to 4am.

I make sure me and my bright white head lamp are visible while I'm out walking. 

They hit my brother's 4 times. The last time all they stole was the motion sensor camera he set to catch them.

• Like 1

In my criminal experience. Oops choice of words. Experience of trying to keep criminals at bay....

The first part is to let them know they have been detected. Something as simple as the motion detect lights that we all hate.
As soon as they are over the fence anywhere in the garden, some distance from the scope, a light comes on.
If the light is low power, like the solar powered lights, it is no trouble to install and not a bright nuisance.
This may be spuriously triggered by a cat, or just a flaky sensor. But you don't lose hours of images.
Motion sensors can have a short range radio link to a sounder in the house to disturb your slumber.

If they get right up to the mount, it is reasonable to do more. A wire loop 60-90cm off ground won't be cat triggered.
This can put on a big light and make a noise.
They will either run, or grab something then run immediately.

Finally fasten the mount/tripod to a ground spike and wire. If they make a grab, they won't get far and drop the scope before running.

As a general rule, the villains don't mind lurking if nothing happens. But if they think there is some activity, they may look elsewhere.
If there is a full blown 'lights and sirens' they usually could show Hussein Bolt a clean pair of heels.

Another approach is to make removing anything a lengthy procedure. Not a single quick release.
Why not replace the hand knobs to hold a dovetail in place by a allen head screws?
It increases your build up/down time by less than a minute. But if you don't have an allen key....
Something similar helps eyepieces stay in place on outreach😏

HTH, David.

• Like 1

I have 3 motion cameras in the Gard going full coverage of the area. There is also an Apple tracker thing attached to the mount., and the OTAs, in addition, my insurance cover includes specified items (description and serial number provided) kept outdoors against damage or theft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Right now for me it's just a lock and dead bolt. But I worry to the point I walk around my property almost every morning from 2:30 am  to 4am.

I make sure me and my bright white head lamp are visible while I'm out walking. 

They hit my brother's 4 times. The last time all they stole was the motion sensor camera he set to catch them.

I’d considered burying a concrete block and staple  to which I could secure the tripod, but the ota is still easy to remove.

That’s terrible luck for your brother. I’m probably over-worrying, but the risk is there. 

4 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

In my criminal experience. Oops choice of words. Experience of trying to keep criminals at bay....

The first part is to let them know they have been detected. Something as simple as the motion detect lights that we all hate.
As soon as they are over the fence anywhere in the garden, some distance from the scope, a light comes on.
If the light is low power, like the solar powered lights, it is no trouble to install and not a bright nuisance.
This may be spuriously triggered by a cat, or just a flaky sensor. But you don't lose hours of images.
Motion sensors can have a short range radio link to a sounder in the house to disturb your slumber.

If they get right up to the mount, it is reasonable to do more. A wire loop 60-90cm off ground won't be cat triggered.
This can put on a big light and make a noise.
They will either run, or grab something then run immediately.

Finally fasten the mount/tripod to a ground spike and wire. If they make a grab, they won't get far and drop the scope before running.

As a general rule, the villains don't mind lurking if nothing happens. But if they think there is some activity, they may look elsewhere.
If there is a full blown 'lights and sirens' they usually could show Hussein Bolt a clean pair of heels.

Another approach is to make removing anything a lengthy procedure. Not a single quick release.
Why not replace the hand knobs to hold a dovetail in place by a allen head screws?
It increases your build up/down time by less than a minute. But if you don't have an allen key....
Something similar helps eyepieces stay in place on outreach😏

HTH, David.

Thanks David. PoE cameras cover most of my garden, some very visible others sneakily obscured, and I do have a bright IR lamp which reacts to motion 10 or so feet of the scope.

The ground spike’s a good idea. I might sink a concrete block with a staple in the lawn under the tripod to accept a bike chain.

I also like the idea of swapping out hand knobs for hex bolts. 👍 

I’m not sure I’ll ever sleep easy whatever measures I put in place, but putting in measures to reduce risk of swiping will definitely help.

2 hours ago, iapa said:

I have 3 motion cameras in the Gard going full coverage of the area. There is also an Apple tracker thing attached to the mount., and the OTAs, in addition, my insurance cover includes specified items (description and serial number provided) kept outdoors against damage or theft.

Me too on the camera front. A couple are Arlo wireless - awful bitrate and terrible picture but their detection is good. They are backed up by 4 PoE cameras which have brilliant pictures but rubbish detection - loads of false positives. Using them together gives pretty good coverage.

I looked at Apple trackers - look useful and not too expensive either.

The insurance angle is something I’ll need to look into, thanks for the reminder 😉

15 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

In my criminal experience. Oops choice of words. Experience of trying to keep criminals at bay...

HTH, David.

The first item they took from my brother was a 20hp Mercury outboard engine. He had took the trouble to remove the simple twist handle bolts and replace them with bolts thru the transom. 

So undoubtedly, the checked it out then came back with tools!

Personally I like the idea of punji sticks, or one of those swinging devices used in the John Wayne movie. Probably not spelled correctly "The Green Beret".

But I know. Too cruel. 🤔

• Like 1

I had the catalytic converter stolen from my parked van by an armed gang (they shot another homeowner that challenged them) that used an angle grinder to quickly saw through the exhaust pipes at either end.  I'm sure one could be used to go through tripod legs or tie-downs in short order as well to get the OTA/mount head.  However, telescopes are much harder to move on the black market than CCs.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I had the catalytic converter stolen from my parked van by an armed gang (they shot another homeowner that challenged them) that used an angle grinder to quickly saw through the exhaust pipes at either end.  I'm sure one could be used to go through tripod legs or tie-downs in short order as well to get the OTA/mount head.  However, telescopes are much harder to move on the black market than CCs.

Guess we can do like Mad Max and booby trap our cars, and kits!😁

• Haha 1

On 29/05/2022 at 12:14, Mr Spock said:

Good luck to anyone trying to lift my 12" Dob over a 6' fence 😜

Hopefully not made of full fence panels that can be lifted out of their concrete supports VERY easily 😱

I do think the nature of the equipment is a deterrent to burglars without the need for fancy defenses. Many burglars ( or trespassers in this case)can barely read, if they could they would have progressed to more lucrative criminality. I don’t think they would be able to dismantle my EQ6 R Pro in the dark and without making a racket and there is little chance of them moving it fully assembled. If they did get away with it, what would they do then??…they don’t know what it is. I think the average burglar would opt for something simpler like the garden shears out of of your shed…something they can sell for the next bag of weed! However it’s always possible……

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 2