Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do you use to keep your unattended kit secure?

On 09/06/2022 at 09:23, herne said:

A simple, cheap solution I use is a personal attack alarm connected to a tripwire.

The type of alarm used is where a pin is removed to set it off.  For example this (cheap) or this (more expensive).

The alarm gets secured to something solid (I use a zip tie) with the tripwire (some fishing line) attached to the pin and stretched across a point of access.  For me, my equipment is set up on a raised platform which has railings all around it and a single set of steps leading up to it, so the tripwire goes across the steps.  I keep it at just below waist height to avoid foxes/cats setting it off.  A 140db alarm going off in the middle of the night will wake me up and (hopefully) scare off an intruder.

If it’s not possible to stretch it across a point of access, it could be attached to the scope - one part on the scope, the other connected to the mount - or perhaps on a tripod leg connected to something solid (plant pot, nearby bush etc).

Here’s a video to give you an idea of how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQq2otgKH4

Thanks for that - a great idea 👍 I like it because it’s less likely to suffer from accidental triggering. I’d probably attach it to somewhere on the scope with a pull wire into a ground anchor or the tripod. Maybe try and disguise it somehow so it just looks like another bit of Astro kit with a wire coming from it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Large dog. Our Airedale will actively guard and protect the property,

Even though the garden gates are locked, he is the motion detector even from indoors and an intruder will be left in no doubt that he means business.

But any dog that will raise the alarum will do the job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Leave your guard dogs out.received_1194175094488129.thumb.jpeg.2dd78967d1fec80a6d599ec614990ad9.jpeg

Cute! - If they bark they're doing their job of alerting you.  A dog is by far the best alarm system.
I've kept Airedales my entire life. They're naturally friendly but know when not to be, and can detect a gamin breaking into the neighbour's and then find out if they can run at 40mph up the street.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jefrs said:

Cute! - If they bark they're doing their job of alerting you.  A dog is by far the best alarm system.
I've kept Airedales my entire life. They're naturally friendly but know when not to be, and can detect a gamin breaking into the neighbour's and then find out if they can run at 40mph up the street.

The problem is they don't bark they yap, they yap at everything  and scared of everything as well   its funny my cats chase them and they run off yapping 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

The problem is they don't bark they yap, they yap at everything  and scared of everything as well   its funny my cats chase them and they run off yapping 

We had a Havanese that sounded like a much bigger dog when alerting and didn't yap at all (thankfully).  Great family pet and guard dog.  The only problem is how hard they are to get.

• Like 1

I leave an old mountain bike in the way. Its to big to put in a small car to awkward to take with anything else. More likely to ride off on it not knowing it almost useless. An easy steal for an opportunist anyone more determined is going to break doors in in any case. They eont be back for sometime if ever. 

• Like 1

The garden looks an overgrown jungle that might contain lions, tigers or bear traps. The ex pigsty (full of garbage) has its doors hanging off the one remaining hinge. The house itself looks as though the occupants don't have a cent, penny or koruna to their name! While all neighbours premises look IMMACULATE!! The mount is covered by a large plastic bag and a filthy old potato sack complete with grease stains...

I'm safe 🙂

• Haha 2