Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment physical protection and insurance

While I have not had any problem with cameras or mobiles/tablets (Otterbox is my friend), I am much more edgy on scopes. 

Eye pieces are protectable easily enough but dropping or knocking an OTA, or having to leave it for whatever reason can be un-nerving. 

While largish Newtonians are less prey to thieves than fracs & SCT/SMTs, the second two are more expensive and more tempting. Solo observing in a secluded location can seem or be scary. 

How do folks here feel?

Prevention is better than cure, accidents can happen, such as when tired, just so long as they are small they are fixable. I suppose the fall back for a margin of compensation should the worst happen, might have to be on house insurance in the event of theft / damage with intent. Solo observing in a secluded location, perhaps just have to look scarier than anyone visiting. Seriously though, a good and researched remote location ought not attract anyone else, I rarely encounter another person, occasionally the odd aurora hunters, hoping to photograph an event, in which they don't hang around too long moving to another location. If a scope is left outside for a period of time, I might place a scope cover over just in-case, I will not chance leaving equipment outside unattended over night, though in my yard it's the rabbits attention I most need to deter. 

Archived