Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Tardis obsy is no more

lukebl

Some of you might recall my Tardis roll-away observatory, which I had made a few years ago. Here it is in its heyday.

26904765781_0152df1fa6_h.jpg

Sadly, the elements haven't been kind to it. It was never really waterproof, and serious rot has set in in the base, so it's time to say goodbye to it and build something more practical. Anyway, my eldest son , who's now 18, is rather embarrassed by it. He thinks that having that thing standing in the garden made us look like a family of nerds, when in fact the only nerd is me.

So here's the first stage. Now to build its replacement.

51817938211_f0c62eedd8_h.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 12

It's sad to see it go that way. It's also sad that your son is embarrassed by having a tardis in the garden. I think a giant mushroom would be more garden friendly, where the mushroom would in reality be a rotating dome. Surely he couldn't find fault with that!?

images.jpeg.377ceabf6bd5fb39efe6069ff669da57.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

40 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It's sad to see it go that way. It's also sad that your son is embarrassed by having a tardis in the garden. I think a giant mushroom would be more garden friendly, where the mushroom would in reality be a rotating dome. Surely he couldn't find fault with that!?

That is a wonderful idea, and I wonder if I could get that past local planning..( aka  SWMBO).....:smiley:

• Haha 2

I'd replace it as it was, perhaps with some improvements such as a lazer turret instead of the blue light.

There is nothing nerdy about a Tardis in the garden. You should arrange for a Dr Who assistant, I bet his opinion would change pronto. 

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Why not go further. Everyone wants a flying saucer to land in their garden? Don't they..?

downloadfile.jpg.03d407f92f847abd4e2e2d1b4d9c792c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I love the Tardis observatory, a family of nerds is a good thing, it looks much nicer than the typical wooden structure so having it in the garden is another positive. I say build it again except stronger and a bit larger, go all out this time

and let opinions roll off you like water off a ducks back.

5 hours ago, 900SL said:

You should arrange for a Dr Who assistant, I bet his opinion would change pronto. 

Knowing my luck, I’d end up with Bradley Walsh, rather than Jenna Coleman.

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I agree with @jjosefsen   the Tardis observatory was truly  one of the coolest observatories, sad to see it go.  And yes, you must surely replace it with something which will embarrass the children even more - it's the law :) 

Good luck with the new build.

Jim 

• Like 3

Well, here's the replacement.

It's just a 4' x 4' shed bought for £400. I know it's not the TARDIS and just looks like an outdoor khazi, but it's pretty sturdy and, best of all, is waterproof!

51827381982_01da570d49_z.jpg51828671254_76fe54ab92_z.jpg51828327701_5a7af72f56_z.jpg51829050630_e100bde526_z.jpg51829050575_2a1bba94e6_z.jpg51828439148_fefbc1b845_z.jpg

51829050555_e219c12040_b.jpg

• Like 10